RTD Taken away in LAX - GC Holder

He can keep his RTD? How? If his class says Asylee & he is Permanent resident, its a wrong class..USCIS can take it away right? Dont they enter you based on your class...i.e, PR dont need I-94, asylees do. If he is PR but says asylee..what should the officer do?

They should admit the person as a LPR based on the computer records. This is the position of the USCIS. It is CBP officers who are taking away these documents, not USCIS officers. AILA has raised this issue with both agencies. Hopefully CBP send send a memo to its officers soon to make sure everyone is on the same page.

They should admit the person as a LPR based on the computer records. This is the position of the USCIS. It is CBP officers who are taking away these documents, not USCIS officers. AILA has raised this issue with both agencies. Hopefully CBP send send a memo to its officers soon to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Interesting. CBP officers do act as if they are god.

And if they are not part of USCIS who are they?

They are part of the Department of Homeland Security. The old INS was divided into three distinct agencies: the USCIS, the CBP and ICE. CBP is basically comprised of border guards. ICE is responsible for catching violators of immigration laws and deporting them from the United States. This is a rough sketch but will do for our purposes.

All three agencies report to the Secretary of Homeland Security.

Strictly speaking the USCIS director has no power over the officer who greets you at the airport. Conversely, the CBP director does not control the officer who reviews your citizenship application. But in reality three agencies work together closely (most of the time and hopefully!!!).

Hello Everybody,

This is my last experience entering thr U.S with my GC and RTD in LAX from Europe.

Some background:
Received my RTD on March 2007 (Status Asylee)
Received my GC on June 2007

When I arrived from AMS in LAX the officer scaned my GC and then asked me what document did I use to enter Spain, I told him my RTD, he asked for it and saw that on the RTD it said Asylee... so he sent me to secondary inspection.

In secondary inspection the officer told me that I am a permanent resident and I should not be using a RTD with asylee status... I explained the officer that my GC just arrived a few months ago and I already had my RTD with my EU visa and I had travel plans... he said fine but you should not be using this document and he let me go...

At the door of the secondary inspection a woman officer (latino) checked all my documents again and told the other officer why he didnt take away my RTD, and asked him to take it. He told her, but it still good till next year... and the woman told him, yes but he ha another status so take it away... so he did. The woman officer told me in a very rude way that this document is no good no more and that I had to apply for my NP... at that point I was so tired to argue with her and told her "whatever"... and left...

I feel frustrated it... do I suppossed to apply for my NP??? I am a GC holder now... my consulate will issue me a passport with no problems...

I feel upset that I lost my RTD. If Iapply for a new one its almost $400...
In addition, I hate to lose my RTD since there are record of my trips abroad for my citizeship...

Same thing happended to me. After having my attorney's advise, now I travel with NP.

Although I hate my country and will never go there again, I found it surprising that their consulate is more efficient to replace your NP, as long as you have your old one, compared with the long, long and long process of getting RTD/RP.

As a result, I walked into COP's consulate and said that I need to replace my expired NP. Status here? I am illegal here, but hey I have this old NP and need to have a new one.

And I found that at POE they really don't care where you got your LPR. I don't even think this shows up when they swipe your card.

Of course this only applies for traveling outside except COP. I honestly do not think there is any problem.

Very informative

Thank you so much!!

They are part of the Department of Homeland Security. The old INS was divided into three distinct agencies: the USCIS, the CBP and ICE. CBP is basically comprised of border guards. ICE is responsible for catching violators of immigration laws and deporting them from the United States. This is a rough sketch but will do for our purposes.

All three agencies report to the Secretary of Homeland Security.

Strictly speaking the USCIS director has no power over the officer who greets you at the airport. Conversely, the CBP director does not control the officer who reviews your citizenship application. But in reality three agencies work together closely (most of the time and hopefully!!!).

Right but as Thankful said two different set of officers process you. The one at the entry dont care much about ur citizenship application whereas the others do dig deep.

Want,

How that is going to affect you in citizenship if you use NP just for travel purpose (excluding visiting COP)?

Want,

How that is going to affect you in citizenship if you use NP just for travel purpose (excluding visiting COP)?

I renewed my passport and used it this time. I think it will be ok because the time between my asylum grant vs renewal of passport is almost 10 years. Plus government has changed. All they care about is that you didnt defraud them to obtain an immigration benefit. As long as your case is logically genuine you are ok in renewing NP in my opinion.

In other words, if you got your asylum in 2002 and then want to go back now..it may raise some suspicision..doesnt mean end of it all but it may raise eyebrows.

I renewed my passport and used it this time. I think it will be ok because the time between my asylum grant vs renewal of passport is almost 10 years. Plus government has changed. All they care about is that you didnt defraud them to obtain an immigration benefit. As long as your case is logically genuine you are ok in renewing NP in my opinion.

In other words, if you got your asylum in 2002 and then want to go back now..it may raise some suspicision..doesnt mean end of it all but it may raise eyebrows.

You still miss the point. I am not going to COP, but any OTHER country using NP. What is the problem? Indeed, can any problem arise?

You still miss the point. I am not going to COP, but any OTHER country using NP. What is the problem? Indeed, can any problem arise?

No matter if you go to COP or not. If you claim asylum yesterday but come tommoorw and want protection(i.e get a passport) from the country you were persecuted in MAY raise some questions.

Lot of things go in this. For instance when did you get your asylum, the reason behind it(protection from a group or a government) etc etc. Again everything is on case-by-case basis. Getting a passport means you want protection from your country. For instance, people from Bosnia are ok to renew IN MY OPINION because if lets say they claimed protection from Milosevic's government, he doesnt exist or his government.

Again depends on your case. Asylum GC is NEVER one size fits all like Employment or Marriage GC's.

No matter if you go to COP or not. If you claim asylum yesterday but come tommoorw and want protection(i.e get a passport) from the country you were persecuted in MAY raise some questions.

Lot of things go in this. For instance when did you get your asylum, the reason behind it(protection from a group or a government) etc etc. Again everything is on case-by-case basis. Getting a passport means you want protection from your country. For instance, people from Bosnia are ok to renew IN MY OPINION because if lets say they claimed protection from Milosevic's government, he doesnt exist or his government.

Again depends on your case. Asylum GC is NEVER one size fits all like Employment or Marriage GC's.

Want,

In citizenship forms, they ask you to list your relative, your employment, the country you visited. where you lived. Ok, do they care you applied for NP after becoming LPR?

Based on what my attorney told me, something you just have little excuse on, like you PHYSICALLY visited COP. But for NP, yes, in theory that would be presumably accepting COP's protection as their citizen, however you can always tell them that you got it because you lied to the consulate, or you bribed, you have unexpired NP....

That has not raised any red flag as long as you do not touch COP.

Want,

In citizenship forms, they ask you to list your relative, your employment, the country you visited. where you lived. Ok, do they care you applied for NP after becoming LPR?

Based on what my attorney told me, something you just have little excuse on, like you PHYSICALLY visited COP. But for NP, yes, in theory that would be presumably accepting COP's protection as their citizen, however you can always tell them that you got it because you lied to the consulate, or you bribed, you have unexpired NP....

That has not raised any red flag as long as you do not touch COP.

Dude one thing you never want to tell one government official that you lied,bribed another govt official(even if its a diff govt).

Dude one thing you never want to tell one government official that you lied,bribed another govt official(even if its a diff govt).

Dude, I have seen millions of asylum cases which involve lying, bribing another government. Take it easy.

Dude, I have seen millions of asylum cases which involve lying, bribing another government. Take it easy.

Bribing to get a passport or exit visa to flee your COP to avoid persecution is very different from bribing a government official AFTER you already reached safety. Doing the former is common place and can be forgiven under common sense notions. The latter is frowned upon.

Did you know that bribing a foreign government offical can be a a federal crime?

Bribing to get a passport or exit visa to flee your COP to avoid persecution is very different from bribing a government official AFTER you already reached safety. Doing the former is common place and can be forgiven under common sense notions. The latter is frowned upon.

Did you know that bribing a foreign government offical can be a a federal crime?

What you have said is so wrong.

If you are talking about Federal Anti-Bribery Act, 18 U.S.C. Section 201:
The basic thing is that you have to give anything of value to the government official that induce him out of the lawful duty of that official. Giving/renewing passport to its citizen is a "statutory" duty of the embassy.

Giving a bribe could cause you to fail the good moral character test of the citizenship test.

What you have said is so wrong.

If you are talking about Federal Anti-Bribery Act, 18 U.S.C. Section 201:
The basic thing is that you have to give anything of value to the government official that induce him out of the lawful duty of that official. Giving/renewing passport to its citizen is a "statutory" duty of the embassy.

It is a serious federal crime for an American business to bribe a foreign government official. Companies have been heavily fined and company executives have been sent to federal prisons for violating this law. I work in the compliance deparment of a Fortune 100 corporation and I get paid to help make sure that our company does not breach this law.

As for the illegality of bribing a government official for personal purposes I do not have direct knowledge. However it would be logical to believe that it is a crime as well.

At any event telling someme to admit to the USCIS that "you bribed" is perverse and irresponsible.