Rules for Reentry Permit Renewal

gc2005nyc

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone know what are the rules for renewing reentry permits? How many times can you do it?

Is it based on previous reentry permits or time you have been abroad. I-131 asks how long have you been abroad? And they offer several options:
<6 months
6 mo to 1 yr
1yr - 2 yr
2yr - 3yr
3yr - 4yr
over 4yr

I think based on the selection above they will determine validity of the permit.

What do you guys know about this?

Yes, if you've already spent a lot of time outside the country, the RP will either be valid for 1 year or denied. You can only get an RP a few times, I think.

Does anyone know what are the rules for renewing reentry permits? How many times can you do it?

Is it based on previous reentry permits or time you have been abroad. I-131 asks how long have you been abroad? And they offer several options:
<6 months
6 mo to 1 yr
1yr - 2 yr
2yr - 3yr
3yr - 4yr
over 4yr

I think based on the selection above they will determine validity of the permit.

What do you guys know about this?

USCIS normally give reentry permits 2 times valid for 2 years each and third time may reject or give for lesser time. All depends on what is the reason for reentry permit and history of your stay out of US. I know about a person who is Independent documentary filmmaker and got reentry permit approved 4th time due to his profession, as he need to remain out for the shoot of films and some time to scout the locations and then to make all arrangements out of US for his shooting work. His profession makes him to make more trips out side or remain out of US most of the time and is genuine reason.

i have a question

does the time outside the US considered when the green card holder get the RP ?
i mean if i get the RP for example in the first year for 1 year and the second year for 1 year as well and then living in the US for the 3 left years ... will that be ok and the time outside the US will be conisdered or not ?

what are the advantages and disadvantages for the RP ?

i have a question

i mean if i get the RP for example in the first year for 1 year and the second year for 1 year as well and then living in the US for the 3 left years ... will that be ok and the time outside the US will be conisdered or not ?
----------------------------Can you rewrite your question again?
----------------------------Advantage is if you have to stay up to 2 years then with reentry Permit one can come back to US. Reentry is valid for 2 years from the approval date.
---------

i have a question

No, that doesn't work. The RP preserves your residence, but NOT your CONTINUOUS residence, so you'll have to begin after you come back.

i have a question

To apply for citizen, you should be physically in US for minimum time during the last five years (or three years if you are spouse of USC) before application (30 months at least, not few days every 6 months or so). All other time outside US with or without RP, continuous or interrupted are not counted unless you are working outside US for US agency like embassy, consulate or military base not MacDonald or studying in even american school or college overseas for example. Citizen is for those who already stayed in US before application as GC holders and even those who stayed, their application could be denied.

So reading all the above,

I'm curious. Let's assume a person is applying for Citizenship 4 years and 9 month after becoming a permanent resident. The person re-entered the US (same county) 1 day before filing N400. The person has been overseas 18 month (on a sabbatical, with I-131) before filing N400 but did come back every 6 months for 2 weeks to preserve 'permanent residency'. The first 3 years and 6 months after becoming a permanent resident have been spent inside the US, so the 'physical presence' requirement is met.

Now the question:
Would this person have problems at the N400 interview ?

So reading all the above,

I'm curious. Let's assume a person is applying for Citizenship 4 years and 9 month after becoming a permanent resident. The person re-entered the US (same county) 1 day before filing N400. The person has been overseas 18 month (on a sabbatical, with I-131) before filing N400 but did come back every 6 months for 2 weeks to preserve 'permanent residency'. The first 3 years and 6 months after becoming a permanent resident have been spent inside the US, so the 'physical presence' requirement is met.

Now the question:
Would this person have problems at the N400 interview ?

let me repeat it again and you calculate your case by yourself. In the day you apply for citizen you should be present in US for at last 30 months (continuous or interrupted) in the last five (or three years if you are spouse of USC) immediately before application. You are OK to apply then.
The other point you should take into consideration is to make your case strong and by applying the next day after arrival from 18 months overseas trip (for sure with permit) will not make your case strong in most cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a question based on all the reentry permit discussions I see. I am a US citizen and my wife is a Canadian citizen (by birth). She has a Green Card now for about 10 months. Due to all that has gone on at Wall Street, my bank is placing me in Mumbai for 3 years. Also bear in mind, I do not think I will be away only for 3 years.... these 3 can quickly turn to 5-7 if things are as good in Indian Capital Markets as advertized.
The ideal immigration situation I am looking for is that my wife's GC is preserved. I do not mind the clock for her citizenship counting to be restarted. So my question is that does she require a reentry permit, given that Canadians are anyway allowed to enter the US? Also, what is the comfortable maximum time period she can be away and still be able to keep her GC alive. (Again, the issue is not reentry at POE, which gets by virtue of being a Canadian - it is keeping the GC alive)
Since I relocate in December mid, if there are any steps that should be taken at my end, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your interest and guidance!!

Quoting: GINNU
"I know about a person who is Independent documentary filmmaker and got reentry permit approved 4th time due to his profession, as he need to remain out for the shoot of films and some time to scout the locations and then to make all arrangements out of US for his shooting work. His profession makes him to make more trips out side or remain out of US most of the time and is genuine reason."

what will happen to this independant film maker when he applies for citizenship?
let's say he was able to return every five months. is he going to be denied???

"I know about a person who is Independent documentary filmmaker and got reentry permit approved 4th time due to his profession, as he need to remain out for the shoot of films and some time to scout the locations and then to make all arrangements out of US for his shooting work. His profession makes him to make more trips out side or remain out of US most of the time and is genuine reason."

what will happen to this independant film maker when he applies for citizenship?
My guess is that he would be denied for failing the physical presence requirement.

------------Recently he applied US citizenship and approved without any problems.

----------------

------------Recently he applied US citizenship and approved without any problems.
If he met the physical presence requirements, then he wasn't out of the US as long and as often during the last 5 years as your initial post made it seem. I presume he applied a year or so after he stopped all that extended foreign travel?

If he met the physical presence requirements, then he wasn't out of the US as long and as often during the last 5 years as your initial post made it seem. I presume he applied a year or so after he stopped all that extended foreign travel?

He had green card for 10 years and had his company incorporated in US and is making films for his company. His family remained in US. He was in and out of US in last 10 years for his film shooting work before he applied citizenship. Before he applied citizenship he had 2-3 long trips out of US for his film shoot.

He had green card for 10 years and had his company incorporated in US and is making films for his company. His family remained in US. He was in and out of US in last 10 years for his film shooting work before he applied citizenship. Before he applied citizenship he had 2-3 long trips out of US for his film shoot.
But he would have been in the US for at least 30 months of the last 5 years to meet the physical presence requirements, so it's not like he was spending 11 months every year filming animals in Africa.

If he met the physical presence requirements, then he wasn't out of the US as long and as often during the last 5 years as your initial post made it seem.

I presume he applied a year or so after he stopped all that extended foreign travel?
--------He did not apply after a year of his latest trip. He made trips in the same year and applied.

-

Here is a question based on all the reentry permit discussions I see. I am a US citizen and my wife is a Canadian citizen (by birth). She has a Green Card now for about 10 months. Due to all that has gone on at Wall Street, my bank is placing me in Mumbai for 3 years. Also bear in mind, I do not think I will be away only for 3 years.... these 3 can quickly turn to 5-7 if things are as good in Indian Capital Markets as advertized.
The ideal immigration situation I am looking for is that my wife's GC is preserved. I do not mind the clock for her citizenship counting to be restarted. So my question is that does she require a reentry permit, given that Canadians are anyway allowed to enter the US? Also, what is the comfortable maximum time period she can be away and still be able to keep her GC alive. (Again, the issue is not reentry at POE, which gets by virtue of being a Canadian - it is keeping the GC alive)
Since I relocate in December mid, if there are any steps that should be taken at my end, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your interest and guidance!!

I think there's an accelerated process your wife can use if she's married to a US citizen who has to leave the country on work.