• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Reentry permit in Covid times

Hi Smom and Susie,
I need your help, our appointment for the biometric(Reentry permit) has been decided, the notifications has been received ,currently we are outside the usa and the appointed date is not suitable for us, can we postpone it?
They did show telephone number to postpone the appointment which shall be with valid reason , based on the fact that we are out side the USA is that considered valid reason to postpone the appointment
When you decided to leave the US after submitting your application, what was your plan for getting the bio completed? We’re you planning on returning at your convenience or you didn’t realize the bio could be scheduled at anytime once your application was received?
Well, you can contact USCIS and inform them you all are unable to attend the bio appointment, and hope they reschedule. Mind you if that happens, you don’t get to pick a convenient date or time either.

Thank you Susie,
Let us say that we can't attand the biometric,
1-any consequences for that,
2-does that will have any negative impact on our situation as an immigrant,
3-I do understand that our application will be rejected and that we need to submit new one, is that the only complication of that?
4- if we can't attand shall I inform them in advance or not?
If you fail to attend the bio appointment without informing USCIS prior to the scheduled date, your applications will be considered abandoned and subsequently denied for that. Failure to attend the bio appointment has no direct impact on your LPR status. If there’s an issue with being out of the country for too long and without a re-entry permit to demonstrate you haven’t abandoned residence, that is something you deal with at the POE.

Thank you Susie,
Let us say that we can't attand the biometric,
1-any consequences for that,
2-does that will have any negative impact on our situation as an immigrant,
3-I do understand that our application will be rejected and that we need to submit new one, is that the only complication of that?
4- if we can't attand shall I inform them in advance or not?
1. Yes, the application will be denied.
2. I assume you applied for a re-entry permit expecting to be outside the US longer than normally allowed on a green card. Obviously that could negatively affect your situation.
3. Covered under 1 and 2 as well as previous answers earlier in the thread about just touching down in the US now and then. Obviously that becomes more of an issue if you don’t have a reentry permit. By the way, how do you know the next bio won’t be “inconvenient” too if you apply again? (Side note, Is it really easier to bring everyone back for a new application than to bring them back for bio?)
4. It would allow them to give the slot to someone else so would be a nice thing to do. And as mom says they might reschedule you, though I personally think this excuse may not be seen as acceptable under the circumstances.

When you decided to leave the US after submitting your application, what was your plan for getting the bio completed? We’re you planning on returning at your convenience or you didn’t realize the bio could be scheduled at anytime once your application was received?
Well, you can contact USCIS and inform them you all are unable to attend the bio appointment, and hope they reschedule. Mind you if that happens, you don’t get to pick a convenient date or time either.
HI Smom,
1- if I call USCIS, can I request to change the location of the biometric (to another state) and the date as well.
2-if we didn't attend the biometric, does that have any impact on the next submission of the reentry permit.
3- we are not exceding 6 months in each trip is that consider long period.
4- in our case can I inform them that We are currently outside the usa (is that can be considered a valid reason to reschedule the biometric date). any suggestion?

When I say suggestion, I want to say that I been under the impression that scheduling the biometric will take longer time during the covid but can I say like that?

HI Smom,
1- if I call USCIS, can I request to change the location of the biometric (to another state) and the date as well.
2-if we didn't attend the biometric, does that have any impact on the next submission of the reentry permit.
3- we are not exceding 6 months in each trip is that consider long period.
4- in our case can I inform them that We are currently outside the usa (is that can be considered a valid reason to reschedule the biometric date). any suggestion?
1. No you can't
2. Susie already answered this above^^
3. Also answered by Susie above ^^ "Covered under 1 and 2 as well as previous answers earlier in the thread about just touching down in the US now and then. Obviously that becomes more of an issue if you don’t have a reentry permit"
4. I don't know.

When I say suggestion, I want to say that I been under the impression that scheduling the biometric will take longer time during the covid but can I say like that?
You can say that if you like, I don't know if they fill consider it an acceptable reason to reschedule the bio.

1. No you can't
2. Susie already answered this above^^
3. Also answered by Susie above ^^ "Covered under 1 and 2 as well as previous answers earlier in the thread about just touching down in the US now and then. Obviously that becomes more of an issue if you don’t have a reentry permit"
4. I don't know.
Iam sorry, I haven't been clear with my question, I want to say if we don't attend the biometric, our application will be rejected, my question is, does this rejection will have any negative impact on my new application if I decide to submit after some time.

Iam sorry, I haven't been clear with my question, I want to say if we don't attend the biometric, our application will be rejected, my question is, does this rejection will have any negative impact on my new application if I decide to submit after some time.
No. If you’re happy to pay all the fees again they will happily accept your next application.
But do think about the questions you will get from CBP when you keep touching down for brief periods but are obviously not resident here, yet don’t have a re-entry permit.

we are not exceding 6 months in each trip is that consider long period.

You may need to start deciding how important the green card really is to you during one of these touchdown trips, because getting a warning (sometimes ”officially” as in they make a note in your passport, and anyway it will be on the system) and then doing the same thing again next time because you don’t have the permit yet is going to get tougher and tougher. Note that time in/out is only a guideline and the real test is whether or not you are actually living here. I am guessing you do not have most of the things they usually look at for this: “While brief trips abroad generally are not problematic, the officer may consider criteria such as whether your intention was to visit abroad only temporarily, whether you maintained U.S. family and community ties, maintained U.S employment, filed U.S. income taxes as a resident, or otherwise established your intention to return to the United States as your permanent home. Other factors that may be considered include whether you maintained a U.S. mailing address, kept U.S. bank accounts and a valid U.S. driver’s license, own property or run a business in the United States, or any other evidence that supports the temporary nature of your absence.” The only thing is going to “excuse” you from not presenting most these is a re-entry permit.

No. If you’re happy to pay all the fees again they will happily accept your next application.
But do think about the questions you will get from CBP when you keep touching down for brief periods but are obviously not resident here, yet don’t have a re-entry permit.

You may need to start deciding how important the green card really is to you during one of these touchdown trips, because getting a warning (sometimes ”officially” as in they make a note in your passport, and anyway it will be on the system) and then doing the same thing again next time because you don’t have the permit yet is going to get tougher and tougher. Note that time in/out is only a guideline and the real test is whether or not you are actually living here. I am guessing you do not have most of the things they usually look at for this: “While brief trips abroad generally are not problematic, the officer may consider criteria such as whether your intention was to visit abroad only temporarily, whether you maintained U.S. family and community ties, maintained U.S employment, filed U.S. income taxes as a resident, or otherwise established your intention to return to the United States as your permanent home. Other factors that may be considered include whether you maintained a U.S. mailing address, kept U.S. bank accounts and a valid U.S. driver’s license, own property or run a business in the United States, or any other evidence that supports the temporary nature of your absence.” The only thing is going to “excuse” you from not presenting most these is a re-entry permit.
HI Smom1,
If I can't attand the biometric, the other solution is to apply for new fresh Reentry permit, my question are as follows,
1-can I use my friend mailing adress and his name who is living in california to fill the adress section,
2-i did submit previously AR11(change the adress) and I used another friend adress who is living in another state (Not California), my question is, the location of the biometric appointment will be in california (the adress I will put in the reentry permit) OR the adress I used in the previously submitted AR11which is registered already in the USCIS.

HI Smom1,
If I can't attand the biometric, the other solution is to apply for new fresh Reentry permit, my question are as follows,
1-can I use my friend mailing adress and his name who is living in california to fill the adress section,
2-i did submit previously AR11(change the adress) and I used another friend adress who is living in another state (Not California), my question is, the location of the biometric appointment will be in california (the adress I will put in the reentry permit) OR the adress I used in the previously submitted AR11which is registered already in the USCIS.
1. Yes you can use your California friend’s mailing address. I hope you realize you do have to be in the US in order to file a new application though.
2. Bio will be based on whatever address is listed on the re-entry permit application.

Hi Smom1and Suise
I need your help to provide me with your valuable advise in connection with my request for the reentry permit,
the appointed biometric date and location are not suitable for me due to the fact that I was under the impression that the biometric date during the Covid can take around 7 months to be decided (in my case took around 2 months only). However
currently Iam in the US but due to some family issues in my birth of country, I have to leave again (most propably within one week) and I can come back again in month of January 2022 considering these situation my questions are as follows
1-can I request the USCIS to change the biometric date to be beyond January 2022
2- if the answer of the above question 1 is NO,what is the best scenario to follow
3-if no solution for this issue, may I submit request to withdraw my reentry permit application and at the same time send new fresh application for the reentry permit with new adress (withdrawal letter for the old reentry permit application + the new application on the same envelope)
4-can I request in the new application to appoint the biometric date beyond January 2022
5- I am aware that the withdrawal request is requiring me to explain the reason for the withdrawal, is that correct? If yes what can I say considering my above situation
6- is there any specific form for the withdrawal or it is just a letter.
7- which is better to request to postpone the biometric date OR to submit the withdrawal request and new fresh application as indicated above.
8- most probably, I can't attend the biometric date, in this case the biometric date will pass and my application might be rescheduled automatically or rejected, which is better to withdraw or to leave it pass without attending the biometric date.
Thank you in advance

Hi Smom1and Suise
I need your help to provide me with your valuable advise in connection with my request for the reentry permit,
the appointed biometric date and location are not suitable for me due to the fact that I was under the impression that the biometric date during the Covid can take around 7 months to be decided (in my case took around 2 months only). However
currently Iam in the US but due to some family issues in my birth of country, I have to leave again (most propably within one week) and I can come back again in month of January 2022 considering these situation my questions are as follows
1-can I request the USCIS to change the biometric date to be beyond January 2022
2- if the answer of the above question 1 is NO,what is the best scenario to follow
3-if no solution for this issue, may I submit request to withdraw my reentry permit application and at the same time send new fresh application for the reentry permit with new adress (withdrawal letter for the old reentry permit application + the new application on the same envelope)
4-can I request in the new application to appoint the biometric date beyond January 2022
5- I am aware that the withdrawal request is requiring me to explain the reason for the withdrawal, is that correct? If yes what can I say considering my above situation
7- which is better to request to postpone the biometric date OR to submit the withdrawal request and new fresh application as indicated above.
8- most probably, I can't attend the biometric date, in this case the biometric date will pass and my application might be rescheduled automatically or rejected, which is better to withdraw or to leave it pass without attending the biometric date.
Thank you in advance
Whoa that is a lot.

Before answering anything, do I recall correctly the permit was meant to be for you and your family? Are they also all here? You all have to be in the US if you want to file for everyone.

1. and 4. No, you cannot request a specific date for bio.

beyond that I am really reluctant to answer especially about a “best” scenario given how complicated your case seems to be. You need to make your best judgement about the route to follow. The only advice I will give you is to not submit again until you are sure you can make any biometrics appointment they send you.

Hi Smom1and Suise
Thank you in advance
I have to say upfront your reason(s) for needing to leave within one week makes absolutely no sense considering you already knew your bio date before returning to the US and all you really needed to have done was to arrive 2 to 3 days before the actual appointment and leave upon completion. Your post sounds like you came several days/weeks before and you now need to leave before the appointment date. Anyways, to your questions:
1. No you cannot request a specific month or date if you cannot make the already scheduled appointment. You basically inform them and wait for them to reschedule you for whenever they wish to.
2. Go figure it out on your own.
3. You don’t need to submit a withdrawal. The application will be deemed abandoned once you fail to show up for the bio appointment and subsequently denied. Yes you can submit a new application even before the current one gets denied.
4. No. See 1 above.
5. I can’t provide you with a reason.
6. No specific form. See 3.
7 & 8. See above responses.

I have to say upfront your reason(s) for needing to leave within one week makes absolutely no sense considering you already knew your bio date before returning to the US and all you really needed to have done was to arrive 2 to 3 days before the actual appointment and leave upon completion. Your post sounds like you came several days/weeks before and you now need to leave before the appointment date. Anyways, to your questions:
1. No you cannot request a specific month or date if you cannot make the already scheduled appointment. You basically inform them and wait for them to reschedule you for whenever they wish to.
2. Go figure it out on your own.
3. You don’t need to submit a withdrawal. The application will be deemed abandoned once you fail to show up for the bio appointment and subsequently denied. Yes you can submit a new application even before the current one gets denied.
4. No. See 1 above.
5. I can’t provide you with a reason.
6. No specific form. See 3.
7 & 8. See above responses.
HI Smom and Susie,
Thank youvery much for your continued help
As per the current rules I have to arrive 10 days before the biometric date (due to the Covid issue), unfortenetely I missed one day only during the calculation, this is the actual reason behind my issue, due to some reasons I can't delay my depart , however the only options I have are as follows,
1-To call the USCIS and ask them to postpone my biometric date, but again the issue might come again if they give me new appointment during this year noting that I will be ready to come again for the biometric any date next year (2022)but not before the end of this year.
2-to send withdrawal letter for the submitted application and depart immediately , to apply for fresh and new application once we come back early in 2022and stay for two weeks and depart again ,and to come back again 12 days before the biometric date.
Any advise please.

I missed the third option,
3- to withdraw the application and submit immediately fresh and new one, but again my concern that they might shedule the biometric date during this year and defenetly can't attend.
By the way this for me and for my family.

HI Smom and Susie,
Thank youvery much for your continued help
As per the current rules I have to arrive 10 days before the biometric date (due to the Covid issue), unfortenetely I missed one day only during the calculation, this is the actual reason behind my issue, due to some reasons I can't delay my depart , however the only options I have are as follows,
1-To call the USCIS and ask them to postpone my biometric date, but again the issue might come again if they give me new appointment during this year noting that I will be ready to come again for the biometric any date next year (2022)but not before the end of this year.
2-to send withdrawal letter for the submitted application and depart immediately , to apply for fresh and new application once we come back early in 2022and stay for two weeks and depart again ,and to come back again 12 days before the biometric date.
Any advise please.
I missed the third option,
3- to withdraw the application and submit immediately fresh and new one, but again my concern that they might shedule the biometric date during this year and defenetly can't attend.
By the way this for me and for my family.

Sorry I can't go through this again. Please see my previous response(s). I have already addressed these issues as best as I can. You need to decide on your own the next steps moving forward based on the information you've already been provided with.

Did anyone apply for a reentry permit recently and knows what is the waiting times for biometrics appointments? I applied on the 02 Nov, 2021 and got the NOA on the 07 Nov, 2021

Did anyone apply for a reentry permit recently and knows what is the waiting times for biometrics appointments? I applied on the 02 Nov, 2021 and got the NOA on the 07 Nov, 2021
It seems to be going pretty quickly these days. I applied the end of August, received my NOA a week later and my biometrics appointment about a month and a half later. In contrast, with my previous application in March 2021 (withdrawn that application) I had to wait about a month for my NOA and almost 5 months to get my bio appointment.