Reentry Permit Processing Time

Hello,

I would like to know what to write in section 4 (purpose of the trip).

Should I say I got a job overseas?? Am I not going to get refused the permit since as a green card holder I'm supposed to be working in the US....

Thank you!

Hello,

I would like to know what to write in section 4 (purpose of the trip).

Should I say I got a job overseas?? Am I not going to get refused the permit since as a green card holder I'm supposed to be working in the US....

Just say personal reasons. It's not your job keeping you overseas, it's the other stuff you need to finish up before settling down in the US, correct?

After the short upcoming stay in the US, how long do you expect to be overseas again? If it's less than 6 months, and it will be your last long trip away from the US, don't bother with the reentry permit.

Just say personal reasons. It's not your job keeping you overseas, it's the other stuff you need to finish up before settling down in the US, correct?

After the short upcoming stay in the US, how long do you expect to be overseas again? If it's less than 6 months, and it will be your last long trip away from the US, don't bother with the reentry permit.

Hello and thank you for your answer.

I plan on staying away for a while. What's personnal reason??
For example: would it be that my mother is sick?

Thx

Hello and thank you for your answer.

I plan on staying away for a while. What's personnal reason??
For example: would it be that my mother is sick?

Yes, "personal reasons" could mean assisting a sick relative. You don't have to give the specific reason on the I-131, you can just write "personal reasons". But be prepared to give a more specific reason if asked when using the reentry permit at the POE.

Remember that you must be in the US when the reentry permit application is filed (including when USCIS receives it), and again to give fingerprints a few weeks later, but you can leave the US in between USCIS receiving it and fingerprinting.

Yes, "personal reasons" could mean assisting a sick relative. You don't have to give the specific reason on the I-131, you can just write "personal reasons". But be prepared to give a more specific reason if asked when using the reentry permit at the POE.

Remember that you must be in the US when the reentry permit application is filed (including when USCIS receives it), and again to give fingerprints a few weeks later, but you can leave the US in between USCIS receiving it and fingerprinting.

ok thanks a lot!
I read that the fingerprinting was not asked every time. Is it true?
Also, If I get a re entry permit for 2 years, can i come back to the US let say in 6 month and still have the re entry permit good for the 1year and a half left? Or I need to apply for a new one? =)

thanks you!!

Hah, don't know why I assumed you're in the UAE.

The permit is valid for multiple trips for the whole 2 years. You will definitely be required to submit your photo and fingerprints.

Hah, don't know why I assumed you're in the UAE.

The permit is valid for multiple trips for the whole 2 years. You will definitely be required to submit your photo and fingerprints.

Lol why would I be in the UAE? WHat made you think of that? :)

Thanks for your answer though!

Hi,
Why we should be in US while filing the application (including when USCIS receives it)?
Can we post the filled application to a freind in US, then he/she puts a cheque in the envelop and mails it to the office?
So we can come back to the US after 3-5 weeks after receiving the application by the immigration office.
Is this approach wrong?
thanks

Hi All
in my case i am expecting to do our P.O.E in next Nov., that's because our DV interview could be in August or Sep., so this while my kids school will start in our current country.
so we are planning to travel to US ( P.O.E ) in November or earlier Dec. " in the schools mid term holiday " and doing the needed procedures for the GC, then to return back to our country to complete the schools physical year " until May " then comeback to US to stay permanently.
so we have 5 weeks holiday, and i think there is not enough time to proceed the GC and apply for reentry permit and waiting for the approval !
what we can do in this case ?

my issue that i dont want my kids to lost the school year, since they have to complete it where they already started, and at the same time they cant complete it in US if the arrive in Nov. or Dec. !

any advice please ..

Thanks

so we have 5 weeks holiday, and i think there is not enough time to proceed the GC and apply for reentry permit and waiting for the approval !

5 weeks should be enough time. The biometrics appointment probably will be within 5 weeks after USCIS receives the application, and it is possible to go for an early walk-in once you have the appointment paper. Once the biometrics are done it is OK to leave the US and wait for approval.

And if you and your kids are going to be in the US in December and again in May, you don't need a reentry permit anyway. December to May is less than 6 months, and still within the first year of your green cards. They tend to be lenient during the first year, as they understand that many people have to finish up various things in the other country before settling down in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 weeks should be enough time. The biometrics appointment probably will be within 5 weeks after USCIS receives the application, and it is possible to go for an early walk-in once you have the appointment paper. Once the biometrics are done it is OK to leave the US and wait for approval.

And if you and your kids are going to be in the US in December and again in May, you don't need a reentry permit anyway. December to May is less than 6 months, and still within the first year of your green cards. They tend to be lenient during the first year, as they understand that many people have to finish up various things in the other country before settling down in the US.

Thanks Jackolantern for the valuable answer.
what you mean by " biometrics appointment " this appointment for what ?
and when the GC holder have to apply for reentry permit ? if he want to stay out of the US for how long ?

Thanks Jackolantern for the valuable answer.
what you mean by " biometrics appointment " this appointment for what ?
A few weeks after applying for the reentry permit, there will be an appointment an immigration office to give fingerprints and take your picture. However, children under 14 are exempt from this requirement.

and when the GC holder have to apply for reentry permit ? if he want to stay out of the US for how long ?
Green card holders need a reentry permit to stay outside the US for 1 year or more (however there are some exceptions where no reentry permit is required, such as serving abroad in the US military).

Green card holders need a reentry permit to stay outside the US for 1 year or more (however there are some exceptions where no reentry permit is required, such as serving abroad in the US military).

Really too many thanks PMJackolantern !

appreciate your patience

so the re-entry permit is for satying outside the US for 1 year and more, so 8 month out of US for example will be ok ? and i can go back the US with no issue effecting my GC status ?

Last edited by a moderator:
One 8 month trip without a reentry permit should be OK, except that there might be a little harassment at the port of entry because the absence is longer than 6 months. So get ready for some extra questioning, and be prepared to explain that you just got the green card less than a year ago and you wanted to finish up some personal business in your original country* and let the kids finish the school year before settling down in the US. But after the questioning they'll let you in.

*Don't say "home country"! With a green card the US is your official home.

One 8 month trip without a reentry permit should be OK, except that there might be a little harassment at the port of entry because the absence is longer than 6 months. So get ready for some extra questioning, and be prepared to explain that you just got the green card less than a year ago and you wanted to finish up some personal business in your original country* and let the kids finish the school year before settling down in the US. But after the questioning they'll let you in.

*Don't say "home country"! With a green card the US is your official home.

Thanks again Man

Yeh sure our home country will be the US

Best Regards

What is a service request?

Hi,

I applied for the I-131 reentry permit. I learnt afterwards that I could have made the feedback faster by writing expedite on the form before sending and sending with it a self addressed and stamped envelope to send me the appointment date. Once I got the letter with the appointment date I went right away to the service center in my city and asked to do biometrics although my appointment date had not yet arrived. They assisted me somewhat unwillingly at the center and I did the biometrics. My application was received January 7th 2013, fingerprinting Jan 25th (by the way, my daughter is 7 and although i do not pay a biometrics fee for her they always ask to take her fingerprints so if you have a child less than 18 bring him/her with you to the appointment). I am wondering now how long it will take to receive a response, on the website i see my case is still in acceptance. It is now May 2nd (four months since the acceptance of my papers).
This long intro is to help others and answer their questions. My question is what is a service request that a couple of people referred to. Is that done by phone or on the website? Does i help move my papers faster?

Thanks.

rkamhawi