Restructuring the forums

Originally posted by gabby2001
Hi Rajiv,

Great site! Is there anyone to implement a real time online chat room?

We had one in our old site (two years ago). No one used it so we discontinued it. The existing software allows you to put in your Yahoo/MSN/AOL ID's so people can know when you are online while they are still on the Boards. But if Chat is what people want, we can have that pout in. Not a biggie. Collect some votes. Start a poll. See what everyone says.

Originally posted by Silly Man
Ok I finally have some useful comments.

a) We've been maintaining faqs or important threads that we try and keep on the top (without in a subforum). It's link is http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77555. I was wondering if there is a way that could be kept prominent without individual effort. All of us take turns on posting something random on it to keep that thread on the top and within view.

b) There's a subforum for tracker, under CSC immigration, I don't think it is being used in the way it was intended to be. Frankly, people don't visit a subforum, better to have one common thread, but a way to access all important threads consolidated, like http://pceegcee.tripod.com (that guy is just awesome).

c) This is far fetched. If people could as a part of their "user cp" keep their data updated (When did I get approval, when did my case change from Resumed to RFE sent etc.), we could have an automatically setup user reported tracker .. while maintaining user privacy.

Thanks a lot for great suggestions. By theway, I have sent an e-mail to users with posts greater than 1000 (including you :)) to help us moderate the forums. Let me see if people have time. I intend to get us better organized. But one person alone can never do it. You folks will need to help.

:( I would like to see more information on immigration visa denied and timeline for appeal and reason to overcome it. For married to USC. And how can a Homeland Secuirty denied a marraige that was perform out of the country.

Thanks Amiya

Visa Denied

Amiya

Hello, I just saw your post and it really doesnt tell anyone what happened and why. Please tell us about your story and exactly the reason they denied your husbands visa. This will allow for other readers to understand and to reply to you more accurately

Kind Regards
Manuel Pereira-Deported

Sorry operations,
Could not get back to you soon, since raj1994 expressed my recommendation explicitly in a follow up post. You are right, most of the vets use forum jump to go into a forum of desire. 99% of the users just use a specific area of this site.

However I have a few suggestions about the repeat questions that appear once in a while. I classify these repeat questions /posts into 3 major categories
1. How to --- do such and such thing (apply to BCIS this petition, respond to RFE, get consulate interview etc.) Most of these questions can be organized into a fact sheet or a how to thread - READABLE ONLY. no new posts (unless things change and need to update facts) . This is not like FAQ. It lists the steps or list the BCIS /DOS links where answers can be found. Simple step 1,2,3 type answers. I have given an example at the end of this post.

2. Experiences
Many people want to find recent experiences about interviews, BCIS local office encounters, IIO tele conversation etc. These can form a separate sub forum. Most of the newcomers want to know about something only when there is something lurking ahead of them. They browse to get an answer and take whatever god (!)they find to answer them and do not come back to this forum until the next crisis. (you might have statistics that might prove other wise, but this is based on my own individual biased opinion)

3. Trackers
And of course there are tracker maniacs who want to know everything about every user who asks a question. These trackers have a usefulness quotient of only 0.10 to me personally, but there are many who think otherwise and sometimes rudely demand this information from a already miserable poster. There are many other sites that provide such trackers. The tracker maniacs dont realize that the information on trackers cannot be conclusive to make us press the panic button or to be complacent. It is a sample of the whole system and should be taken with a pinch of salt. In My opinion, The current importance accorded to such trackers can continue and are sufficient.

However if that section need to be improved, The only suggestion I would like to make is that:
Iif a structure can be thought of which does not make the user to go through all the posts to get a overall and recent trend view of such trackers, then they will be widely used and respected.
But this requires lot of work from the tech team I guess. The current posting structure is not suited for trackers. Alternatively you can ban trackers :)) I know , I know I was just kidding.

Here is the example for AP application for I485 adjustees-How To

Who is it for: Folks applying for Advance Parole on their own, while on I485
Preconditions: I485 receipt , Can also apply along with 485.

Docs required: 2 photos (see link for photo spec), check for $ ( for latest fee see...) a letter explaining why you need AP(sample letters..), Copy of I485 receipt and a covering letter

Possible RFEs: some folks have received the following RFEs
1. proof of marriage if your spouse is the primary applicant
2. proof of I140 receipt if you are a concurrent filer

Processing time: varies from service center to service center

Caveats: BCIS warns that you should get AP approved before leaving US.
There have been also some posts by 245(i) based 485 applicants whose AP did not save their past indiscretions and were refused entry into US on AP.

Approval : Form blah blah with photo. usually 3 copies. If you get only one dont panic. One is enough.

Usage: Complete I94 as 485 adjsutee. Just show the AP with photo at the POE. You will be taken for secondary inspection. Get the adjsutee stamp in passport, I94 and AP.
If european airline, call ahead and find out whether AP document is acceptable evidence of valid immigration status.

Expiry: Date usually one year from approval date. No concept of renewal. Can apply another before expiry. Can be used multiple times .

I can go on...... But of course we need to standardize the format. I think that will evolve in the course of time.

Willing to be On a perpetual support mode......Jaxen

Originally posted by jaxen
Sorry operations,
Could not get back to you soon, since raj1994 expressed my recommendation explicitly in a follow up post. You are right, most of the vets use forum jump to go into a forum of desire. 99% of the users just use a specific area of this site.

However I have a few suggestions about the repeat questions that appear once in a while. I classify these repeat questions /posts into 3 major categories
1. How to --- do such and such thing (apply to BCIS this petition, respond to RFE, get consulate interview etc.) Most of these questions can be organized into a fact sheet or a how to thread - READABLE ONLY. no new posts (unless things change and need to update facts) . This is not like FAQ. It lists the steps or list the BCIS /DOS links where answers can be found. Simple step 1,2,3 type answers. I have given an example at the end of this post.

2. Experiences
Many people want to find recent experiences about interviews, BCIS local office encounters, IIO tele conversation etc. These can form a separate sub forum. Most of the newcomers want to know about something only when there is something lurking ahead of them. They browse to get an answer and take whatever god (!)they find to answer them and do not come back to this forum until the next crisis. (you might have statistics that might prove other wise, but this is based on my own individual biased opinion)

3. Trackers
And of course there are tracker maniacs who want to know everything about every user who asks a question. These trackers have a usefulness quotient of only 0.10 to me personally, but there are many who think otherwise and sometimes rudely demand this information from a already miserable poster. There are many other sites that provide such trackers. The tracker maniacs dont realize that the information on trackers cannot be conclusive to make us press the panic button or to be complacent. It is a sample of the whole system and should be taken with a pinch of salt. In My opinion, The current importance accorded to such trackers can continue and are sufficient.

However if that section need to be improved, The only suggestion I would like to make is that:
Iif a structure can be thought of which does not make the user to go through all the posts to get a overall and recent trend view of such trackers, then they will be widely used and respected.
But this requires lot of work from the tech team I guess. The current posting structure is not suited for trackers. Alternatively you can ban trackers :)) I know , I know I was just kidding.

Here is the example for AP application for I485 adjustees-How To

Who is it for: Folks applying for Advance Parole on their own, while on I485
Preconditions: I485 receipt , Can also apply along with 485.

Docs required: 2 photos (see link for photo spec), check for $ ( for latest fee see...) a letter explaining why you need AP(sample letters..), Copy of I485 receipt and a covering letter

Possible RFEs: some folks have received the following RFEs
1. proof of marriage if your spouse is the primary applicant
2. proof of I140 receipt if you are a concurrent filer

Processing time: varies from service center to service center

Caveats: BCIS warns that you should get AP approved before leaving US.
There have been also some posts by 245(i) based 485 applicants whose AP did not save their past indiscretions and were refused entry into US on AP.

Approval : Form blah blah with photo. usually 3 copies. If you get only one dont panic. One is enough.

Usage: Complete I94 as 485 adjsutee. Just show the AP with photo at the POE. You will be taken for secondary inspection. Get the adjsutee stamp in passport, I94 and AP.
If european airline, call ahead and find out whether AP document is acceptable evidence of valid immigration status.

Expiry: Date usually one year from approval date. No concept of renewal. Can apply another before expiry. Can be used multiple times .

I can go on...... But of course we need to standardize the format. I think that will evolve in the course of time.

Willing to be On a perpetual support mode......Jaxen

My sincere thanks for your input. So far I have two volunteers from users with more than 1000 posts (You and sillyman). I have sent a few more e-mail out this morning. I think I will do a conference call with all volunteers and go over what everyone thinks we should do. If not convenent, we can talk with 2-3 people at a time. Then we shall start to implement.

Warm regards. Rajiv.

Registered Voters

Rajiv

Hello again, it is Manuel Pereira. I was thinking that the site should track things about its members like citizenship and registered voter status of course for privacy this would be omitted for people who have not adjusted their status yet. I see that there are alot of American citizens trying to get information about how to help there spouses. These are the people that have the ability to make the most change. We should have a register to vote portal here for members that are not yet registered and maybe try to get them to optionally elect to have there names used automatically in petitions instead of waiting for each one to sign each petition.

For instance:

I Manuel Pereira, as a registered voter and citizen of the United States of America support the following legislative changes in current immigration laws. I am demanding that the below mentioned immigration legislation be acted on with urgency and the same due process that is applied when it is a matter of self interest.

The above is just an example of the pre-authorized text that members would agree to and also we could work on getting members who are citizens but not registered voters to actually be a part of something big to come.

Kind Regards
Manuel Pereira

Last edited by a moderator:
Reconstruction

Rajiv, just a suggestion. I think it will be a good idea if a lawyer from your office would also review the questions posted in the forums and provide some kind of advise. It may not be to all problems, only those who really need a legal advise.That way it would be very much authentic and helpful.

Re: Reconstruction

Originally posted by sal403
Rajiv, just a suggestion. I think it will be a good idea if a lawyer from your office would also review the questions posted in the forums and provide some kind of advise. It may not be to all problems, only those who really need a legal advise.That way it would be very much authentic and helpful.

We have asked for volunteers who have over a certain number of posts on the forums. They will halp bring to us the questions that need answering. I have sent the following points to our volunteers:

These are my preliminary thoughts. Let me have your comments please. Monica, this is FYI only. Regards and thanks to all. Rajiv.

ROLE OF MODERATORS:

Assign threads to FAQ subforum

Move threads to appropriate discussion areas, if needed.

Contact us if a FAQ arises that seems to concern a lot of people and you would like us to answer it for everyone. We will of course continue participating in the forums as usual.

Move off topic threads to the general area.

Make any suggestions they feel are pertinent to making things work better.

We will provide support and guidance. You will have phone numbers/e-mails of all our team members involved in the process.

Are there any Specific forums you interested in?

All moderators signature line should state: "IMPORTANT NOTE: I am a Volunteer Moderator - one of you. I am not a lawyer. So act accordingly."

POST REPLY btton

Hello Rajiv ji,

please add POST REPLY button to each message, instead at the
end of each page, that way, its more focussed.

thanks
Raj

Unregistering or Changing User Name?

Great Web Site for immigration information with wonderful featrues,

My two cents,

1. I don't find any option to unregister from immigration.com. I think that is a useful option.
2. Secondly, one should be allowd to change his user name to be displayed, or user name to be logged.

regards,

follow up capabilities

Hi,

I have a suggestion based on a question: is this forum somehow related to the CPTracker app? if so, it'll help a lot if the user profile (for those really interested in this forum) can be linked to the updated cptracker. I mean updated because it will help (again) if the column names are updated to match the voice messages for the NVC automated service. If it does not, well... nevermind.

Makes sense?

Thanks

Airetupal

Re: POST REPLY btton

Originally posted by mohan raja
Hello Rajiv ji,

please add POST REPLY button to each message, instead at the
end of each page, that way, its more focussed.

thanks
Raj

We are waiting for a newer version of this software. So hang on.

Re: Unregistering or Changing User Name?

Originally posted by kalipats
Great Web Site for immigration information with wonderful featrues,

My two cents,

1. I don't find any option to unregister from immigration.com. I think that is a useful option.
2. Secondly, one should be allowd to change his user name to be displayed, or user name to be logged.

regards,

Very good suggestions. We are waiting for a newer version of this software. But in the mean time, you want be unregistered/modified, send me a mail.

First Volunteer Moderator Activated

First Volunteer Moderator Activated: User Name: leroythelion; Moderating EB-1/NIW Forums.

At 07:25 PM 5/7/2003 +0000, you wrote:
Rajiv,
This looks good. Even though my own immigration journey is over, I would be happy to devote some time to a website that helped me out. Is it your intention to have the post approved before they appear?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++Oh, no. That would be way too much work for moderators. And it would be against the spirit of our forums - free talk.

I really don't care which forums I moderate, although most of my postings are in the EB-1/NIW forum. As a background, I've had NIW and EB-1 petitions approved

+++++++++++++++++++++++++Good to know. That is where you are then. I have assigned you moderator rights. I have added the following language to your signature line:

"IMPORTANT NOTE: I am a Volunteer Moderator - one of you. I am not a lawyer. So act accordingly."

So I am assigning you now. When you go back to the forums, you will see an option at the bottom right of your screen "Admin Option." Play around with this a bit. It is fairly simple. Any problems, just send us an e-mail. I will call you in about 20 minutes.

Monica, please let our team members know what we have done. Brief Charu and Suman first. See if they want you to brief others or they will take care of their respective groups.

Second Volunteer Moderator

Second Moderator Activated: User Name: sachinphadke; Moderating Family Based Green Card Forums

I have assigned you moderator rights. I have added the following language to your signature line:

"IMPORTANT NOTE: I am a Volunteer Moderator - one of you. I am not a lawyer. So act accordingly."

Re: Re: Reconstruction

Thank you for the response Rajiv. My main forum of interest is "Political assylum in USA". I also know a few people who are having problems with their assylum cases and proper guidance not available to them even thru their attorneys, many of their questions go unanswered. Your office seems to be very much sincere. You wouldnt put in so much effort otherwise to help out people like me. But I have seen that the main line of service provided by many attorneys is in the H1 visa field. Very few take up assylum cases. I wonder whats the reason for that?

suggestions

Suggestion on the forum

Some folks answer in the forum for personal satisfaction and some do it for pride and crave for name recognition.
Currently I think there are only a few levels
Junior member, member and senior member. Perhaps we can add more rankings
For people who posted more than 500 star member and more than 1000 super star member.

Suggestion on your site
Besides the discussion forum, your site (main page etc.) has a pre-2000 look to it. I would suggest hiring a web designer to develop your main page and a few sub pages.
Currently your main page is just a bunch of links (kind of a portal like yahoo but has many more links than yahoo does) does not show your company’s personality.
Some graphics and reorganization of the content into sub sections would help the site.
Also when users typically go to the website they form an opinion so by enhancing it you would get more positive benefits (more business for you) out of it.
My two cents.

:::::::::;
Thank you. I intend to implement your suggestions about user levels. As for the rest, I like the homey look. But there is a lot of room for improvement in organizing the information. I appreciate your taking the time. Warm regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Re: Re: Reconstruction

Originally posted by sal403
Thank you for the response Rajiv. My main forum of interest is "Political assylum in USA". I also know a few people who are having problems with their assylum cases and proper guidance not available to them even thru their attorneys, many of their questions go unanswered. Your office seems to be very much sincere. You wouldnt put in so much effort otherwise to help out people like me. But I have seen that the main line of service provided by many attorneys is in the H1 visa field. Very few take up assylum cases. I wonder whats the reason for that?

Our firm focuses its practice on business immigration. I do not know about other lawyers, but most immigration lawyers I know practice general immigration.

Whe I have a little more time, I will get back into political asylum practice. We are thinking of hiring an attorney for this area of practice. But for now, this is the best I can do folks.