Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

notice of action received today it stated that my case was transferred to USCIS NB center for processing, and should expect to be notified for interview within 365 days of this notice.

At least your NOA says you will be notified within 365 days. Mine said 730 days!!! :eek:

Many thanks to fbanna79 and Bobsmyth for answering my question regarding photos for interview.

Like Bobsmyth, I wasn't asked to submit the photos I prepared.

I had my interview this morning. It was uneventful. After going through N400 questions, the IO asked me to write " I drink too much coffee" and 6 questions about US history and government and told me I passed.

I hope I won't have to wait for too long for the oath ceremony. It took me more than 940 days to have my interview. I was almost about to start to renew my greencard.

By the way, when are they going to take back my greencard? at the time to take oath?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at fbanna79's signature:

5 Interview Notice 5/5/08
6 Interview 6/19/08 Cancelled
7 Rescheduled for 08/22/08 Approved
8 In queue for oath 08/27/2008

Did you get approved the same day you had your interview? I only got a piece of paper with this part checked (among other things): Congratulations! Your application is recommended for approval.

Do I miss something here?

Many thanks to fbanna79 and Bobsmyth for answering my question regarding photos for interview.

Like Bobsmyth, I wasn't asked to submit the photos I prepared.

I had my interview this morning. It was uneventful. After going through N400 questions, the IO asked me to write " I drink too much coffee" and 6 questions about US history and government and told me I passed.

I hope I won't have to wait for too long for the oath ceremony. It took me more than 940 days to have my interview. I was almost about to start to renew my greencard.

By the way, when are they going to take back my greencard? at the time to take oath?

Congratulations rtp-waiting..you finally had interview after long wait.
Your GC will be surrendered at oath.

Did you get approved the same day you had your interview? I only got a piece of paper with this part checked (among other things): Congratulations! Your application is recommended for approval.

The N-652 you received after interview is your recommendation for approval. You will next receive oath letter in coming weeks.

No you did not. This is the typical procedure. Final approval comes from a supervisor. After several days, you will be approved and put in queue for oath. The oath letter is the final approval aknowledgement.

I called last week and was told that I was ultimatly approved and a request for oath was completed on 08/27. I am just waiting for oath date to become available, which, I wish, will be be before Oct 3.

RTP-Waiting and all others,

Can you please create a signature with your timeline? It is hard to remember all the nicknames and who is at what step.

If you need help creating a signature, please let me know.

RTP-Waiting and all others,

Can you please create a signature with your timeline? It is hard to remember all the nicknames and who is at what step.

If you need help creating a signature, please let me know.

Maybe it takes a while for the signature to show up? I saved the signature but it is not shown on my posts yet.

Basically it is like this:

1, PD: Jan.23, 2006
2, 1st FP: March 22, 2006
3, Ist IL: April 6, 2006
4, 1st ID (scheduled) May 22, 2006
5, Deschedule Letter May 4, 2006
6, 2nd FP: May 29, 2008
7, ID: Sep, 8, 2008 (passed)

I was scheduled for the interview shortly after I submitted the application. At the time, It was not required to have name check cleared before you could have interview. Many were waiting more than 6 months after interview pending name check and they started to sue USCIS. So USCIS changed the practice and you must have name check cleared before you could have interview. That is why they descheduled my interview and I waited for more than 2 years after that first scheduled interview for today's interview. I called a few times and went for Infopass a few times (most in Charlotte) but I am afraid they didn't make any difference.

The N-652 you received after interview is your recommendation for approval. You will next receive oath letter in coming weeks.

Thank you very much for clearing up but nowhere in that piece of paper I got from IO could I find N-652.

I guess between now and the time I get oath letter, I won't see anything that says I get approved.

Thank you very much for clearing up but nowhere in that piece of paper I got from IO could I find N-652.

I guess between now and the time I get oath letter, I won't see anything that says I get approved.

Does the paper you received have your "A" number and the IO's name on it as well?

Yes, that was the longest wait for me, it seemed like forever. The wait for the interview was physically longer, of course, but waiting for that oath letter was torture! To all still waiting, I hope you get scheduled soon and that you can join in the electoral process this year. The voter registration people were at my ceremony, so registering couldn't have been any easier. I just couldn't check the box against "US Citizen" until my oath was completed!

I see, Bob. without you telling me this, I would not have known that.

But I was the first person to be interviewed for the day. He didn't have the right form to begin with I guess.

On the top right corner of the page, it is U.S. Dept of Homeland Security and its Durham DO address. Below that, is USCIS's full name and its logo.

Below that, It's A# and three letter initials.

The first line is: On 9/8/2008 you were interviewed by USCIS offier xxxxx (the date and the name are in bold)

If it doesn't seem right, let me know please. Bob.

Then at what point, I will get the naturalization cert. you guys talked about?

I see, Bob. without you telling me this, I would not have known that.

But I was the first person to be interviewed for the day. He didn't have the right form to begin with I guess.

On the top right corner of the page, it is U.S. Dept of Homeland Security and its Durham DO address. Below that, is USCIS's full name and its logo.

Below that, It's A# and three letter initials.

The first line is: On 9/8/2008 you were interviewed by USCIS offier xxxxx (the date and the name are in bold)

If it doesn't seem right, let me know please. Bob.

Then at what point, I will get the naturalization cert. you guys talked about?

You'll get the naturalization certificate after your oath ceremony. It starts with you turning in your oath invitation and green card, checking the cert's details (name, gender, DOB, height, marital status, country of birth), then signing it. At my ceremony last Friday, Judge Britt said that he usually hands each cert out personally, but we had 919 new citizens, so there was no way that was going to happen!

I am a little bit jalous seeing that people who are interviewed in Charlotte get their oath notice the same day while those in Raleigh have to wait for a long time.

Still no oath letter for me. I have the feeling that I will not be included in the Sept 29 oath ceremony. If they sarted sending out notices last week and have not sent me one until now, it means that I have little chance. The problem is how many people can be naturalized at once in the Durham Field Office? I don't think they can accomodate more than 200 people.

Hopefully, the last oath ceremony before elections will be at a larger place like the convention center.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a little bit jalous seeing that people who are interviewed in Charlotte get their oath notice the same day while those in Raleigh have to wait for a long time.

Still no oath letter for me. I have the feeling that I will not be included in the Sept 29 oath ceremony. If they sarted sending out notices last week and have not sent me one until now, it means that I have little chance. The problem is how many people can be naturalized at once in the Durham Field Office? I don't think they can accomodate more than 200 people.

Hopefully, the last oath ceremony before elections will be at a larger place like the convention center.

Don't fret (yet). I got my oath letter exactly two weeks before the oath date. For 9/29, that means the end of this week. At the big ceremony on Friday, Judge Britt said that the normal venue is the Federal Courthouse with a group of 50 or so. I agree that the room in the Durham office probably can't fit more than 150-200 people, tops. What about the fairgrounds - or let's go for it - the RBC Center - and catch up with all the backlogged oaths in one big party?!

Don't fret (yet). I got my oath letter exactly two weeks before the oath date. For 9/29, that means the end of this week. At the big ceremony on Friday, Judge Britt said that the normal venue is the Federal Courthouse with a group of 50 or so. I agree that the room in the Durham office probably can't fit more than 150-200 people, tops. What about the fairgrounds - or let's go for it - the RBC Center - and catch up with all the backlogged oaths in one big party?!

I really don't know why they don't wantr to do it a very large venue. The RBC Center will be the appropriate place. If I was them, I would hold an oath ceremony on 10/09/2008 at the RBC Center that would include everyone that has been approved on 10/08 or before, so everyone can vote.

fbanna79, We have almost the ame timeline, however I still have not received my IL. I called USCIS today and I was told that I should call back if I don't receive anything within the next 90 days. I was told the same thing 90 days ago, anyway.