record effect on citizenship application

forex_dealer

Registered Users (C)
Hello guys,
I have a quick question.If you have an arrest record for misdemenour and if the case has been dismissed and you have a letter from court stating that you haven't been convicted and that the charge has been dropped,will you have any problems with your application for citizenship?It was a false arrest but it will be hard to expunge the record,I heard if you present a court resolution,you should be ok.
Has anyone had problems of this nature in the past?
thanks for feedback!

It depends on the exact charge, how long it was, and what the potential sentence was for such a crime.

potential charge is from 30 days to 12 months,recent arrest.But like I said it was a fault arrest,but I guess USCIS is not going to know it, all they will see is the arrest record and no conviction.

potential charge is from 30 days to 12 months,recent arrest.But like I said it was a fault arrest,but I guess USCIS is not going to know it, all they will see is the arrest record and no conviction.

If this was a false arrest, make sure you bring your arrest record and court disposition to the interview. I don't think this will cause any problems.

It is false arrest in my eyes,but I don't have any paper work stating that it was a false arrest.Case has been dropped,I have not yet applied for citizenship so I want to make sure before applying.
If you were not convicted and if the case has been dismissed,will they naturilize you?
Is there a list of deportable offenses somewhere?

You are correct, your eyes do not matter to USCIS. What was the final outcome according to the authorities? Arrested and then charges dropped? Arrested, charged but no conviction?

It is false arrest in my eyes,but I don't have any paper work stating that it was a false arrest.

You are correct, your eyes do not matter to USCIS. What was the final outcome according to the authorities? Arrested and then charges dropped? Arrested, charged but no conviction?

Arrested and charges dropped.
What is the main distinction between charges dropped and charged but no conviction?

Under immigration law, guilt has to be found by the courts or sufficient evidence to admit guilt and probation are considered convictions. If you never pleaded guilt and the charges were dropped you shouldn't have any problems. Be sure to bring the court records to the interview, and don't divulge more than you have to to the IO (ie stick to the fact that charges were dropped if IO asks you for specific details about the case).

I want to clarify something,when you say charges were dropped,are you saying that the case didn't even make to court?Let's say if court dismisses the case,would that be considered charges dropped?
I just want to clarify this for myself.
But thanks for responses,I really appreciate it,I was kind of worried about this.

Charges dropped means there was not enough evidence to convict. Whether it goes to court or not shouldn't be relevant.