Removed from Oath Ceremony due to long trip

further info on 2nd time fingerprints

I received the letter for 2nd time fingerprints in May, and then the Oath letter in September.

Hope it helps.

It's not a matter of the IO not catching it at interview since in OPs case interview was 2 years ago and travel was after interview.

Yeah just caught that, I thought it had said mid 2008 not 2006. Either way, the interview officer might make the recommendation for citizenship thinking the absence was valid only to be denied by another IO reviewing it afterwards thinking it was not valid.

Once agin, just because you get an oath letter and date, doesn't automatically give you citizenship and it can be pulled for reasons such as later for various reasons...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to know what professions allow one to take 6-7 month long trips. I have been building TCP/IP networks for 15 years now and I only get 20 days off a year. I am clearly in the wrong business. Need a career change!!!

I have a question. At the Oath Ceremony how does the IO verify a trip taken after Interview? e.g, In my case if the trip lasted 5 months, will he verify it with the entry/exit stamps on the passport and let me go through the process or will they pull me out of the ceremony and re-verify through another procedure?
On the other hand on the Oath letter do they ask you to bring the Passport? I haven't seen such an option written on the Oath letter. I haven't seen it discussed in the forum so I was curious.

wow; that's a bit insensitive isn't it?
Imagine going to the oath (granted that what the OP did was not correct: taking long trips after interview), getting pulled out, and this is the only comment you choose to make?
with so much experience on your side ("I hold 3 citizenships") I thought you'd be most undesratnding how hard something like that can be.

I know what he did was technically wrong, but right now he probably needs every bit of good advise and comforting he can get. I hope everything gets resolved soon, and the matter gets settled.

I just want to know what professions allow one to take 6-7 month long trips. I have been building TCP/IP networks for 15 years now and I only get 20 days off a year. I am clearly in the wrong business. Need a career change!!!

I have a question. At the Oath Ceremony how does the IO verify a trip taken after Interview? e.g, In my case if the trip lasted 5 months, will he verify it with the entry/exit stamps on the passport and let me go through the process or will they pull me out of the ceremony and re-verify through another procedure?
On the other hand on the Oath letter do they ask you to bring the Passport? I haven't seen such an option written on the Oath letter. I haven't seen it discussed in the forum so I was curious.

The oath letter asks you to list any travel dates between interview and oath and to include any I-94. If your travel lasted 5 months it could be a trigger to pull you from oath to verify whether there's been a travel pattern in your history to question US residential ties.

Question

Hello,
I just filled the N400 form and I am wondering if i am required to sign it before I mail it in or should I just mail it in and then sign it during interview.
I will appreciate you honest opinion.
Thanks

Hello,
I just filled the N400 form and I am wondering if i am required to sign it before I mail it in or should I just mail it in and then sign it during interview.
I will appreciate you honest opinion.
Thanks

You're required to sign the N-400 you mail in. You will also have to sign the copy of the N-400 the IO has at the interview.

I don't ever remember filling I-94. On arrival only a customs form is required.
In my case I have been going back and forth due to the nature of my business so if they approve my application they already know I have this travel pattern. Do you think the IO at Oath Ceremony will think otherwise?
Anyone has had experience taking an Oath after travelling during the period (less than 6 months) between Interview and the Oath?

The IO at oath may want to see your stamped password as proof of the 5 month trip. If he/she sees (from your passport stamps) that you have a history of back and forth travel, the IO may decide to pull you and re-verify your US residential ties. Simply put, a 5 month trip between interview and oath will raise more eyebrows than a trip of only 2 weeks. In the end, the burden is on the applicant to prove US residential ties up until he oath.

My argument is if I am approved, the IO and his Supervisor had a through look at my case and my travel patterns and yet approved my case. The IO at the Oath Ceremony shouldn't be reopening a case just on the basis of a trip less than 6 months. Yes, if a trip lasted over 6 months then he can take action. I believe at the Oath Ceremony they might have the files of the applicants, do they?

Your case was recommended for approval at the interview based on the information provided, but any new information that comes up until the oath can cause your case to have to be reevaluated (especially any long travel that has occurred between interview and oath). You must meet the residency requirement up until your oath date and the IO at oath may decide that your long trip before oath needs to be further scrutinized to re-evaluate your US residency ties. Whether the IO takes that decision at oath is entirely to their discretion.

I remember a lengthy post in which this specific issue was being discussed. Can't recall the OP, but he was adamant that fulfillment is required only till the day of the interview. The forum members themselves were split half and half on the issue if memory serves me correctly.

This is a good post for others to read and really does show that you are not automatically set for US citizenship after you get approved after your interview and recieve an Oath date.

I apologise if it sounded insensitive, but my query was a genuine one. I have seen countless posts of GC holders making such long trips and out of sheer curiosity, want to know what professions allow this.

With regards to the OP, he did not abide by the regulations. What words of comfort do you want me to give him? I do not believe in giving anyone false hope, since that ends up hurting one more. I hope his case is resolved quickly and in his favour. Yes, I hold three citizenships, but two of them were obtained by adhering to all the regulations that were thrown my way.

I apologise once again if I sounded insensitive. That was never my intention.

wow; that's a bit insensitive isn't it?
Imagine going to the oath (granted that what the OP did was not correct: taking long trips after interview), getting pulled out, and this is the only comment you choose to make?
with so much experience on your side ("I hold 3 citizenships") I thought you'd be most undesratnding how hard something like that can be.

I know what he did was technically wrong, but right now he probably needs every bit of good advise and comforting he can get. I hope everything gets resolved soon, and the matter gets settled.

My argument is if I am approved, the IO and his Supervisor had a through look at my case and my travel patterns and yet approved my case. The IO at the Oath Ceremony shouldn't be reopening a case just on the basis of a trip less than 6 months. Yes, if a trip lasted over 6 months then he can take action. I believe at the Oath Ceremony they might have the files of the applicants, do they?

Everything is taken into account until you actually are naturalized. This includes up to the Oath. This is why they ask you to document everything new at the oath from your interview. People are pulled out all the time for various reasons at the Oath. Until you officially get naturalized you have to fulfill everything as before the interview. They can open any case if they feel there's something important to look at...

Triple: I may have been oversensitive too. I believe you that you didn't mean any harm. Sorry for being a bit overreactive myself.
I also firmly believe in adhering to rules EXACTLY, and that's how my whole process was done, too.
Then again, I just thought that the OP's mistake was an honest error (I would like to believe so), and that he truly didn't know about the rule. In that case, I just wanted to reassure that since it was an honest mistake and not intentional, that he should be able to get it resolved by explaining so.

I doubt USCIS cares about honest mistakes. I did not know of these laws and restrictions until the interview day. Before filing I read the whole 65 page naturalization guide but it doesn't explain the laws and dos and donts. As guided by posters in this forum I need to prove the legitimacy of my trips and that I did not intend to abaondon my residency. Of course I did not know about N-470 either.

I doubt USCIS cares about honest mistakes. I did not know of these laws and restrictions until the interview day. Before filing I read the whole 65 page naturalization guide but it doesn't explain the laws and dos and donts. As guided by posters in this forum I need to prove the legitimacy of my trips and that I did not intend to abaondon my residency. Of course I did not know about N-470 either.

Pages 22-23 of the guide discusses both continuous residency and the N-470.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf