Received Oath letter after completing Citizenship - Help

Yeah,

or tell me why the immigration officer even mentioned that allegedly I overstayed a visa more than 10 years ago - AFTER flipping my US passport.

Was that something the CBP officer made up or actually saw on his system? Did you in fact overstay a visa 10 years ago (would you remember such a thing?)

Oh, that has been going forth and back ever since I got my green card. Letter to Boxer and Finestein and all that, asking to have that cleared out, asking why they think I did - done everything possible to get that cleared up - no luck.

Since you don't get an exit stamp, you don't have a chance to prove otherwise.

As a matter of fact, when I had my GC interview, I surrendered an old I-94W since it was never taken out from my passport.

I don't trust that system one bit.

Was that something the CBP officer made up or actually saw on his system? Did you in fact overstay a visa 10 years ago (would you remember such a thing?)

Guys. Hold on. How can an online status based on a receipt number mean anything. Until this issue was reported by OP, no one ever cared about this.

Here is my point. If you have a valid passport and you are entering the US, all they do is swipe your passport and make sure your passport is valid and thats it. I don't think they care about anything else. They don't check computer to make sure you are citizen. The fact that you have passport and it is valid means you are a citizen. Period.

You think?

Dream on - have a friend who worked there and trust me - they get the whole spiel of everything. Nothing easier than that really - at least from an IT perspective.

Guys. Hold on. How can an online status based on a receipt number mean anything. Until this issue was reported by OP, no one ever cared about this.
Nobody cares about the online status, the issue is that a second oath letter was received after completing the oath because USCIS thinks the OP is not a citizen.

Here is my point. If you have a valid passport and you are entering the US, all they do is swipe your passport and make sure your passport is valid and thats it. I don't think they care about anything else. They don't check computer to make sure you are citizen. The fact that you have passport and it is valid means you are a citizen. Period.
The problem is the OP doesn't even know if the passport will show up as being valid in the system. His naturalization record may have been linked to his passport record, and whatever or whoever deleted either one may have had the effect of deleting both. Denaturalization by delinquent database deletion.

Last edited by a moderator:
You think?

Dream on - have a friend who worked there and trust me - they get the whole spiel of everything. Nothing easier than that really - at least from an IT perspective.

But the fact is that paper records still override anything a computer says. If that weren't true, you wouldn't have any recourse to disprove a mistake in a computer database.

You think?

You are relying too much on IT folks. How would they know all that. IT folks in my company have no clue and I work for one of the biggest SW companies in the world.

Nobody cares about the online status, the issue is that a second oath letter was received after completing the oath because USCIS thinks the OP is not a citizen.

The problem is the OP doesn't even know if the passport will show up as being valid in the system. His naturalization record may have been linked to his passport record, and whatever or whoever deleted either one may have had the effect of deleting both. Denaturalization by delinquent database deletion.

I think these are all your theories and I am sure when OP gets it resolved it would be nothing more than an adminstrative mistake. I believe OP got the second oath letter by mistake and thats it. There is nothing more to it than that. By creating all these theories you are trying to scare OP and others.

Well as per some of the posters here we should all call USCIS and ask them if our records are updated. And I am sure they won't even entertain the request. As a matter of fact I will call today and see what they say. Will let you know.

That is true, if the only thing wrong is the online status.

But having them think you are not a citizen, and getting a second oath letter as a result of that incorrect thinking, is not a trivial thing to be ignored.

Agreed 100%. The online status that I referred to in my original post was the online status you get on the USCIS website by inputting your receipt number, not the online status in the USCIS mainframe. I've never even alluded toward the fact that the second oath letter should be ignored.

Well as per some of the posters here we should all call USCIS and ask them if our records are updated. And I am sure they won't even entertain the request. As a matter of fact I will call today and see what they say. Will let you know.

I'm sure that what happened to OP is a fluke. It's an administrative mistake that will be rectified upon visiting the DO. I've already travelled on my passport and haven't encountered any issues.

what i am curious now is, we only sent 2 pictures to the USCIS, the certificate needs one and another one will be put in one's file, so where can they get an extra picture to make a new certificate?

If you're referring to replacing a lost certificate, you'd have to send in a picture as part of the process.

i mean in this specific case when received 2nd oath letter, where can the USCIS gets an extra picture to make a new certificate?

The OP will not receive a new certificate since the original is valid. All the OP needs to do is update his citizenship status with USCIS via Infopass at DO. The OP confirmed he won't have to redo oath.

Issue update

Today I visited DO after scheduling an Infopass.

1. The IO looked at my Citizenship certificate and was completely surprised. The IO looked at my OATH letter and acknowledged there is a mistake and took my certificate inside and returned after 5 minutes

2. The IO said my case is updated and closed and there is no need to appear for OATH and returned my OATH letter

3. The case status online and DO status are not the same.

4. The IO confirmed The US passport is a Proof of Citizenship and not a travel document alone

5. The IO confirmed my spouses case is closed even though online status is pending.

Thanks for all your postings and encouragement during this time.

Regards
Trygc

Today I visited DO after scheduling an Infopass.

1. The IO looked at my Citizenship certificate and was completely surprised. The IO looked at my OATH letter and acknowledged there is a mistake and took my certificate inside and returned after 5 minutes

2. The IO said my case is updated and closed and there is no need to appear for OATH and returned my OATH letter

3. The case status online and DO status are not the same.

4. The IO confirmed The US passport is a Proof of Citizenship and not a travel document alone

5. The IO confirmed my spouses case is closed even though online status is pending.

Thanks for all your postings and encouragement during this time.

Regards
Trygc

Good for you. Now sit back and relax.

vik_b

I assume you got back the certificate, right?

Yes the IO returned my certificate of citizenship after making a copy of it. My passport is also valid and there will be no issue with that. The IO said sorry that I have to make an additional trip.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Trygc