Priority date will be re-instituted starting Jan. 2005

Happyvoda

based on your info if they set the cutoff date as 31-DEC-02
then how hong it will take to be current. How many years should others wait?

jambalakadi said:
based on your info if they set the cutoff date as 31-DEC-02
then how hong it will take to be current. How many years should others wait?

There's no more information available at this point. Anything can happen with USCIS.

It's recommended to file I485 immediately if you got your I140 or labor certification approved recently.

Whats the effect on Consular Processing filers ?

Any idea about how this would affect Consular Processing - 140 filers ?

This is from Attorney Murthy's website:
File the I-485/CP Case Early

The beneficiary of an I-140 or I-130 (with a current priority date), who has been delaying pursuit of the green card for any reason, is advised to reconsider filing before the priority dates start to retrogress. One with a pending I-140, particularly one in EB3 who did not file an I-485, may wish to file now rather than waiting for a potential retrogression. The potential retrogression will need to be considered when deciding whether to select processing a case as an Adjustment of Status (I-485), or through consular processing for an immigrant visa. With the I-485, one is able to obtain an employment authorization document (EAD) to work. With the Consular Processing option, one is generally able to obtain permanent residency faster but the applicant and the spouse will not be entitled to EADs.

appan

Mine was EB3 case
I140 got approved.My labour was filed in oct 2002 .But in my I40 notice the priority date is aug 2003.

could i know which is the priority date?
Oct 2002 or aug 2003?

Thanks

pd issue

unitednations said:
October 2002. However, uscis has processed it incorrectly. Get your lawyer to get uscis to correct it immediately as it could have implications for you when it comes to retrogression of dates.

HI united nations,
what is the PD date mentioned in your I140 approval?is it your Labour recepit date?

needGCby05 said:
Eb2 candidates will not have to worry for priority dates. For Eb2's, PD might get set later in fiscal 05 which could be any time after Jan 05.
Does anyone know what is the ratio of Eb2 to Eb3? 1:2 or 1:3.....
This will be helpful to know when PD will be set for Eb2's
Found this at http://www.immihelp.com/gc/employment/greencard.html
Each year, 140,000 applicants are awarded green cards on employment based immigrant visas. Each country is limited receive 7% of 140,000 green cards (which is 9,800) no matter how tiny Island it is how big or populous country it is (like India, China). They are further divided into five categories which are explained below. Some categories require labor certification from Department of Labor(DOL), while others don't.

First(EB1): Priority Workers: 28.6% of the worldwide employment-based preference level, plus any numbers not required for fourth and fifth preferences. So each country gets 9800 X 28.6% = 2802 + numbers not used in EB4 and EB5.

These include
persons of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics
outstanding professors or researchers
managers and executives subject to international transfer to the United States
Second(EB2): Members of the Professions Holding Advanced Degrees or Persons of Exceptional Ability: 28.6% of the worldwide employment-based preference level, plus any numbers not required by first preference. So each country gets 9800 X 28.6 % = 2802 + numbers not used in EB1.

These include
persons of exceptional ability in the sciences, arts or business
professionals with advanced degrees or equivalent
Third(EB3): Skilled Workers, Professionals, and Other Workers: 28.6% of the worldwide level, plus any numbers not required by first and second preferences, not more than 10,000 of which to "Other Workers." So each country gets 9800 X 28.6% = 2802 + numbers not used in EB2.

These include
professionals with bachelor's degrees (not qualifying for a higher preference category)
skilled workers (minimum two years training and experience)
unskilled workers
Fourth(EB4): Certain Special Immigrants: 7.1% of the worldwide level. So each country gets 9800 X 7.1% = 695.

These include
religious workers
employees and former employees of the U.S. Government abroad
Fifth(EB5): Employment Creation(Investor): 7.1% of the worldwide level, not less than 3,000 of which reserved for investors in a targeted rural or high-unemployment area, and 3,000 set aside for investors in regional centers by Sec. 610 of P.L. 102-395. So each country gets 9800 X 7.1% = 695.

Also here at http://www.immigrationportal.com/

http://www.immigrationportal.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=950598:
Immigration to the United States is limited in most immigration categories is limited by numerical ("quota") restrictions. Visa Bulletin is a monthly statement by the U.S. Department of State of visa numbers available in specific categories for all countries. In the visa bulletin, "C" means a category is current. A date against a category means only petitions with priority dates shown are being allocated visas.

Note: Immediate relatives (spouse/minor children/ parents - but not brothers and sisters) of U.S. citizens are exempt from any numerical restrictions). Accordingly, they do not have to wait for visa availability.

Explanation of Preference Categories for U.S. Immigration

Broadly speaking there are three classes under which a person may immigrate to the U.S.:

Family Based Immigration (sometimes referred to as "FS")
Employment Based Immigration (sometimes referred to as "EM")
Other (such as Diversity Visas or lottery system, sometimes referred to as "DV")

I. Family-Sponsored Preference Categories
Numbers of visa within this category are allocated as follows:

First preference (FS-1): Unmarried sons and daughters of United States citizens: 23,400 per fiscal year, plus any visas not needed for the fourth preference category.

Second preference (FS-2): Spouses, children, and unmarried sons and unmarried daughters of permanent resident aliens: 114,200 plus any number by which the worldwide level exceeds 226,000, plus any visas not used for the first preference. At least 77% of the second preference visas must be issued to spouses and children.

Third preference (FS-3): Married sons and married daughters of United States citizens: 234,000 visas plus any not used by the first and second preferences.

Fourth preference (FS-4): Brothers and sisters of United States citizens (citizens must be at least 21 years old): 65,000 visas plus any not used for the first, second or third preference.

II. Employment-Based Preference Categories

Numbers of visa within this category are allocated as follows:

Employment Based Category One (EB-1 or Priority Workers): Aliens with extraordinary ability, outstanding professors and researchers and certain multinational executives and managers: 40,000 visas a year plus any not used for categories (4) and (5) below.

Employment Based Category Two (EB-2 is for Advanced Degree Professionals): Aliens who are members of the professions holding advanced degrees or aliens of exceptional ability in the sciences, arts or business: 40,000 visas a year, plus any not used by Priority Workers
Employment Based Category Three (EB-3 is for Skilled Workers, Professionals and Other Workers): 40,000 visas a year, plus any not used for the first two classes. Only 10,000 of the visas, however, may go to ``Other Workers'' (i.e., unskilled workers).

Employment Based Category Four (EB-4 is for Certain Special Immigrants: 10,000 visas a year, with no more than 5,000 being allocated to religious workers.

Employment Based Category Five (EB-5 is for Alien investors or entrepreneurs): 10,000 visas a year, of which at least 3,000 go to alien entrepreneurs setting up businesses in a ``targeted employment area.''

III. Diversity Visas

The permanent diversity program established in the 1990 Act went into effect in fiscal year 1994, allocating 55,000 immigrant visas annually based upon a visa lottery. Persons from certain selected countries are eligible to participate in the lottery.

Explanation of Priority Dates

The priority date determines a person's place in the queue for a numerically limited immigrant visa. Generally, the priority date is the date the immigrant visa petition requesting preference classification is accepted for INS processing.

Priority Dates For Category Priority Date is
All Family Preference. The date the U.S. Government (INS) accepts the petition (Form I-130) as having been filed.
EB-3 and EB-2 (where a labor certification is required) The date of filing the labor certification with State Employment Service Agency
EB-1 and National Intetest Waivers (a subcategory of EB-2, where a labor certification is not required) The date the U.S. Government (INS) accepts the petition (Form I-140) as having been filed.

Prediction of Visa Avaialability
The Visa Bulletin issued by the U.S. Department of State provides availability of visas on a per country basis and within each preference category. The Visa Bulletin is issued monthly by the State Department, usually between the 8th and 15th day each month. It is very difficult to estimate the likely waiting time before an immigrant visa becomes available, but certain patterns MAY be discernible based on the past visa availability. A reveiw of the Visa Bulletin over a period of several months may help to approximate how long it may take for the applicant's priority date to be reached. In many categories, visa numbers tend to get clogged up towards the end of the U.S. government fiscal year (October 1 through September 30). Usually, the U.S. Department's projections, also stated in the Visa Bulletin can be a good guide.

The Mechanics of Visa Counting

Within the U.S. Department of State, Immigrant Visa Control and Reporting Division controls the allocation of visa numbers for preference category immigrant visa applicants. It compiles visa statistics and advises consular posts on the completion of their own visa statistical and workload reports. It projects visa availability and workload trends and publishes ``Visa Bulletin,'' which announces visa preference category priority dates and gives general information on changes in visa policy. It also publishes the "Annual Report of the Visa Office,"' which summarizes statistics on visa operations worldwide.

All consular offices and INS district offices submit monthly reports to the Immigrant Visa Control Division. In some instances, particular consulates may find that heavy workloads or other considerations may delay consideration of applications for immigrant visas, and in such cases the consulate may establish its own administrative waiting list.

Endnotes

Labor Certification

Certain employment-based categories require certification from the U.S. Department of Labor that there are no U.S. workers available to perform the work that is offered to the alien on a permanent basis. This certification is required for: (1) all EB-3 preference petitions; and (2) most EB-2 preference petitions, except where the EB-2 petition is filed as a "National Interest Waiver." The labor certification process can take a long time, sometimes more than two to three years, depending upon the U.S. Department of Labor Region and the state level processing times.

Appan:
Assuming your "No" is for is it original labor, which means yours is a labor substitute, then the PD on your 140 MIGHT be the I140 receipt date?
SOmeone had mentioned earlier that for substitute labor, I140 RD becomes the PD. Could you verify whether the PD you see on your I140 is when you applied for 140.

Hi

I filed my labour on 10 sept 2002.
and I140 on 21 aug 2003.
Pd mentioned is 20 Aug 2003. that is a mistake.
Mine is not labour subsituted

You are right for substitute labor, I140 RD becomes the PD.

Update from www.shusterman.com on 10/27 on this issue.

Check out www.shusterman.com for latest update on this issue. He got info from Washington, DC that EB3 category from India, Philippines, PRC is expected to retrogress back to 2002 :mad: EB1 and EB2 are expected to remain current :)

The question now is whether it is beginning of 2002 or end of 2002. It makes a big difference for those that filed in first 2 quarters of 2003. Their wait is going to increase considerably longer but that also could mean that NSC will stop working randomly on late 2003 (like Sep'03 that we have seen 5% approval) and 2004 cases and that could mean some relief for 2002 filers, deservingly though.

A Wonder.

If the cut-off PD date is set to be Dec 2002, it only tells us that whoever start LC after Dec 2002 can not file I140/485. However, for most of people here who filed LC before Dec 2002 or even earlier, this could be a good news.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Per the info you guys provided, can somebody give me some suggestions on my case?
Both my wife and I filed I140 and I485 in Dec 2002 and had FP2 done on Aug. 19,2004(I am primary applicant). We have been using H1B and never applied EAD. My wife applied her LC and got approved in this Sep. (EB3).

We are in dilemma status. Not sure if we need to file her I140 and I485. If we file her I140/485 now, it is very possible that our cases will be approved soon and waste of money. If she doesn't file, there is a possibility that our current I485s have some issues and got delayed or denied(I know unlikely, but...) but her LC is EB3 and will be back to 2002. If some unexpected things happen and whe wants to file again next year, maybe we have to wait a long time for catogary.

I appreciate your inputs!

quail said:
If the cut-off PD date is set to be Dec 2002, it only tells us that whoever start LC after Dec 2002 can not file I140/485. However, for most of people here who filed LC before Dec 2002 or even earlier, this could be a good news.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
You are correct, but there are plenty of folks out here that can be effected if it retrogresses to Jan 2002. It all depends on how long it takes to catch up, for example in my case from 01/2002 to 08/2002 - 8 months, 18 months or 28 months. Mine was just an example, I am EB2 but if I were to be EB3 and it takes say 18 months, I have already waited 19 months since 485 ND and now another 18 months for me to become current plus processing time, who knows how long it is going to be - another 2-2.5 years of wait time which will make it 4 years just for 485, that's insane.