Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

update, i received FP letter yesterday
FP Notice Received: 09/16/2008
FP Appointment: 09/30/2008 1:00 PM

Hey everyone,

I really want to thank all of you for your regular posts and updates. I discovered the forum relatively late (last couple of months), but it's helped me tremendously to get mentally ready for my interview in 9 hours!

I'll make sure to ask the same questions you all have about oath ceremony frequency, dates, sizes, etc. to see if there have been any updates recently. I have little/no hope for an oath ceremony in time for me to register to vote, but I'm still hoping for a speedy turn around from interview to oath...I'm worried about the slowing down around the holidays! anyways, I'm very excited about tomorrow!

P.S. I went through a situation where I studied abroad for 6 months and 10 days, and I think that's one of the reasons my case has been going on for a while since I've had to send a lot of stuff about that situation. If anyone is in a similar situation and wants to know how I dealt with it in terms of the N400, let me know (not that what I did necessarily guarantees success...I suppose I'll find out tomorrow!).

FP notice 2/4/08
FP Date 2/29/08
IL: 7/01/08
ID: 9/18/08

Hey everyone,

I really want to thank all of you for your regular posts and updates. I discovered the forum relatively late (last couple of months), but it's helped me tremendously to get mentally ready for my interview in 9 hours!

I'll make sure to ask the same questions you all have about oath ceremony frequency, dates, sizes, etc. to see if there have been any updates recently. I have little/no hope for an oath ceremony in time for me to register to vote, but I'm still hoping for a speedy turn around from interview to oath...I'm worried about the slowing down around the holidays! anyways, I'm very excited about tomorrow!

P.S. I went through a situation where I studied abroad for 6 months and 10 days, and I think that's one of the reasons my case has been going on for a while since I've had to send a lot of stuff about that situation. If anyone is in a similar situation and wants to know how I dealt with it in terms of the N400, let me know (not that what I did necessarily guarantees success...I suppose I'll find out tomorrow!).

FP notice 2/4/08
FP Date 2/29/08

Good luck at interview rjwang! You never know, the IO may just offer you to come to an oath in early October.
As for concerns about studying abroad, others have done the same (completed studies abroad while maintaining US residency ties) with no problems at interview.

Still no news from rjwang ? I hope everything went well. If he/she sees this, please post we are anxiously waiting for the outcome of your interview.

Bob, any news about your oath date ? I hve not received my letter, but I guess I will receive it between tomorrow and next tuesday.

I just called USCIS..I'm still in oath queue..I predict by next week I should know my oath date (I'm predicting my oath to be somewhere between October 3-10)

Hi fbanna79 and Bobsmyth, just wondering if your LUD on the USCIS online cases status site changed after you got your FP done? I've been checking mine since yesterday and it hasn't changed at all :(

I just called USCIS..I'm still in oath queue..I predict by next week I should know my oath date (I'm predicting my oath to be somewhere between October 3-10)

They have probably scheduled many oaths for October, since they cannot accomodate a big crowd at the Durham Field Office.

Hi fbanna79 and Bobsmyth, just wondering if your LUD on the USCIS online cases status site changed after you got your FP done? I've been checking mine since yesterday and it hasn't changed at all :(

Don't kill yourself for that. The online status for N-400 will not change even after your interview and oath. They don't update their system for N-400 applications for an undisclosed reason (may be staffing).

Up until now, my status is still "On April 1, 2008 we received your N-400 .... We will contact you when a decision is made on your case ....." with last update on April 9, 2008. Although, i already had interview and oath is already scheduled for Oct 1.

the only way you can get information on your case is by either calling USCIS and talking to an IO or making an Infopass appointment.

I wouldn't worry about my case now since you just had your fingerprint done. May be after 3 months, you can start inquiring.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have probably scheduled many oaths for October, since they cannot accomodate a big crowd at the Durham Field Office.

Maybe they will hold one a the Durham's Bull's stadium between the 7th inning stretch during an upcoming game. :D

My reference number never showed up online from day one and still doesn't. LUDs have been my own based on taking to IO via phone. You'll have more luck talking to an IO than to rely on the online case status.

hey everyone!

my interview went well and I was approved, so yay! I won't waste anyone's time with the description of the interview, since others have described it before me. Suffice to say that my interview started a nerve-wracking hour after my scheduled time, and that the Durham DO building is really nice!

here's new information that I haven't seen posted on this site yet: I asked my interviewer about when I could expect an Oath Letter, and she told me this - she thinks that there's a 90% chance that I'll get my oath before Oct 10th b/c they have made it a goal to naturalize as many people as possible before the last date to register to vote. According to her, they scheduled 5 back-to-back oath ceremonies for Sept. 29th - Oct. 3rd at the Durham DO for 200 people each time since their goal is to naturalize 1000 people before Oct. 10th.

I asked if she knew specifically that there was still room in these oath ceremonies for people like me, who were just getting interviewed, when lots of people who interviewed before me (I was thinking of you all, friends) had not gotten their oath letters yet. She said that as far as she knew, there were still some spots leftover.

She also said that even if I don't get into this week of oath ceremonies, I could expect an end of Oct. oath. What a helpful lady! I hope she knows what she's talking about - I think she did b/c of her no-nonsense, confident delivery of the information. I wanted to pass on the good news, but also mention that this should be taken as cautious hope!
FP notice 2/4/08
FP Date 2/29/08

Congratulations rjwang !! At least that confirms that they have several oath's planned . Was your interviewer officer Wilcox by chance?

my interviewer's first name was Lisa, and the last name was something that I have a hard time remembering, so no.

and what I forgot to make explicit in my last post - if there's a 90% chance that I'll get an oath interview before the last day we can register to vote (Oct. 10th), then everyone who's had an interview before me at the Durham DO will probably get scheduled for this round of oath ceremonies too!

my interviewer's first name was Lisa, and the last name was something that I have a hard time remembering, so no.

and what I forgot to make explicit in my last post - if there's a 90% chance that I'll get an oath interview before the last day we can register to vote (Oct. 10th), then everyone who's had an interview before me at the Durham DO will probably get scheduled for this round of oath ceremonies too!

This is what I thought. They have probably receive instructions to proceed this way.

I am wondering if the oath ceremonies scheduled wil be judicial or administrative oaths. Bob, rjwang are you changing your names ? I am not. Changing name can result in longer wait since this has to be done by a judge.

Actually IO's name should be on N-652 interview results form you received.

I wonder if week of Sept 29-Oct 3 is the only week they oaths scheduled until the end of October.

I am wondering if the oath ceremonies scheduled wil be judicial or administrative oaths. Bob, rjwang are you changing your names ? I am not. Changing name can result in longer wait since this has to be done by a judge.

I'm not changing my last name as it is unique (only one in entire US), although most Americans never know how to pronounce it.:rolleyes: