Poll on "Order of posts within a thread"

What do you think should be the order of a post within a thread?

• Latest post at top of the thread

Votes: 155 54.0%
  • Oldest post at top of the thread

Votes: 126 43.9%
  • Order does not matter

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
last should appear first

Last should appear first.

That would make life easier.

I look into the old messages just once, when i am new to a thread. After i am done with the old ones, it's the new ones after that...all the way.

Let them decide

Let the users decide what goes on top. Make it configurable. Its a choice, I vote for oldest first. Respect what was there before you.

Yes! Latest First

It will help the frequent visitors a lot. For the occasional visitors, they are going to read all the messages if they want to make anything out. It doesn't really matter much if they read it bottom up. So its a slight inconvenience versus a big convenience.

My first $0.02 ;)

Oldest First

In many sensitive cases Admin. starts a thread. Many people don't know what was the thread exactly related to, if the main title of the thread gets lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are my 2 cents.

I usually read the first post(oldest) and if content is of any intrest then I click the last page to get current update, which works great for me everytime.

And sometime I read through complete post if I need to extract some information joining clues from different posts. Imagine reading through 5 pages of a post going backwards.

Please leave it the way it is.

Originally posted by Jharkhandi
I would like to see oldest to latest. That way following it is easy. (same reason as that of dmun).

Same here. I guess that a couple days back the posts were temporarily being displayed from newest to oldest. I found reading the posts from the bottom up and from higher numbered pages to lower numbered pages pretty counterintuitive.

The proposed change would only benefit people who are very up to date with the posts (which is probably the exception) since they just need to check the top couple posts.

Personally, I always bookmark the last page that I read (this will simply overwrite earlier bookmarks). Then, I can jump into that same spot, scroll down to the last post that I read and start reading from top to bottom and from lower numbered pages to higher numbered pages (the way it is now).

ETA

rajiv:

I think we should leave it as-is since it is easy to ready top-down as also suggested by jharkhandi. Changing the sorting order with latest at top will be awkward to read.

POLL CLOSED

Since there was a margical difference between the 2 poll options, we will keep the order of posts the same as of now. We are soon upgrading to the new version of this software which will provide enhanced features for browsing the forums.

Till then, good luck