RTD Taken away in LAX - GC Holder

ccordova624

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everybody,

This is my last experience entering thr U.S with my GC and RTD in LAX from Europe.

Some background:
Received my RTD on March 2007 (Status Asylee)
Received my GC on June 2007

When I arrived from AMS in LAX the officer scaned my GC and then asked me what document did I use to enter Spain, I told him my RTD, he asked for it and saw that on the RTD it said Asylee... so he sent me to secondary inspection.

In secondary inspection the officer told me that I am a permanent resident and I should not be using a RTD with asylee status... I explained the officer that my GC just arrived a few months ago and I already had my RTD with my EU visa and I had travel plans... he said fine but you should not be using this document and he let me go...

At the door of the secondary inspection a woman officer (latino) checked all my documents again and told the other officer why he didnt take away my RTD, and asked him to take it. He told her, but it still good till next year... and the woman told him, yes but he ha another status so take it away... so he did. The woman officer told me in a very rude way that this document is no good no more and that I had to apply for my NP... at that point I was so tired to argue with her and told her "whatever"... and left...

I feel frustrated it... do I suppossed to apply for my NP??? I am a GC holder now... my consulate will issue me a passport with no problems...

I feel upset that I lost my RTD. If Iapply for a new one its almost $400...
In addition, I hate to lose my RTD since there are record of my trips abroad for my citizeship...

Same thing happened to me last year. I applied again & I wrote a nasty mail & notified my senator, they returned my check & gave me a new RP in 3 weeks. This happened last november.

They did what is right. You are a PR and not an asylee, they had to take away your RTD. Renew your NP since now you have valid proof that your RTD was taken away and NP was asked to be renewd.

This is actually good news for you cuz you can use your NP and have valid reasons for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all what if you are an Asylee now GC holder that your COP will just not issue a NP because they feel you betrayed them? Why these Stupid IO's don't think about that? why do they take away your right of having a valid Travel Document issued by they're own office's for people that are not able to have NP anymore? these people make me sick and the whole idea of traveling abroad with fear of being misstreated at a POE. they're just a bunch os AS@#$@#$@#OLES

First of all what if you are an Asylee now GC holder that your COP will just not issue a NP because they feel you betrayed them? Why these Stupid IO's don't think about that? why do they take away your right of having a valid Travel Document issued by they're own office's for people that are not able to have NP anymore? these people make me sick and the whole idea of traveling abroad with fear of being misstreated at a POE. they're just a bunch os AS@#$@#$@#OLES

Dude they were right. cordova's status is permanent resident & not asylee. She can apply for a new RTD wchich will have her correct status.

it was unfortunate that this hapepned to cordova but thats the reality..status changes things can change.

Have posted same experaince happend to my near cousine in 2006, She traveled to Australia with RTD and when she gets back an IO confisicate her Rtd by stating she is no longe an Asylee, once she acquired GC she can request her emassy for NP, guys isn't that contradict what they have posted on their web-page as [ FACT SHEET].

That FACT SHEET is just 100% nonsense. As you can see most of the IO's are not on the same page. I would recommend using RP as oppose to renewing NP atleast until they come up with a clearer FACT SHEET.

ccordova624--I hope you wrote the officers name down

I already applied

This is one of the best website with a lot of resources I have ever come across.
Anyway in June this year me and my wife applied for an RTD with our then Asylee status but in July we were approved but our RTD's are still pending. After reading this thread I called the USCIS and explained to one customer representative about that situation and though I wasnt 100%sure she knew what she was saying she said they will update our RTD when processing to our current status. Please any contribution/suggestion what we should do?:confused:

This is one of the best website with a lot of resources I have ever come across.
Anyway in June this year me and my wife applied for an RTD with our then Asylee status but in July we were approved but our RTD's are still pending. After reading this thread I called the USCIS and explained to one customer representative about that situation and though I wasnt 100%sure she knew what she was saying she said they will update our RTD when processing to our current status. Please any contribution/suggestion what we should do?:confused:

WHen the officer looks at your status he will issue new RTD with PR instead of asylee. Standard procedure.

Congrats to u lucky fellow, so that means u are qualified for all the benefits without even getting the card yet?

By the way, you can "upgrade" your application to RP now if you would like to. I also had an application for RTD pending when i was approved for a green card. I've sent them a letter asking for an RP, attached a copy of the receipt for RTD, a copy of the green card, and a couple of weeks later I've got my RP.

Thanks a lot Want.
Godisgoodtome I didnt get your point though.
Pqq thanks a lot too.
But one more question, you gave me still a better idea of upgrading to RP. Pqq, did you had to fill a new application or you just sent them the copy of the receipt notice? And of course that gives me another dilema if I will have to send more money because when I applied it was the previous rates but now its the new rates:( .
Again thanks for your contributions.

I applied for RTD after My I-485 was approved and Me TRAVEL DOCUMENT says my status is Permanent resident. Why can't you get the one?

Rustik,
Thank you for asking that question I wouldnt mind getting an RTD but an RP would even be better. The reason is its valid for two years while the RTD is only for a year and mark you same charges;) .

I agree, that really makes sense. I should have thinked about this earlier.

By the way guys i am still waiting for my card and leaving the country with RTD and temporary I51, designed by IO from I-94 with my picture and stamp on it. Do you think it can be problems?

Thanks a lot Want.
Godisgoodtome I didnt get your point though.
Pqq thanks a lot too.
But one more question, you gave me still a better idea of upgrading to RP. Pqq, did you had to fill a new application or you just sent them the copy of the receipt notice? And of course that gives me another dilema if I will have to send more money because when I applied it was the previous rates but now its the new rates:( .
Again thanks for your contributions.

i didn't pay anything extra, i've just sent a copy of the GC, a copy of the receipt for RTD, and a letter where I basically said that I would appreciate if they could issue RP instead of RTD since my status is different now, but if such "upgrade" is not possible, I'm ok with RTD. They were quite nice and sent me RP.

Pqq,
Thanks a ton!
I am sending my request right away and hopefully I will cross with a nice person;) .

One thing to keep in mind is that you don't need a visa to enter some countries (like Germany) if you use the RTD Vs. the RP you would need visas for sure.
I am in the same situation i received my card while my RTD application is pending but im not going to ask for RP, i'm just hoping they will update my status on the new RTD. It has been 3 months and 5 days now and nothing yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wantmygcnow...... If I apply for a new NP after receiving my GC through Asylum, am I assured safe return into the US upon leaving the country? My only concern is if they ask why I renewed my NP when I originally sought asylum from that country. Does that even apply once we receive a GC?

This is not supposed to happen. You can keep your RTD per DHS regulations.

He can keep his RTD? How? If his class says Asylee & he is Permanent resident, its a wrong class..USCIS can take it away right? Dont they enter you based on your class...i.e, PR dont need I-94, asylees do. If he is PR but says asylee..what should the officer do?