Pushing of I 485 filling as an interim relief or not

was not against 485

khodalmd said:
Thanks qplearn

sfmars: I was not against the filing-of-485-without-PD provision. Far from it, I actually suggested it LONG before anyone even talked about it on IV. I was against that as a single item because lawmakers are not going to take up things again and again for us. I kept saying: "please, PLEASE, consider adding a provision like 3-4 yr EAD to the 485 provision," but their core member logiclife said something like this: "we have made this decision whether you like it or not." He also said to nycgal just because you have made monetary contributions, you cannot discuss what we should do. He said to me something like this: "you are free to leave, and leave without making any noise." Then they had a member --- jankap --- who basically stood up for the core whatever the core said. That guy said something against my stand, and then pappu, who was usually very nice, supported him. For me that was it.

Also, the founder himself came on and said nasty things to nycgal, e.g., stop your back-seat driving, and I have heard later on said similar stuff to jimi_hendrix. Both of them and ppl like you (khodalmd) and alterego had made the type of contributions that they needed. You don't talk like that to ppl who were actually contributing. I never use abusive language, but if the leaders of a group start using abusive language, would anyone, as someone working so hard, stay on? I could not and left. I will not be surprised if Anurakt and alterego, because they too have independent minds, also leave in the near future.

Using abusive language does not help the image of skilled immigrants. Being able to speak English well is really not a skill in great demand in the US --- contrary to what one of their moderators felt! In fact, people who support legal immigration will be ashamed of sharing the same dias with a person if they found out how arrogant he or she is --- regardless of the quality of English he/she speaks. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that some of the core members have hijacked the agenda to getting 485 alone.

But I have moved on, and if you have any ideas such as writing letters to senators etc, I will be very happy to get back into action. All this time, I was reeling from the shock produced by the kind of language logiclife used, but I am here and here to win (as Hillary says)! :)

I wish the best to everyone including those who want to file for 485 without PD!

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree,the point of allowing everyone to file 485 without PD current is reckless,short sightedness and more over will make the already screwed up immi process come to a screetching halt.

It is also interesting to see so many of ex-IV members narrate their experiences.

What do you guys think about taking up and passage of the SKIL bill ?

SKIL Bill

JMJ said:
What do you guys think about taking up and passage of the SKIL bill ?
Actually, the SKIL bill is something that will help almost everyone of us. Is there something we can do on this forum? Maybe contact the senator who can introduce it. Senator Cornyn did it last time, but I am not sure if a republican can introduce it now.

If anyone has ideas / info on this, can we please brainstorm?

sfmars said:
Even if it is true, what is wrong with that ?

What is wrong you ask??? You have the temerity to ask that question? Well, for one, that person has come to the US many years after me for instance; I have lived here for 12 yrs now!!!!

It is for this reason that I opposed 485-without-PD.

And if you don't think this is wrong, then why are you concerned about 245i?

UN: I have a question for you.

How difficult is it going to be "legally" to change the current system and allow for 485 filing when PD is not current? In other words, what will they have to change in the law? Is this something doable for USCIS?

thanks

unitednations said:
The reason I say that filing 485 without priority date being current isn't a great idean is that a lot of people would take advantage (ie., b1/b2 immediately to 485 and into the visa que that currently wouldn't be able to).
Thank you UN for your thoughtful answers. I really appreciate them. Hopefully, this will open some eyes. 485 without controls is going to be a disaster.

As you suggest, if it is implemented with the condition that you can apply only after 3 yrs of staying on a legitimate visa, it will be a win/win for all. Nobody will have to go home, and the EAD line will not be clogged. I hope USCIS imposes some condition of this kind.

The Feb. 15 date is approaching and I believe, House is going to start discussion about Supplimental bill very soon. Any one see any movement about EB provisions attachment?

Numbersusa is very calm so I guess, nothing is going to be attached.

Please post the information, if you have any.

Let's not hold our breathe on this one. If something does go through, it might be a 'sneeked in' rather than anything else....

khodalmd said:
The Feb. 15 date is approaching and I believe, House is going to start discussion about Supplimental bill very soon. Any one see any movement about EB provisions attachment?

khodalmd said:

If the 485 provision is attached, it will be done at the last minute. Numbersusa does not care for it and is hence calm. Just wait to see how active they will get when SKIL will be in the air.

Any ideas on what Oh is talking about senate having passed immigration reform bill?
I do not see any post about that one on this forum.

It seems to me a right news. Last night I checked thomas.loc.gov and found that amendment SA 187, which has legal immigration provisions, attached to HR 2. However, I would like to hold my enthusiasm until confirm news.

Good luck to every one

tusharvk said:
Any ideas on what Oh is talking about senate having passed immigration reform bill?
I do not see any post about that one on this forum.

Senate Passed H.R. 2 Without Immigration Reform Bills

This is the update that i got from Oh law firm. Its too sad to see that this bill is not included .

Hope some bills in immigrants favor get passed in this session :)

current update is on
http://www.immigration-law.com/

vejella said:
This is the update that i got from Oh law firm. Its too sad to see that this bill is not included .

Hope some bills in immigrants favor get passed in this session :)

current update is on
Industries are fighting hard to get some provisions of SKIL into the bills debated in the house by Feb 15. Even if they just exempt spouses (forget MS or PhD degree holders --- although this will help in a VERY big way), the dates will start moving again.

qplearn,

I sent a private message. Please reply it.

KM

qplearn said:
Industries are fighting hard to get some provisions of SKIL into the bills debated in the house by Feb 15. Even if they just exempt spouses (forget MS or PhD degree holders --- although this will help in a VERY big way), the dates will start moving again.

Five business days are to go to pass Continuous Resolution bill (HJ Res. 20).

I hope, (and pray God) Senate will include recapture of 90K unused visa.

Are you suggesting there is something in the bill to help the immigration situation. Is this worth holding your breathe for?

khodalmd said:
Five business days are to go to pass Continuous Resolution bill (HJ Res. 20).

I hope, (and pray God) Senate will include recapture of 90K unused visa.

Right now anything giving extra recaptured EB visas, would be a heaven sent for EB 2/3 India. Stuck with no discernible forward movement and rumours of backward movement is a terrible thing. It is all a function of an inept and dysfunctional processing system, that draws people in with one expectation and delivers an entirely different result.

I remember a time over 20 yrs ago in India when you would have to make a reservation to get a motorvehicle or car. Your wait time could be 3 yrs or 10 yrs, there was no way to tell. If you paid in USD you would get it faster. This is the kind of wonderful system that US EB immigration has evolved into. Quite pathetic for such an otherwise progressive country.

There are possibilities that Senate might be attached some provisions to Continuous Resolution bill (HJ Res. 20), which must pass before Feb 15, 2007. House has passed this bill but nothing was attached.

Per my assessment (please don't ask why) , one or more provisions may be attached:

1. Recapture of 90K unused visas for Schedule A (higher chances)
2. Increase of H1B (Industry is pushing it but more promising thing is that they are also pushing EB provisions. They don't have single agenda!)
3. I 485 filing without priority date current (IV is pushing this single agenda as an interim push)
4. Recapture of 90K unused visas for all EB categories

Again anti-immigrant lobby is more powerful and nothing can be predicted with high confidence level.

PS: nyc8300, please don't comment on my English and whether I am native English or not.

nyc8300 said:
Are you suggesting there is something in the bill to help the immigration situation. Is this worth holding your breathe for?

Immigration-law.com reported that chances of EB provisions are slim. But you never know, anything can happen last moment !!

02/08/2007: Chances for Immigration-Related Attachments to the FY 2007 Appropriation Legislation Slim

* The House passed on January 29, 2007 the Appropriation Bill and forwarded it to the Senate. Unless another Continuing Resolution is agreeed upon between the House and the Senate, the Senate intends to pass the bill before February 15, 2007, the expiration date of the current Continuing Resolution that has been funding federal government pending the enactment of the FY 2007 Appropriation legislation.
* The Appropriation Bill, H.J. Res 20, does not have any immigration-related attachments. Besides, the Senate Majority Reids announced that he would oppose any amendments or earmarks introducted in the Senate and for that purpose, he was willing to introduce Motion for Cloture quickly. The Congress wants to enact FY 2007 Appropriation legislation before it is tangled with the President proposed FY 2008 Budget legislation.
* It is thus likely that the immigration legislation may have to go through the Comprehensive Immigration Reform legislation process which may take place next month, March 2007.

khodalmd said:
* It is thus likely that the immigration legislation may have to go through the Comprehensive Immigration Reform legislation process which may take place next month, March 2007.
how reliable is this? March 2007?? any news on which senator will be introducing the CIR bill, if at all?

CIR is already introduced in the Senate with S 9 bill number but still text of the bill is not finalized.

Couple of things are prove hurdle to finalize the draft of CIR.

First is path of citizenship to 12 millions illegals. Lawmakers are divided on this issue.

Second, USCIS at its current capability, not able to handle all of sudden millions of cases. They requested Congress to provide fund to upgrade its system. System up gradation will take few years and big budget.

gcwhenever said:
how reliable is this? March 2007?? any news on which senator will be introducing the CIR bill, if at all?