Poll on "Order of posts within a thread"

What do you think should be the order of a post within a thread?

• Latest post at top of the thread

Votes: 155 54.0%
  • Oldest post at top of the thread

Votes: 126 43.9%
  • Order does not matter

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well...... IF latest post is first then the order of reading will be Bottom to Top.
I guess its not good idea to Read a post without knowing what it is related to and what the person is talking about.

anushri.

Well...... IF latest post is first then the order of reading will be Bottom to Top.
I guess its not good idea to Read a post without knowing what it is related to and what the person is talking about.

anushri.

Let the user decide..

If these are my only options then my vote is for Latest post at the top.

ultimately, i thinkg the user should have a choice on how they want to view, either through User Preferences for logged in users
or something on the thread page that lets users sort it date\time wise.

What I think would be nice is..
(in this case oldest post first seems better)

1- Let the first post be the original post
2- have all the posts on the same page. so that i dont have to navigate between pages. This also would help me use the browsers search box to go to a desired post faster...instead of trying to remember on what page i saw a particular post, navigating there and then finding it. This obviously makes sense for posts that would span pages.
3- categorize the posts into groups of (total posts for the topic)\(some meaningful number)..e.g if 100 posts then say groups of 20. All the posts need not be visible when the user first views that page. Show post 1, followed by hyperlinks to expand to posts 2-20, 21-40, 41-60, 61-80, followed by the latest 20 posts
visible 81-100.
4. When the user clicks on the hyperlink, it exands those 20 posts on the same page, maintaining the same sort order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Replies

Originally posted by prisri
But it would be nice if our threads are answered promptly!!
No one is getting paid here to answer questions. Hence it is unrealistic to expect prompt replies. The person you should be looking for prompt replies from is your lawyer, whom you actually pay to answer your questions.

Having said that, in most forums, the response time is usually good, sometimes the questions are out of scope for the limited knowledge of most on this forum, and the members don't answer for fear of giving advise on things they don't know.

I would advise you to first use the search functionality to see if your topic has been covered in the past, and then start a new thread. If no one answers for a day or so, bring it up. If no one answers for a couple of days then it is doubtful anyone on that particular forum knows the answer and let it go at that.

Different people have different opinions. Both orders have different advantages.

If possible the best would be to have 2 buttons and one should be able to click on a button to choose which order he wants. Just like in Emails you are able to sort them in whichever order you want - oldest or newest.

That would solve the problem and everyone would get what they want.

:D

Oldest First

As some guys were saying, as the Englisg language goes from left to right, so should the thread logic

Oldest first

Originally posted by allthebest
Different people have different opinions. Both orders have different advantages.

If possible the best would be to have 2 buttons and one should be able to click on a button to choose which order he wants. Just like in Emails you are able to sort them in whichever order you want - oldest or newest.

That would solve the problem and everyone would get what they want.

:D

Agreed, It would be better to have an option to choose from.

Personally I prefer to have Oldest First . It makes better sense and helps to understand when one opens an old or long thread.