proof that I did not go to COP?

phil-NYC

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

I went to my citizenship interview last week. I did not travel to my country of origin, but I did go a number of times to a neighboring country for both business and vacation. I received a notice from the USCIS today. They basically say provide evidence that you did not visit your country of claimed persecution and if you did go there, explain the reason thereof.

What kind of evidence can I show?

This is very odd. Talk to lawyer if you can. Another thing you can do is, send them copies or originals of all your travel documents and all of your national passports, new, old, valid, expired. Attach a written letter as an affidavit and make a swearing statement and explain your evidence. Also, I know this is a tad farfetched, if you have documents of your trips, including travel itinerary, airline tickets, boarding passes, etc, include them in your response too.

This is very strange. What happened to the whole "everyone is innocent until proven otherwise" motto??? What are they basing their claims on? I think the officer having jurisdiction on your case is just being irritating!

This should not be complicated.Show them your national passport if you have it If not I am assumming you have traveled by RP, If so show IO and let him to check it out and if you have returned them on renewal then they should have them. unless you really went back and don't want to disclose it, If so I would not respond to their request and let them to deny it because it might get more complicated and have risk of revoking your residency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this for real???
What did the IO ask/tell you during the interview? At the end of interview?
But either way, like Pete said, it shouldn't be complicated. Just send them everything you have.
I just couldn't believe that they should ask you AFTER the interview. It doesn't sound like it makes a lot of sense.

Good luck.

Another thing came to mind: Didn't you apply based on marriage to USC? If that was the case, why even bother about your former asylee status??

Is this for real???
What did the IO ask/tell you during the interview? At the end of interview?
But either way, like Pete said, it shouldn't be complicated. Just send them everything you have.
I just couldn't believe that they should ask you AFTER the interview. It doesn't sound like it makes a lot of sense.

Good luck.

Why the heck would I make up the story? I do not have time to fabricate stuffs.

At the end of the interview the officer said that everything looked fine to him but because it was an asylum case (and he was a relatively junior officer) he had to get a supervisor to OK his decision.

I can show the RTDs with all the immigration stamps? But what evidence can I send? How long do international hotels keep their guest records?

This should not be complicated.Show them your national passport if you have it If not I am assumming you have traveled by RP, If so show IO and let him to check it out and if you have returned them on renewal then they should have them. unless you really went back and don't want to disclose it, If so I would not respond to their request and let them to deny it because it might get more complicated and have risk of revoking your residency.

I did not go to COP. I visited a next door country every two or three months over the past few years. I was helping my company open a branch office there.

Phil-NYC,
If you really did travel to your COP, plz make your case easy and tell the officer you were visiting with a parent who was sick as everyone in this board has been saying. Why would the IO suspect that you went to your COP? The government may have info about your travel history that you cannot imagine. In case it is just bcause of the fact that you stayed to the neighboring countries, then send every proof to establish your case. Good Luck

I have had more than five year of LPR history. So I applied under the five year option.

Oh, does it mean that you can't apply under marriage-based citizenship? I'm just trying to understand your case.
If the IO makes it complicated, why don't you just wait and re apply later based on marriage to USC?

How many times approximately you went to the neighbouring country?
What are relationships of your COP with the neighbouring country?
Is there a free visa program between them?

also if you visited your COP and you were inspected you're better being honest about it cause US can send a fax in a matter of minutes your your countries cnsulate nd with a click of computer they can find out if you entered your country in any POE even if its not an airport.

Again I am not doubting your honesty for a second but all these things might raise a lot of questions to the IO specially is he or she is a rooky.

"every two or three months." That is a lot. To be perfectly honest, if I were the USCIS examiner I would be suspicious too.

Now what kind of company do/did you work for? If it is a real multinational company (as opposed to a check the box company that exists only on paper), get a senior executive of the company sign a letter for you explaining that you were there for business. I think that is the best proof for you if that is available.

It is easier to keep records of all business related travels because, normally, you have to file expense report. They included hotel receipts that reported daily charges in detail such as room service, eat-in and phone calls, etc. I also made copy of every RTD/RP travel document before I surrended to USCIS.

it is not too hard, do this, mail or show them copies of all the pages on your PASSPORT, RTD or RP which has the visas of the countries you visited.
THAN THEY WILL SEE YOU DID NOT VISITCOP
also in the letter , say everything you mentioned is true to the bets of your knowledge and swear it.

I think case closed than.

good luck. they can't give you hard time unless they have proof you visited COP.

Oh, does it mean that you can't apply under marriage-based citizenship? I'm just trying to understand your case.
If the IO makes it complicated, why don't you just wait and re apply later based on marriage to USC?

It doesnt matter how he applies. How he got his gc is always looked at, no matter which way you for USC. Marriage-based citizenship only allows you to apply it after 3 years...Since he got his GC through asylum, that will always be looked at.

Every few months for several years?! One should have a solid reason to go somewhere that often. If it was for business, I think IO would perfectly accept it. This country has a great respect to working people. If you bring a letter from your company, I am sure, you will be OK.

Care to name the two countires invloved and also how porous the border is between the two? I am trying to think like a suspicious officer.

I did not travel to my country of origin, but I did go a number of times to a neighboring country for both business and vacation.

guys but this is so simple for them if they dont believe why dont they just request the info from his consulate when and if he enbtered the COP cause that info is in the COP's border patrol databases if he was inspected.

How can he prove he didnt go in COP, all he has is his honest word.

guys but this is so simple for them if they dont believe why dont they just request the info from his consulate when and if he enbtered the COP cause that info is in the COP's border patrol databases if he was inspected.

How can he prove he didnt go in COP, all he has is his honest word.

He is under oath so this would be enough to convict him later on if he is found of fraud. That is why they can request documents and trust the authenticity of evidence.

They probably already have evidence that you traveled to COP. They are not stupid anymore, too much rumors that people travel to neighboring countries and then use that means to go to COP.