S. 1932 Status

I called the washington office at this number (202) 225-2801 and spoke with the secretary there. She told that she will find out about inclusion of sec 8001. I asked if i can send her an email with the power point presentation to be forwarded from my state.

I emailed her my power point presentation to be forwarded to the congress woman Stephanie Herseth. I will again call her and follow up now

Thanks

Good job Sandeep.
Why don't you email the PP presentation prepared by Sunjoshi to representative of Senator. I think it will help.

Once again, Thanks

Sandeep_N said:
I just now called and talked to Bryan Clark at the Senator's office. He assured me that the Senator supports these provisions. He also explained to me that the "motion to instruct" is done for only a few contentious issues. So just because noone put the immigration provisions in the instructions, it does not mean that it is stripped. He also said that he would call around and get back to me if he has any update. (He gave his e-mail I.D. also)
I would urge others also to keep calling

It seems most employers don't care on the bill since it does not do any good for them. I have just talked with my friend in HR for my comp (big comp with more than 30K people and 2+K visa holders). He said even many of us push for employers to help on this bill. Most of them don't do that (even my comp). The reason is the bill does not do any GOOD for them, just BAD.
1) Allow people to apply for I485 without waiting for PD become current = They will use AC21 to leave the company in 6 months and all their money to pay for that GONE.

2) Capture unused H1B = Why? They can still find people without applying new H1B. Today is not the time of DOT.COM

3) Capture unused GC = Why? They don't need GC.

4) Some people claim that many will leave US because of retro = Let count no more than 1% , he said may be less than 1/1000 leave because of that. However, every years additional 65K come on H1B and 140K come as spouse of the GC person. It does not include people who come via other ways. Just count the number people leaving is VERY SMALL. Ask yourself. Do you want to leave the US NOW and not collect those BIG paycheck which you will never get from your home countries ?

There is no reason for them to waste money and time to do this. That is why there is very low chance we can get the bill going unless we do a very big fight.

Send email, letter, call? No use since we are not the one to help keeping those Senators / congressmen their sit. If they don't help us, they lose NO THING. NO ONE care or know about that.

If we make the big fight all over the US (publicly and gather support from US CITIZENs who can make Senators / congressmen fate to get support for next terms), we might have a chance.

spgtopper said:
I am in MD and can meet someone in spector's office as early as tomorrow. I can also call right away. But, someone will have to really convince me as to why we are haunting Sen. Specter.

Any takers?

Arlen Specter is the original author of the bill, and is by far the most respected Senator on both sides of the aisle, on this subject matter. If you are able to meet with him/or his staff, that can be a very good positive step.

If you are willing to go to a senator's office and talk him thru this issue, It must be Specter. That's a no-brainer

newbies said:
Send email, letter, call? No use since we are not the one to help keeping those Senators / congressmen their sit. If they don't help us, they lose NO THING. NO ONE care or know about that.

If we make the big fight all over the US (publicly and gather support from US CITIZENs who can make Senators / congressmen fate to get support for next terms), we might have a chance.
Before you take on the big fight, do the little one first :) - call your lawmakers. And let us put a lid on the negativity in the interest of the task at hand?!

Coz
1. He is the one who introduced the sections in budget judiciary commitee .
2 . He is the one who defended this section against sen. Byrd's amendment
to remove these provisions .
3.he is the highly respected veterant and influential republican

In short its his baby do you need more reason pls feel free to ask.

spgtopper said:
I am in MD and can meet someone in spector's office as early as tomorrow. I can also call right away. But, someone will have to really convince me as to why we are haunting Sen. Specter.

Any takers?

newbies said:
It seems most employers don't care on the bill since it does not do any good for them. I have just talked with my friend in HR for my comp (big comp with more than 30K people and 2+K visa holders). He said even many of us push for employers to help on this bill. Most of them don't do that (even my comp). The reason is the bill does not do any GOOD for them, just BAD.
1) Allow people to apply for I485 without waiting for PD become current = They will use AC21 to leave the company in 6 months and all their money to pay for that GONE.

2) Capture unused H1B = Why? They can still find people without applying new H1B. Today is not the time of DOT.COM

3) Capture unused GC = Why? They don't need GC.

4) Some people claim that many will leave US because of retro = Let count no more than 1% , he said may be less than 1/1000 leave because of that. However, every years additional 65K come on H1B and 140K come as spouse of the GC person. It does not include people who come via other ways. Just count the number people leaving is VERY SMALL. Ask yourself. Do you want to leave the US NOW and not collect those BIG paycheck which you will never get from your home countries ?

There is no reason for them to waste money and time to do this. That is why there is very low chance we can get the bill going unless we do a very big fight.

This thread was started for people that BELEIVE that we can make a difference AND willing to do something about it. If you are a self-proclaimed loser and has no interets/clue as to what lawmakers think/listen/implement, You may want to start your own thread with the same same as your userid.

Not to sound rude, but many folks here have spent time and money for a COMMON cause (inlcuding deadbeats such as you, unfortunately), and if you feel no need for such efforts, buy a cool-aid, and watch Zee TV.

People should be more optimistic. This bill was introduced in the senate and got passed. The amendment to remove the wording of immigration (sec 8001)
got rejected with a overwhelming 84/14. That itself should provide us lot of confidence to fight. This is a land of opportunities and they are and there will be people listen to us.

Meeting Specte is worth..

Folks in Maryland area if you are around the neighborhood..appreciate if you could make an attempt meet him in person to convey the message ? (pls go in formal attire though).

If you have a laptop, pls do carry Sunjoshi's presentation as well.

I dont know what you guys will do but iam going to meet two senators and one congress woman from my state as soon as they are here and educate them on the issues. I already met their secretaries. Iam confident this will be solved soon.

I called my senetor Corzine office in New Jesrsey and she was not threre left a message and called Washington office 202) 224-4744
and spoke to one person and explaine him . He said it is not included in motion does not means it is dead .He was positive and said he aware of this issue and convey message to Senetor . I don't think it is gone because they are reducing cuts so they need to have another source of income .

called emailed and faxed

i just called mike dewine , ohio

and emailed/faxed to senators and congressmen from ohio and MA and CA

keep trying guys

If Immigration-law thinks that s1932 is dead let them think so, I am not loosing hope and will continue my effort in calling the senators.

Keep up the good work guys.

sbabunle said:
It seems like S1932 is dead. I agree with you Joshi.
Most people dont care about this thing.

The senate has agreed not to push immi package
in the reconcilation. please read www.immigration-law.com

This is old news.There is no solid evidence to that effect.We should not rely on that news.
We must continue our efforts with full enthu.
sbabunle said:

Oh really!!! We never visit immigration-law.com.

Thanks for letting us know the "Latest News".

I am dumb, trying to put effort on something which according to you is "Dead".

I am pretty sure if we have another 2 or three people like you on this forum, then defintely S.1932 will be Dead

Thanks Man

sbabunle said:

Guys,
Every one know what the big companies think or employees think. No one is stupid here. So let 's not fight. It 's time to act. Please direct all efforts in trying to convince Senator Spector to insist on section 8001 of his bill. That 's the only hope, otherwise we are done as said by immigration-law.com.

<<
Senate S. 1932 Immigration Packet Practically "Dead"

The Senate is scheduled to continue the preagreed motions for instructions to the Senate conferees as follows: DeWine Motion to Instruct Conferees to insist that any conference report shall not include the provisions contained in section 8701 of the House D1282amendment relating to the repeal of section 754 of the Tariff Act of 1930. GPO's PDFKohl Motion to Instruct Conferees to insist that any conference report shall not include any of the provisions in the House amendment that reduce funding for the child support program established under part D of title IV of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 651 et seq.), and to insist that the conference report shall not include any restrictions on the ability of States to use Federal child support incentive payments for child support program expenditures that are eligible for Federal matching payments. Kennedy Motion to Instruct Conferees to insist that the Senate provisions increasing need based financial aid in the bill S. 1932, which were fully offset by savings in the bill S. 1932, be included in the final conference report and that the House provisions in the bill H.R. 4241 that impose new fees and costs on students in school and in repayment be rejected in the final conference report. Reed Motion to Instruct Conferees to insist on a provision that makes available $2,920,000,000 for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Act of 1981 (42 U.S.C. 8621 et seq.), in addition to the $2,183,000,000 made available for such Act in the Departments of Labor, Health, and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2006. A unanimous-consent agreement was reached yesterday providing for further consideration of the message from the House to accompany S. 1932 (listed above) at 3:30 p.m., today with a series of votes to occur on the pending motions to instruct Conferees.
Since the Senate would agree not to instruct the Senate conferees not to include the House amendment to the Senate version on the immigration packet, the original Sections 8001 and 8002 appear to be practically dead unless any unlikely miracle takes place.

>>

The senate will take this issue again at 3:30 today. If no senator asks the conferees to insist on 8001, we are done. The anti-immigration lobby has tricked the lawmakers to postpone these issues for the comprehensive immigration reforms bill which will be presented next year. Who knows? So act now or ...

mistry25 said:
I called my senetor Corzine office in New Jesrsey and she was not threre left a message and called Washington office 202) 224-4744
and spoke to one person and explaine him . He said it is not included in motion does not means it is dead .He was positive and said he aware of this issue and convey message to Senetor . I don't think it is gone because they are reducing cuts so they need to have another source of income .

Almost the same thing Sen. Brownback's office said. Which makes me think that immigration-law's interpretation is not correct. Also I got a mail from AILA (posted earlier) which seems to indicate that Section 8001 has not been dropped yet - as per their knowledge.