Proof of Citation payment

thewebman2002

Registered Users (C)
All,

I have a copy of the court hearing that the ticket was reduced from $100 to $75. Is that enough? or do I need to get some other proof? This was 4 years back [in MA] and I now live in NY. I have no idea how I paid [check/cc] and who I paid... So, any advise on how to proceed - I received the standard Yellow Letter ....

Thanks,

Mike

No proof of payment needed for any citation below $500. If asked, just say it was a speeding ticket (or traffic violation) with a fine of $xx (assuming it's under $500).

Good luck.

You don't need documentation for such a minor traffic ticket. Don't worry about it.

Well that's not 100% true. During my interview, I was asked to show a proof of payment of a traffic ticket I got 4 years ago. I didn't have that on me so "a decision couldn't be made" on my case until I have provided that proof to the IO. So I had to request a duplicate receipt from my local court showing the payment. It's been almost 3 weeks since my interview and I still don't know whether or not my case was approved. The IO told me to provide the requested documents and wait for the oath letter.

Well that's not 100% true.

Yes - you are right. I had a couple of speeding tickets - each less than $100 - but was asked to show the proof that I had paid those off. Yellow letter specifically requested that too. I think it is much random - my wife had one ticket but had not received YL - and was still asked to show the proof. Luckily she too had that with her.

Well that's not 100% true. During my interview, I was asked to show a proof of payment of a traffic ticket I got 4 years ago. I didn't have that on me so "a decision couldn't be made" on my case until I have provided that proof to the IO. So I had to request a duplicate receipt from my local court showing the payment. It's been almost 3 weeks since my interview and I still don't know whether or not my case was approved. The IO told me to provide the requested documents and wait for the oath letter.

The guide states you don't need to provide documentation for minor traffic citations under $500, however a few IOs in NJ and NY DOs are being hardballs and asking for proof of payment anyways (it also gives them a reason to delay your case).. There also have been reports of the same happening at other DOs, but overall there is a small chance of this happening.
Just another reason why not to disclose minor traffics unless asked at interview.

IO asked me for the court disposition papers for my last traffic violation, I had no court decision paper. The only thing I had was the receipt from the court that I paid a fine. IO made a copy of that receipt for records.

IO asked me for the court disposition papers for my last traffic violation, I had no court decision paper. The only thing I had was the receipt from the court that I paid a fine. IO made a copy of that receipt for records.

Was the IO satisfied with the receipt ? Or were you also asked to provide 'certified court disposition' later ?

I ask because the local court gave me a letter that indicates the disposition of the court, but it seems like a printout and is not certified. The court clerk said this is what they provide for immigration purposes.

Was the IO satisfied with the receipt ? Or were you also asked to provide 'certified court disposition' later ?

I ask because the local court gave me a letter that indicates the disposition of the court, but it seems like a printout and is not certified. The court clerk said this is what they provide for immigration purposes.

IO read the ticket (yellow duplicate) also which I stapled with the receipt,
stating that it was a speeding ticket (not DUI), so I guess that was enough for IO's satisfaction. They basically want to make sure it was not DUI or possession etc arrest. They are OK with simple traffic tickets.

I was also asked for proof of payment today (1 ticket from 2 yrs ago, the other one about 6 months old), I showed internet print outs from the court house showing my name, date of ticket, amount paid etc. That was enough.

Looks like more IOs are asking for proof of evidence. Sadly, someone who is denied for not providing the requested proof for a minor ticket would have to file an appeal to contest it,something that applicants are not willing or knowing how to do.

IOs go by the book sooo much, so if they see a yes box checked, then they ask you for proof of payment (like for any other citation).
My IO asked for my wife birth certificate even if she is a naturalized citizen. A total useless document for my naturalization purpose.
I'm glad I didn't disclose my tickets, and when he asked have you ever been arrested, detained or cited, I said no.

I wonder what would happen if an IO demands proof of payment that can no longer be obtained? Would that result in an automatic denial?

I wonder what would happen if an IO demands proof of payment that can no longer be obtained? Would that result in an automatic denial?

Knowing USCIS, they would need a letter form the court indicating that the document cannot be obtained.

While i was there waiting during and after the interview, i heard people say that traffic tickets below $500 they normally dont care. But again this was just in my DO...

But i guess, the may follow the same standard everywhere too !! This is just my 2 cents.

Thanks.,
sanjay

Knowing USCIS, they would need a letter form the court indicating that the document cannot be obtained.

That wouldn't surprise me. Again, best bet is not to disclose minor tickets, particularly those for which there is no proof. Of course, everyone's mileage may vary.

By the way, nyc_newbie received his OL for Dec. 4. Next step is to sue the USCIS to recoup legal fees.

Last edited by a moderator: