RTD screw up

eddie_240

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

I had applied for RTD in May for my upcoming business trip to Mexico, and today I received a re-entry permit.

Not sure why I received a RP instead of RTD, any idea if there has been a change for GC holders to have RP only.

Is a RP better than a RTD?

Please advise

Thanks

Ed

IF you are having GC then RP is correct to Use if only then ur asylum is approved then if you did'nt apply for GC then you will get RTD.

IF you are having GC then RP is correct to Use if only then ur asylum is approved then if you did'nt apply for GC then you will get RTD.

What do you mean?

My dad applied for his RTD after he had filed for his GC and he received a RTD, not RP.

Well, you said "if you're having GC" so I assumed you meant if you were applying for GC.

Thanks for replies. So does it make any difference if I am travelling with a RTD and RP.

Also I have heard stories that airlines make it difficult for you to travel if you are holding a RTD or RP.

Thanks

Ed

RP is not always better, RTD will let you enter many european countries without a visa, it all depends on the travel plan to determine which is better.

I will have several trips to Germany in the future and I think it is better to get the 1 year RTD that will relief me from visa procedures.

RP will force you to use your cop national passport "which is not a good idea" that if it is not expired. RTD is a standalone passport.

Last edited by a moderator:
RP will force you to use your cop national passport "which is not a good idea" that if it is not expired. RTD is a standalone passport.

Are u sure that RP will force u to use NP, if it is not expired and why is that so? Which countries enforce this rule? Do you have any official links that back up your stated claims?

Also, are u sure that RTD is a standalone passport? As far as I know, RTD is not a US passport and some countries even do not recognize RTD as a valid travel document.

The RP looks just like the RTD. Some countries don't recognise it, but the same goes for the RTD. You need visas for more countries with the RP than you do with the RTD, but it is valid for 2 years usually, so you do benefit from that. You can go to Mexico without problems. I've been all over Europe with it.

Germany, also I'm asking because I thought NO country at all will accept the RP as a passport, unlike the RTD. When I check the Germany embassy website, they clearly state that they don't require visa if RTD is used "not RP"

Forget Germany, Could you please tell me which country will accept the RP without the NP or without a visa?

I can list you some countries that will accept RTD as a standalone passport without visa without NP

Belgium
Bahamas
Bermuda
Canada
Germany
Netherlands
Croatia
Macau
Montenegro
Slovakia
Hungary
Costa Rica

Canada will NOT accept you if you only have an RTD and no visa. They will only accept RTD w/ no visa if you have a Green Card. They may accept that condition if you are a national of a country to which they don't require visa (ie. Mexico)

Forget Germany, Could you please tell me which country will accept the RP without the NP or without a visa?

I can list you some countries that will accept RTD as a standalone passport without visa without NP

Belgium
Bahamas
Bermuda
Canada
Germany
Netherlands
Croatia
Macau
Montenegro
Slovakia
Hungary
Costa Rica

OK, Canada will require GC with the RTD, but could you please tell me which countries will accept RP without visa or without NP? Still no answer.

list of countries that will accept RTD alone without NP without visa is:

Belgium
Bahamas
Bermuda
Germany
Netherlands
Croatia
Macau
Montenegro
Slovakia
Hungary
Costa Rica