Received Oath letter after completing Citizenship - Help

trygc

Registered Users (C)
Hello

I completed my US citizenship at Jacksonville in December and received certficate of citizenship. I also applied for US passports and received them by December end.

Then out of blue today I received a letter to appear for Oath ceremony on February 3rd at Jacksonville. I am totally confused!!!

I called USCIS and the agent told me that my records were not updated and I am not a citizen according to the system. The agent advised me to reappear for the Oath ceremony and bring all the documents supporting my case.

My case status online shows my application is pending and waiting for approval.

Forum members -please adivise me how to proceed in this scenario. I was planning to apply for PIO and travel aborad and this came as totally unexpected.

Thanks
Trygc

OK, that's an odd one. Make an InfoPass appointment, take your Certificate of Naturalization, your Passport and any other documents you may have with you. Show them to the person there and ask them how can they claim you're not a citizen when you have all the proof, and they have none.

Did you somehow take the oath before your 5 year (or 3 year, if applicable) GC anniversary? If yes, that would be a genuine reason why you need to redo the oath. If not, consider it plain old USCIS incompetence and go to Infopass with your proof and defend your position. But whatever you do, don't let them take away your documents. Leave the building if they want to take them.

I will suggest you go with a Lawyer, bcs if they want to, they might not let you leave the Federal Building or whatever building that might be.- This is the first time I hear such a thing.-

Also, write a letter to the White House, present them your case and then wait for their response. I believe this administration would love to hear what you have to say and I believe the White House will intervene on your behalf and it will be taken care of.

This is incredible and also unacceptable from USCIS.-:mad:

I will suggest you go with a Lawyer, bcs if they want to, they might not let you leave the Federal Building or whatever building that might be.- This is the first time I hear such a thing.-

Also, write a letter to the White House, present them your case and then wait for their response. I believe this administration would love to hear what you have to say and I believe the White House will intervene on your behalf and it will be taken care of.

This is incredible and also unacceptable from USCIS.-:mad:

White House??? Are you kidding me? You think White House will give a damn about this case? I think you are living in some fantasy world.

The best and only thing for the OP is to make an Infopass and also go to the oath date in any case.

This looks like a mistake. Make sure you call USCIS and ask to speak with an IO. Keep insisting and they will eventually transfer you.
Strange thing about this case is that you already have US passport. When they issue US passport, they also verify your citizenship with USCIS and based on your Citizenship Number, they must have cross referenced that with USCIS database and only after verifying your immigration status to be Naturalized citizen would they issue you a passport.

So, in my opinion, this is just a mistake, I wouldn't rely on phone operator in USCIS. As I said, call them again and also make an infopass.

You can contact your senator or congressman.

Good Luck and Keep us posted

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys

I got my GC in June 2002 and applied for N-400 in July 2007. So there should not be any time issue.

I was told by the agent that they might give me a new cerificate of citizenship in the oath ceremony and I might have to surrender my existing one because it never existed in the first place according to the system. Since I already applied for US passport based on the existing certificate of citizenship am I at the risk of losing my passport too?

Should I just take copy of certificate of citizenship to the USCIS building because they might take the original.

The agent told me that I should not travel till the issue is resolved and at risk of not entering US because I have no valid documents if I surrender the current Indian citizenship

1. My debate is should I go to Oath ceremony where it is more informal to defend my case or take an Infopass and get into USCIS building

2. My spouse also got the citizenship at the same time and never got the second oath letter like myself. But her case status online shows it is pending approval. So I am planning to take her also with me to just make sure that her records are straight. In that case I need an Infopass for her because at oath ceremony USCIS will not bring her file.

So this looks like visiting two separate times and presenting our cases differently. What is your advise?

Thanks for all your inputs
Trygc

You should do following:
Call USCIS again and insist on talking to an IO.

Make an InfoPass ASAP and go to the office and talk to a IO (not a clerk).

Make sure you take all your docs including Nat. Cert. , US Passport and so on.
Since you already got US passport on a Naturalization Certificate which USCIS has no proof of, it will be wise to call Pasport office and explain the situation.

But don't do this right now. First make sure you get your Nat. Cert. straightened out.

If it turns out that you will be given a new Nat Cert. then it is obvious that you will have to surrender your passport and reapply for a new one.

This is one of the most bizarre cases I have ever seen. What makes it even more complicated is that you were already issued passport.

This is also very scary, I recently got my passport. So you never know what the hell is going on with USCIS

Should I just take copy of certificate of citizenship to the USCIS building because they might take the original.
Good point. Bring a copy of the certificate and passport (but bring another original ID like your license, so they can know it's you) and ask them to verify the information on it.

1. My debate is should I go to Oath ceremony where it is more informal to defend my case or take an Infopass and get into USCIS building
Don't go to the second oath. You are already a citizen and must defend your citizenship. Going to that second oath could be construed as admitting you are not a citizen. If you go there, don't take the oath.

Meanwhile, use your passport and have your citizenship status updated in other government departments, like the DMV (if your license is soon to expire) and Social Security.

Good point. Bring a copy of the certificate and passport (but bring another original ID like your license, so they can know it's you) and ask them to verify the information on it.

Don't go to the second oath. You are already a citizen and must defend your citizenship. Going to that second oath could be construed as admitting you are not a citizen. If you go there, don't take the oath.

Meanwhile, use your passport and have your citizenship status updated in other government departments, like the DMV (if your license is soon to expire) and Social Security.

Not going to the oath is WRONG advice. You are not admitting anything by going to the oath. During oath there is always an immigration officer present who can also resolve this. Not showing up for any appointment ,even if it is by mistake, is never a good idea.

Try to get the issue resolved by making InfoPass etc .
But even if got it resolved before oath still show up that day and explain the situation to the immigration officer there so that he can take note. If you do not show up, you will confuse the immigration services. They may end up thinking that you abandoned your application. Remember this is USCIS . Anything is possible.

In my opinion, this is just a small administrative mistake but you should follow it up and please keep us posted.

This is not a small administrative mistake. You are a citizen. You have to defend your citizenship. Dont let the inefficient USCIS tell you you are not a citizen. Get it straighten out. Go to court if you have to. But while I do not suggest that you do not take the oath again, I will be very careful. By applying and getting a passport, you have represented yourself as a US citizen and that is a ground for deportation if it is false. By taking the oath again, what are you admitting?

And how is it possible to get a passport without citizenship. Does the passport office not check with the USCIS?

Thanks for the feedback

It is wonderful to get so much thoughtful ideas from the members. I appreciate your inputs and suggestions.

Today I had called the USCIS again and asked for the level 1 agent to transfer me to IO after discussing about my case. The Agent agreed and an IO was on the phone. He seemed helpful without showing authority.

His recommendation is :

1. USCIS can make such mistakes and it is ready to correct its mistakes upon proof of evidence from the petitioner side.
2. He asked me to come to Oath and present my evidence. especially certificate of citizenship because that is the only proof. The GC is already given to USCIS during my first OATH.
3. Then the officers will fix it in the system based on my evidence.

But he told me that system shows that I am not a citizen and it is upon me to prove my case. Period.

So I am planning to go on OATH date and meet the officers and explain my case. I will not take OATH

So hopefully this will work.

I will keep you posted.

Trygc

It is just a mistake. I received a letter to appear in immigration court for removal proceedings when I already had Green Card!!! Just a mistake....but the lawyer cost me.:mad:

I had been saying all along in all my posts to go to oath date and get it corrected.
What surprises me is that IO told you that in their system you are not citizen.
That really scares me. How the heck did you get your passport if you are not even updated as a citizen in the USCIS database. Does it mean that passport agency does not even check USCIS database? It is really unbelievable. The fact that passport is issued just because someone submitted a naturalization certificate,which is very easy to fake, a passport gets issued reveals the flaws in the passport issuance process. So much for the Homeland Security.

If I were you I would call my congressman or senator and complain about all this. This is really the height of incompetency.

Also to the OP. Do not panic or worry. This seems a big deal right now but one comfort you have is that you at least received another Oath letter. So,they intend to give you citizenship. The IO that you talked with does not seem to be very competent either. I would recommend that you call again on Monday and talk to another IO. Don't tell them that you already called. You will be surprised how different answers you will get from different IOs. If you do call, ask them how the hell were you issued Passport if you are not a citizen and how did you get the previous oath letter and how were you issued Nat. certificate.

I have one question for you, Did you get your oath letter by mail? How long after interview did you receive it?

My concerns

1. The Org seems to have lost my paper trail after my interview. The interview happened in Nov and after 1 month I was scheduled for oath. After 14 days of my interview I received the letter in mail to appear for OATH. Curiously IO was silent about the whole thing. It appears that my case did not get updated after the interview. If I would have missed the OATH letter if Iwas travelling overseas by any chance my case could have been closed.

2. When we had GC I carried it as if my life is dependent on it whenever I travelled outside my city. Now since it is taken away, I am thinking it is wise to carry some sort of proof of ctiizenship with me always because I never know who will question my authenticity about immigration. I dont' look like an typical American in any respect so it is natural that if I am pulled over I have to prove it everytime. Passport is only considered to be a travel document and nothing more. What do you guys feel about it?

I have the same question as Jim and thought that passport agency and USCIS should coordinate together and validate the documents issued. The certificate has a reference to my alien number and should work out as a cross check

Thanks
Trygc

Passport is only considered to be a travel document and nothing more.
That's not true. A US passport is proof of citizenship and can be used for almost any purpose that requires proving citizenship, like employment or driver's licenses or voting.

If you haven't applied for a passport card, apply for one and use that to carry around on a daily basis, keeping the passport book locked up in a safe place.

And when you go to the 2nd oath, don't bring the passport (only bring a copy). If they try to take away any documents at the 2nd oath, you need to ensure you have other proof of citizenship that is out of their reach.

First of all you don't have to worry about being pulled over and asked for immigration status. This is not Soviet Union.So relax.

Secondly, you have a valid Naturalization Certificate. You can make a black&white copy of the certificate and keep it with you just in case.

Also, you don't have anything to worry about. You did not do anything wrong. If at all anyone is at fault,it is the USCIS.

As I said, call USCIS again on Monday and talk to another IO. Get to the bottom of the matter.
If you feel more comfortable, call an Immigration Attorney and let him deal with USCIS. It may cost you some money but it is worth it.

As I keep saying in all my posts, I still believe it is not a big deal. When you go to the oath letter, take a copy of your GC also.I hope you have copy of your GC.

I understand how you must be feeling but have faith in God and you will be alright
I am sure that this will all be resolved at the oath and you won't be given a new Nat Cert. All they have to do is update their records and you will be all set.
Good Luck my friend. Keep us posted.

Sometimes they do pull people over to check immigration status, especially if you live in a border state. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHTtal_EK0A (note that this incident was 40 miles from border)

Who was the guy in the clip? apart from a total ass that is. I live in a border state and have passed through these checks, normally they just waved you through if the ask questions I just show my GC (which you must carry accordind to law) takes a few seconds.
What's the problem?
The border needs to be controlled and this is one way to do it, if you found these checks in Florida or Kansas that would be a different thing but on the border FFS!

I live in a border state and have passed through these checks, normally they just waved you through if the ask questions I just show my GC (which you must carry accordind to law) takes a few seconds.
However, citizens are not required to carry any proof of citizenship. I wonder what would happen if you (truthfully) said you were a citizen, but because of your accent they don't believe you, and you don't have proof on you. If they would let you through anyway, it shows how useless the checkpoint is; an illegal alien would just claim to be a citizen and they'd let him/her through. And if they don't take your word for it, you face the possibility of being stuck if you don't have proof with you.
The border needs to be controlled and this is one way to do it, if you found these checks in Florida or Kansas that would be a different thing but on the border FFS!
I was just stating a fact, that sometimes people do get pulled over to check their immigration status.

And that incident was as much as 40 miles from the border, not along the border.

I expect that would explain the benefit of advising SS and DMV of your citizenxhip status, they can run a check in a couple of minutes and off you go.

Do you really think 40 miles is a long way over the border? If I was paying a coyote I wouldn't expect o get dumped 100yds into the US.