Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

hello all

i found this board very helpful

my application is currently pending in charlotte since november 2007 and i moved to durham last 2 weeks for new job and i want to change the address can i change it through the website or just leave my old address as it. if i change it will this slow my application or has no effect .

hello all

i found this board very helpful

my application is currently pending in charlotte since november 2007 and i moved to durham last 2 weeks for new job and i want to change the address can i change it through the website or just leave my old address as it. if i change it will this slow my application or has no effect .

You can change in online at :

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=coa

Hopefully they will move your interview to the Durham DO.

does the 3 months policy will apply here or it will apply only if i moved out of state

does the 3 months policy will apply here or it will apply only if i moved out of state

The 3 month district residency requirement applies when you initially apply. If you move to a different district area during the process, you can expect an additional 3 month wait, depending on DOs.

well, I'm Washburn1 from NC, but my account has somehow been DEactivated :) and now I'm Washburn 27

so today I get this IL dated 8/4/08 and another letter dated 8/5/08 (yep, ONE day afterwards) saying it has been "descheduled":
Here's the letter's wording:
This is to advise you to, due to unforeseen circumstances, we have had to cancel the previously scheduled interview on [date with lots of white space] at [time with some white space] for the above applicant. We regret any inconvenience this may cause.

We will advise you of any further action taken on this case, including any rescheduled interview information, under separate notice

I applied to TSC in March, had FP in Charlotte on 4/11, and this Interview was scheduled (and DEscheduled) at Durham DO.

Thank god I opened the "bad" deschedule letter FIRST :eek:
would've been a lot worse the other way around.

so, is this a bad sign, or a neutral/good sign?
Does that mean that at least my name check is ok?
should I call USCIS and ask for an IO?
or should I schedule an Infopass?

btw, USCIS online status shows no change; same as when I applied. but this hardly means anything, I think, because I've read here that some people's status never changed OR vanished even after they became citizens...

In any case I'm gonna wait a few months and see if I get another letter...from what I've read here, it can be as simple as staffing problems..(?)

DID ANYONE ELSE FROM NC / DURHAM EXPERIENCE THE SAME THING?
IS IT WEIRD THAT THE LETTERS ARE ONLY ONE DAY APART?
Thanks a lot, guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the same set of letters from Durham. IL for Nov 3 and then the cancellation the day after. Must be some glitch in the computer system that sent out the interview letters or there might have been some issue on Nov 3rd - folks going on vacation or maybe something related to the election.

PD May 28, 2008
FP June 2008
IL for Nov 3
IL Descheduled

Pretty weird that the two of you show up suddenly in this forum with the same concern. Is it some kind of scam ? This sounds weird to me.

fbanna:
Please read the very first sentence of my original post again.
I'm NOT NEW; I have been in this forum as "Washburn1" for a pretty long time, and was inactive for a few months, and when I came back, my account was somehow messed up, and resetting password didn't work, so I registered again, under Washburn27.

Thanks.

no problem, fbanna. Thanks...good to be here, too, after a while.
sorry if my reaction was over the top...

as I see, you also went through a DEschedule, looks like; glad you got the REschedule though...
hopefully, all will be well with mine, too...
did you ever leran WHY your IV was canceled?

I had promised myself to just wait and ignore everything a few months ago, and just wait and live my normal life...and now this.
Hopefully, I will be able to remain calm and "ignore" everything again..

LOL fbanna. Actually, I am not concerned about it yet. No idea what caused it but most likely its just some sort of software/scheduling glitch which will correct itself in a few weeks. I am logistics software/business process consultant and I see such scenarios happen at work far more often than anybody thinks.

Washburn, what date was your interview scheduled for?

as I see, you also went through a DEschedule, looks like; glad you got the REschedule though...

It wasn't really canceled..he went to interview only to be told his application came in too early and that he would need to come back for another interview at the end of August.

I had promised myself to just wait and ignore everything a few months ago, and just wait and live my normal life...and now this.
Hopefully, I will be able to remain calm and "ignore" everything again..

My interview was cancelled on the day of my interview by the Immigration officer because it was 8 days prior to my 5-year anniversary date. I applied 3 months before reaching 5 years and I happen to be scheduled for interview within 80 days. So, they had to reschedule me for the end of August.

Hey Washburn27 ,

I got the same schedule, deschedule notice :confused: . My interview was scheduled for Oct 20th at the Durham office (As per the mail I got on Friday) and then on Saturday I got the cancellation mail saying "Due to unforseen ***".

I was planning to just goto the Durham office and check whats going on :) , since my office is close-by.

Thanks
Rajesh

well; sorry it happened to you, too, Rajesh, but glad to know I'm not the only one also :)

Hey, if you do go there, let me know what you learned; I'm interested in verifying if we can be relieved that our name checks are perhaps done, if the theory is correct that "ILs are not sent without name check being complete"...etc.
especially due to the fact that those letters were sent from TSC, and not the DO office.
I'm curious to see what the IO's have to say about that, so please update about what happens when you ask them...

I'm planning to call the 1-800 and get an IO on the phone..perhaps.
I also want to do an infopass, but want to wait 4-6 weeks before doing so, because some people who got those annoying "descheduling" letters got a 2nd IL after 4-6 weeks...

what I find especially weird about yours and mine (and someone else's too, who posted here 2 days ago) is that our letters' dates are just one day apart. Others had a 2-3 week time period between the IL and the descheduling letters...may not mean anything but still weird.

(I also wonder what would happen if someone just went to the DO, and pretended that they never got the 2nd letter ..hehe ...probably not a good idea.)

(I also wonder what would happen if someone just went to the DO, and pretended that they never got the 2nd letter ..hehe ...probably not a good idea.)

It's been done before. A couple of months ago, there was a post by an applicant who got a descheduling letter, but went to the interview anyway. Turns out that his interview was descheduled because his A-file hasn't been transferred to the DO from the service center. Since the applicant brought a new N-400 with him, he was interviewed anyway, but got an N-652 with "decision cannot be made at this time" and was told that he will be notified by mail when his A-file arrives and the application is approved. Another good example is something that happened with Nimche. He got descheduled and went to the DO anyway. Turns out that the DO was closed for new IO training, so they weren't interviewing anyone.

Seems like the worst thing that can happen is getting turned away.