• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Reentry permit in Covid times

It seems to be going pretty quickly these days. I applied the end of August, received my NOA a week later and my biometrics appointment about a month and a half later. In contrast, with my previous application in March 2021 (withdrawn that application) I had to wait about a month for my NOA and almost 5 months to get my bio appointment.
Thank you for your response. Can you say how much notice you got before the biometrics appointment? I know it seems like about 5 weeks but that is assuming you received the notice in the mail right after the NOA.

Thank you for your response. Can you say how much notice you got before the biometrics appointment? I know it seems like about 5 weeks but that is assuming you received the notice in the mail right after the NOA.
In both times I received it in the mail about 2.5 weeks before the actual appointment

Hello!

I haven't checked this forum in a while since I startd this thread, and my re-entry permit adventure is not over yet!

I had the same bad surprise as 'airspray' ... I travelled to the US last year (Oct 2021) to apply for the permit, I filed my application with USPS express service and I left 2 days later. The application was delivered on the 3rd day ... I didn't even realize back then that this was an issue, I thought filing date meant the date when i sent the package.

So when I received the biometrics notification (9 months later, July 2021), I travelled back to the US, did my biometrics and 2 months later, I received the denial notification... Sooo, now I want to reapply again, planning to go next Jan/Feb (& praying to the CBP gods to be nice with me ...).

Do you guys think that I will have to do the biometrics again ? I read that the biometrics validity is 15 months. With the current processing times of the permits, I should have my application processed fast. If so, do they issue the permit directly ?

Hello!

I haven't checked this forum in a while since I startd this thread, and my re-entry permit adventure is not over yet!

I had the same bad surprise as 'airspray' ... I travelled to the US last year (Oct 2021) to apply for the permit, I filed my application with USPS express service and I left 2 days later. The application was delivered on the 3rd day ... I didn't even realize back then that this was an issue, I thought filing date meant the date when i sent the package.

So when I received the biometrics notification (9 months later, July 2021), I travelled back to the US, did my biometrics and 2 months later, I received the denial notification... Sooo, now I want to reapply again, planning to go next Jan/Feb (& praying to the CBP gods to be nice with me ...).

Do you guys think that I will have to do the biometrics again ? I read that the biometrics validity is 15 months. With the current processing times of the permits, I should have my application processed fast. If so, do they issue the permit directly ?
I’m not aware of any official source that says the biometrics is valid for 15 months. USCIS can (at their own discretion) waive the biometrics appointment requirement and re-use previously collected biometrics - they started doing so to help them cope with the work backlogs resulting from office closures due to COVID-19.

Your application will still go through the process even if they decide to waive the bio appointment, it doesn’t mean the permit gets issued immediately following the application submission. It may get issued slightly quicker by a couple of months.

Hello!

Oh no, sorry to hear that, that sucks. I wish USCIS would just deny it before they make you wait 9 months (!!!) and attend the biometrics. But this agency seems to be doing whatever it possibly can to make things as complicated, vague and expensive as possible. Shameful, really. They have no problem cashing your check in 3 days but make you wait a year for a denial...
Luckily I figured out it's going to be denied before I even got called for biometrics (it arrived later) so was able to just withdraw that and start over...

And I agree with Mom, it's not an official policy, it's just a thing they started doing in May to reduce backlogs, it's not a guarantee and it doesn't mean they will continue doing it (especially since it seems like the backlogs, at least in the i-131 department, are massively reduced now).

Anyway, after almost 2 years outside the US (I'm amazed you haven't encountered any border problems thus far), I would say it's going to be very risky to just re-apply and leave again. I think you better off staying inside the US, at least until the biometrics is done (or waived) - it's going much faster these days.
Also think with yourself if you still actually need it and if it wouldn't be easier and safer to just move (I'm starting to wonder the same for myself and I'm only in the process (and an LPR) for about 8 months total...)
My last encounter with a CBP officer in Miami (worst airport in the history of the world) after only being gone for 2 months made my realize the noose is tightening...

Last edited:
I’m not aware of any official source that says the biometrics is valid for 15 months. USCIS can (at their own discretion) waive the biometrics appointment requirement and re-use previously collected biometrics - they started doing so to help them cope with the work backlogs resulting from office closures due to COVID-19.

Your application will still go through the process even if they decide to waive the bio appointment, it doesn’t mean the permit gets issued immediately following the application submission. It may get issued slightly quicker by a couple of months.

hmm the only information I found from USCIS regarding the validity period of the biometrics is here: https://www.uscis.gov/adoption/suitability-and-home-study-information/background-checks . It's not for re-entry permits, but I'm wondering if it's valid for all uscis applications.

Many imigration lawyers seem to be mentioning this 15 months validity period, no idea where it comes from (xxxxxxxxxxx)

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm the only information I found from USCIS regarding the validity period of the biometrics is here: https://www.uscis.gov/adoption/suitability-and-home-study-information/background-checks . It's not for re-entry permits, but I'm wondering if it's valid for all uscis applications.

Many imigration lawyers seem to be mentioning this 15 months validity period, no idea where it comes from (xxxxxxxxxxx)
The second link in your post, which is from a pay for service forum/website (and not that of an immigration lawyer) has been removed - the authenticity of what is listed there does not point back to the official (USCIS) website.

The second link in your post, which is from a pay for service forum/website (and not that of an immigration lawyer) has been removed - the authenticity of what is listed there does not point back to the official (USCIS) website.

Ok! Here are 2 other links, first one is from a platform that provides open &free access to law related issues and the second one is from another forum, where this specific question was answered by immigration lawyers.

DId you get your biometric letter yet, and how much was the break between getting the greencard and applying for re entry permit, as i heard sometimes they use old biometric too , I have also applied recently so curious to know the timelines

DId you get your biometric letter yet, and how much was the break between getting the greencard and applying for re entry permit, as i heard sometimes they use old biometric too , I have also applied recently so curious to know the timelines
I can tell you that mine took 3 months exactly from start to finish (application received Sep. 1, permit issued Dec. 7)

Thanks for the update. That sounds quick if its including the biometric time too. .so that means they still do biometric then and do not reuse ia m assuming here.

Thanks for the update. That sounds quick if its including the biometric time too. .so that means they still do biometric then and do not reuse ia m assuming here.
yeah I did my biometrics in the first week of November. It was super quick indeed, I honestly didn't expect that.
I had never had my biometrics taken by USCIS before that so they couldn't use previous biometrics even if they wanted to...

Last edited:
Hello,

Does anyone know if we can have the biometrics taken in an ASC other than where my official USCIS adress is ?
In other words, can i use an adress on the I-131 that is different from my US official address ?

Thank you,
Kassem

I did not receive my biometrics notice yet. Just the NOA. The receipts states it was received on 4th November.

Does anyone have any recent information after submitting the application/fees, how long would it take after receiving the NOA would I get the Biometrics notices

I did not receive my biometrics notice yet. Just the NOA. The receipts states it was received on 4th November.

Does anyone have any recent information after submitting the application/fees, how long would it take after receiving the NOA would I get the Biometrics notices
It's not very consistent... I know of people who applied in the last months and got it in 3 weeks, and some people that have been waiting for 4 months. They also removed the re-entry permit section from their processing times page for some reason so it's even harder to track. I guess it has to do with the workload of the specific ASC you're assigned to, the situation with the pandemic now etc.

Hi Sm1smom and Susie
I need your help to clarify the following,
1-is there any specific time between the filling the reentry permit I-131 and attending the biometric, like in my case I filled last July 2021 and biometric already done on August 2022 (I.e 13 months in between) is that OK?
2- they requested some additional evidances for my daughter , can I send it by mail while iam outside the usa. Like I will send it to my friend and he can send to them by mail.
3- I left the usa after the file has been received by the USCIS, and coming back for the biometric after it has been rescheduled, is that OK? I meant that the biometric has been done

Hi Sm1smom and Susie
1-is there any specific time between the filling the reentry permit I-131 and attending the biometric, like in my case I filled last July 2021 and biometric already done on August 2022 (I.e 13 months in between) is that OK?
2- they requested some additional evidances for my daughter , can I send it by mail while iam outside the usa. Like I will send it to my friend and he can send to them by mail.
3- I left the usa after the file has been received by the USCIS, and coming back for the biometric after it has been rescheduled, is that OK? I meant that the biometric has been done
1. It is whatever they can make it be. There have been long delays after covid though I understand those are now much improved
2. Sorry, no idea. I don’t usually hear about them requiring evidence for reentry permits so not sure what the complication is. Note that if it is for your daughter and IF presence is important (i don’t know if it is here) it doesn’t matter whether or not you are outside the US, it matters where your daughter is.
3. This sentence is not clear to me, it seems you are talking about coming back for rescheduled biometrics after biometrics have been done but that doesn’t make sense so I guess you mean something else.

This is a very simple process when you follow the normal procedure. Going in and out during the process before bio is completed is what complicates it.

Hi Sm1smom and Susie
One more thing. Have you all been outside the US for more than a year already if you filed in July 2021 and (if I understand correctly) bio was or will be sometime in August?

1. It is whatever they can make it be. There have been long delays after covid though I understand those are now much improved
2. Sorry, no idea. I don’t usually hear about them requiring evidence for reentry permits so not sure what the complication is. Note that if it is for your daughter and IF presence is important (i don’t know if it is here) it doesn’t matter whether or not you are outside the US, it matters where your daughter is.
3. This sentence is not clear to me, it seems you are talking about coming back for rescheduled biometrics after biometrics have been done but that doesn’t make sense so I guess you mean something else.

This is a very simple process when you follow the normal procedure. Going in and out during the process before bio is completed is what complicates it.
HI Sm1smom,
Thank you very much
my daughter and I are both outside the usa, her reentry permit application has been received last June 2021, now they are asking for additional evidances, my question is can I send the requested additional evidances to my friend in the usa and he can mail it to them? Is that OK

Hi Sm1smom and Susie
1. I don’t quite understand what you mean by specific time between filing the I-131 and completing the bio, considering you’ve already completed the bio.
2. Was your daughter in the US when her re-entry permit was filed? If she wasn’t and the re-entry permit was filed on her behalf as if she was in the country, then I think you should really be concerned regardless of if your friend mail out the RFE response on your behalf or not.
3. Does the date on the NOA corresponds to before your departure from the US? Is this the same for your daughter’s?