Priority date will be re-instituted starting Jan. 2005

Happyvoda

Registered Users (C)
When we're all talking about the processing date posted by NSC and when lots of us almost forgot the "Priority date" and some of us don't ever know this term...

So, when will the "6 month of I485 process" happen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Priority date

I was under the assumption that priority dates and receive dates are always the same.

When you check the website for USCIS, they listthe priority dates that they are currently working on for all applications

Priority dates

I checked with my attorney and he said that priority date is the date your labor cert was filed. In the past (when it's still INS), PD was based on your country, and EB category. Most countries (except India and China as they have huge backlog) are always current in their priority dates.

If the PD for your country and EB cat is AFTER your LC file date then you're cool because your application is being processed.

Hope this info helps you understand PD

the point is PD's can go back. They will decide this in JAN-2005. They can set the PD processing date to 01-JAN-03. It means
1. No new I-485 's will be accepted
2. If your PD is before 01-JAN-03 then ur case will be processed.
3. if your PD is after and u applied for I-485 , ur case wont be touched until you PD becomes current.

what is PD is explained clearly at
http://www.immihelp.com/gc/aos/pd.html

My question is if they retrogress the PD, what date it will be ?

jambalakadi said:
My question is if they retrogress the PD, what date it will be ?

My lawer said that all I485 cases filed before December 31st, 2002 would be safe. This could mean that USCIS could set the cut-off PD date at around middle of 2002 for all EB.

EB2 fine

Eb2 candidates will not have to worry for priority dates. For Eb2's, PD might get set later in fiscal 05 which could be any time after Jan 05.
Does anyone know what is the ratio of Eb2 to Eb3? 1:2 or 1:3.....
This will be helpful to know when PD will be set for Eb2's

HappyVoda,
Do you mean to say labor cases filed before December'31 2002? Because the priority is determined by the labor filing date? The I-485 could be filed in 2003 as well or for that matter in 2004 too.

Even if priority dates start retrogressing, how far back? Is it going to retrogress by 2-3 years? In my opinion, it will retrogress by 6 months to a year or at the worst 2 years which means back to Jan'03. Because this talk of retrogressing has been around for 6 months. But it is just a speculation or me I am just trying to comfort myself as my PD is 08/05/02 (485 ND is 04/01/03, EB2)

I wonder if the PD will be the same for all service centers, or will each service center post thier own priority dates. If its the same for all centers, then TSC cases will get processed first, and VSC cases will be last, since the longest waiters are in TSC.

What about the cases that were transferrred to local offices?

OK -- so I see my 485 receipt and the Priority Date column is blank ?!?!

WTF does that mean ??? Maybe my case is PD exempt :D :D ....

But seriously ... do others have a PD in their 485 receipt ??

Guys.. here is what I heard about Priority dates. Even if priority dates get effected for EB3 Applicants. There some possible options

Option 1
The quota which is left over by other countries would be adjusted for India and china born applicants

Option 2
The USCIS might ask to submit the I485 application regardless of the priority dates and does't not process them until the visa number is avaliable.
Meanwhile the applicant can get EAD and after 6 monts he can take advantage of AC21 rules.

Please.. This is not an accurate information I heard this in my friends circle

Hope something should work out in the above two options!!!!!!

curiousGeorge said:
The priority date on my reciept is blank, but it should be December 2000, which is when my labor cert started.
So basically there is no one place to go and find out the "exact" priority date ??

My case was labor substitution .... so I have no idea about the old labor ?!?!

You'll find your priority date on the receipt that your employer got when they submitted the labor application. Typically there is a line on that letter that states something like "..we received your application on xx/xx/xx and this is your priority date...." This date also gets recorded on your I140 approval and I485 receipt. However, ever since priority dates became current USCIS stopped indicating the actual priority date on I485 receipts.