Return Conditional Green Card during Oath?

AOS_GUY

Registered Users (C)
I still have my expired 2 year marriage-based Conditional GC and I have my valid 10 year GC. I was told that I should bring my GC at the oath ceremony for collection. Does any one know whether they will collect both GCs?It would be cool if I could hold on to my expired GC for nostalgia.

In short, they will collect what you hand them out, they cannot collect what you don't hand them out ;)

In my opinion
It is better to hand over both GC card to USCIS.
Reason1.
That is the rule that one must bring Gcs , re entry permits/ refugee travel documents, any Immigration documents or any other travel document etc at the oath ceremony.
Reason2.
It might go to the wrong hands then it can be a legal problem(Joking) .
Reason3.
At the oath ceremony they might ask for the 2 years Gc too.

So it is better, carry it to the oath ceremony ask them if one can keep the expired Gc as a Souvenir (I forgot the spelling).
If they say "yes" then there will be no future problem I guess.
But again many people who does not naturalize in USA keep their expired card with them.
Happy Naturalization!

I still have my old EAD card that I kept. USCIS doesn't expect you to hand over your expired immigration documents, only your current valid one(s).

Actually, my IO told me to bring anything I have ever received from USCIS. She mentioned travel documents, but I never had any. I specifically asked about my conditional green card which has expired more than a year ago, and she said yes, I need to give that one back too. She said we don't want similar documents ending up in the wrong hands (shanchak's reason #2- not a joke ;)

I would just hand in the most recent unexpired green card when they ask for it. They will ask for it just before they ask you to review your naturalization certificate for correct name, spelling, etc. You should bring along the other conditional GC in case they ask for that as well, but hand in the active one and see what happens...I really wanted to hold onto mine, but they very clearly ask for it, and you very clearly give it to them at that stage of things... :)

I gave USCIS everything back. EADs, APs and my 10 year GC. My 2 year GC was taken away when I got my 10 year GC.

Triple Citizen,

I am just curious...How was your 2 year GC taken away when you got your 10 year GC? I don't remember the I751 application requiring the return of the 2 year GC.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in 2005, when conditions were lifted, the applicant got an approval letter. The applicant then had to make an infopass appointment and visit his/her DO. At the DO, the 2 year GC was taken, the passport was stamped and the paperword to generate the 10 year GC was completed. At that time, the applicant never needed to vist an ASC.

I am just curious...How was your 2 year GC taken away when you got your 10 year GC? I don't remember the I751 application requiring the return of the 2 year GC.

Just curious...Does the conditional Green Card look just like the 10 year one, with just the expiration date being different?

I never did get a conditional green card. At my only interview, they stamped my passport, took my EAD, and in the mail I got the 10 year green card. This was in November of 2005...