Port of Entry - JFK with a re-entry permit

buwalagos

Registered Users (C)
Hi

Entering USA in early February 2011.What is your experience at JFK airport when entering with a re-entry permit?
We are green card holders since march 2009 and living outside since that time. This is our first return since departing USA in March 2009.

I am dreading the immigration process.

Any feedback on JFK is welcome.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
You will get questioned.

You will get a dirty look.

You will get a warning.

Unless you have some other issue...

You will get admitted.

You will get a dirty look because you will be dealing with a person who sees that you got a greencard and then almost immediately left the country for almost 2 years. In other words, you will be face-to-face with someone who was trained to be judgemental.

You will get a warning that you are in danger of abandoning your LPR status and that you have disrupted your continuity for naturalization purposes. You will basically be informed verbally with the same information printed in your re-entry permit. Most people don't read or necessarily understand it.

Be comforted that the motto of the inspectors at JFK is "We ADMIT our mistakes." I'm not kidding about that, it is an old INS inside joke.

Ok..that sounds intimidating! I thought I read somewhere that immigration might be quicker at JFK becuase it is such a busy airport. I guess I can expect some more scrutiny as I am ariving from Dubai :eek:

i came like 3 days short of my 2nd anniversary of my departure, i wasnt asked anything.

i guess its the officer

This is a return trip and I will apply for another re-entry permit during my stay in US. I guess it depends on the officer and may be your point of origin. Thanks for the replies ...I am bracing my self for the worst!

Last edited by a moderator:
NO. It depends on the officer more than the airport.

Yes, I undersdand, but in theory in some airports officers are busier and get to see more foreigners so probably less likely to ask each of them many questions.

How about Boston airport? Is it better than JFK?

Hi

I am the original poster of this thread. So here is an update. We entered through JFK and didn't have any problems at the passport control.:D

BUT, there were couple of question with customs officer. I won't call it a problem but more of a clarification. I do have some questions regarding that incident which i will post on this forum soon.

Thanks for all the messages. I am also interested on the comment above regarding Boston airport. Any thoughts on it?

Dear Mr Buwalaqos,
My situation is similar to yours, got GC in 2009 and visited US again in December 2010 to apply for reentry permit. I'll return again only in August 2012 ( so it will be 21 month absence after my last visit)
I want to ask you what the questions the IO asked you about?
Did he ask you about filing Taxes? because I'm working abroad but I did not file taxes.
I got intimidating replies when I asked Lawyers... they usually say a reentry permit does not guarantee my admittance.
Please share your hole experience .
I highly appreciate your reply and time.
Thank you

Hurry up and file your taxes.

It is true that a reentry permit doesn't guarantee admittance. However, people seldom have a problem when entering with their first reentry permit, unless they had extensive travel before the permit.

travel back on expired re entry permit?

Travelling back on GC outside US for 9 months after first re entry permit expired
Hi,

Can you please advice on my case:
GC holder since 2005, filing taxes as resident since 2005 to 2011.
Left US on AUG 2008 for employment in Dubai for US Company. N470 Filed approved for period AUG 2008- AUG 2010.
Re entry permit approved thru NOV 2010.
Could not make any trip back to US during that time period.
Lost job in Dubai in July last year but got another job in Sept 2010 again for US Company in Abu Dhabi. But haven't filed for N470 or re netry permit with new company since I could not be in US.
Would like to travel later this month to US back to my residence place in California.
My Imm Lawyer in Calfornia believs there is no risk as such as I am still withn 1 yr period since last N470 or last re entry permit.

However would like to know your opinion as well. Can I travel on GC without any hassles at POE?
I maintain local bank a/c and LLC business in california with taxes filed every year since 2005 as resident. Don't own house/porperty as such but share local home adress with my cousin.
Should I opt for DS117 locally in ABu Dhabi instead? Don't want to loose my GC or having it rescinded at POE.

Pl. advise at your earliest.
Thanks

Your current trip is less than a year, so they'll reject the DS-117 and tell you to fly back with your green card. DS-117 (application for the SB-1 visa) is for when you've been outside the US for at least a year.

While there is never a guarantee, I'd say the risk of you having a serious problem at the POE is low.

Note that they can't revoke your GC at the POE. They can refuse entry or they can physically take away the card, but they can't revoke your GC. They can send you to an immigration judge, and it will be the judge's final decision, not the POE officer.

Your current trip is less than a year, so they'll reject the DS-117 and tell you to fly back with your green card. DS-117 (application for the SB-1 visa) is for when you've been outside the US for at least a year.

That is encouraging. But then I have heard conficliting views that since I have been gone effectively from 2008 it could be a problem, althogh N470 and first re entry permit "covered" for that absence. Is it absolutely necessary to have travelled during the period of first re entry permit?
The USCIS website states that if gone for more than 2 years and if re entry permit is expired then for travelling again I need to apply for returning resident visa... it does not state if my absence should be more than 1 year.
I am confused...