Poll on "Order of posts within a thread"

What do you think should be the order of a post within a thread?

• Latest post at top of the thread

Votes: 155 54.0%
  • Oldest post at top of the thread

Votes: 126 43.9%
  • Order does not matter

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Oldest post should be on top

Originally posted by JoeF
In English, the standard reading direction is from top to bottom.
So to be able to understand the thread, it should go from oldest to newest.

A short example (pulled from the Jargon file at http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html) illustrates it nicely:
A: No.
Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?

Here is a much larger example:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/documents/quotingguide.html

Bad:
"Hi Erik,

Hotel 'xxx' is a good one, I have been there myself. Car rental-company 'yyy'
is around the corner, couldn't be more perfect.

Cya, Peter.

Erik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a decent hotel in Paris, not to expensive, preferably
near
> the center and easy reachable with public transport. I am also looking for
a
> car-rental company in Paris.
>
> Cya, Erik"

Good:
"Erik wrote:
>
> I am looking for a decent hotel in Paris, not to expensive, preferably
> near the center and easy reachable with public transport.

Hotel 'xxx' is really good, I have been there myself.

> I am also looking for a car-rental company in Paris.

Rentalcompany 'yyy' is around the corner. That's also very practical.

Cya, Peter."

This is a good example, however, in our context the latest one will work the best because once your start reading a particular thread you dont ALWAYS read all the messages from tbe beginning to get to the latest message. The way I look at the thread is "click" and simply go to the last page to access the message. And if I dont understand the message I go back page by page to understand the context (in case where thread is over few pages long).

So, I would say if we have the latest one on the top it will save time for everyone.

Cheers!
Currys

Originally posted by Jharkhandi
Looks so good. Please allow users an option to change their vote - you will see a 90% on oldest first.

That's 100% true!

I am with OLDEST FIRST.

Re: Re: Oldest post should be on top

Originally posted by curryus
This is a good example, however, in our context the latest one will work the best because once your start reading a particular thread you dont ALWAYS read all the messages from tbe beginning to get to the latest message. The way I look at the thread is "click" and simply go to the last page to access the message. And if I dont understand the message I go back page by page to understand the context (in case where thread is over few pages long).

So, I would say if we have the latest one on the top it will save time for everyone.

Cheers!
Currys

One always has the option of going to the last unread post.

It is a very distinct pattern - people who have less exposure to portal are for latest first and people with more exposure are for oldest first.

For people who need latest first - please try to understand the point - you do not read a book from last page to first page, you do not eat dessert before meal. You people need to show one example (or suggestion) from ANY company/ ANY site which practices it.

Once you are into these threads - you will understand the ordering is more than just a 'click'. To have the last post - someone has to go there are put his/her ideas/experience(where else would you 'click'?). Don't you think it will be asking too much for people to read in reverse order and then answer? The more you get into portal - the more you will understand the essence of oldest first. How many posts were made last night when order was reversed - this will show a clear cut comfort level of users.

I would say oldest first.
And the reason is we have options of arrow on the person's name who has posted last. With that we can directly go to last post.

Operation

Can’t we add following functionality to all the threads in the forum?

Sorting option (ascending/descending by date/time).

I WOULD GO WITH LETEST AT THE TOP THOUGH WE MAY CONSIDER THE OPTION OF KEEPING THE THREAD STARTING POST AS HEADER RIGH ON THE TOPE, A LINE AND THEN LETEST TO OLDEST,

BEST WAY COULD BE TO HAVE A RADIO BUTOON SOMEWHERE ON THE TOP WHICH CAN LET USER DECIDE IF THE WANNA SORT ASCENDING ON DESCENDING.

DONNO,JUST A THOUGHT.

THX

Nope

No - the oldest post should be on top - otherwise it becomes difficult to understand the context of a new post.

As in any discussion boards, there is always a tendency for posts to deviate from the original topic. This is especially true in case of long threads.

One just has to look at the last post in any thread. Simply looking at the last post, its very difficult, if not impossible to make out the topic on hand.

Keeping latest thread at the bottom forces participants to look at the original post and hence helps in stemming the deviation.

Once we start putting latest threads on top, I can confidently predict that the discussion in Any thread will deviate so quickly that any coherence and thus usefulness will be lost.

The minor benifits in keeping latest posts on top do not outweigh the costs.

Very good point. People need read through before make comments to avoid redundancy and negligence. Unless you are frequent viewer and already viewed most posts. Then going to the last page is not very hard. Also you can already get email alert that links to the most recent post on the forum interested.

Originally posted by Pineapple
As in any discussion boards, there is always a tendency for posts to deviate from the original topic. This is especially true in case of long threads.

One just has to look at the last post in any thread. Simply looking at the last post, its very difficult, if not impossible to make out the topic on hand.

Keeping latest thread at the bottom forces participants to look at the original post and hence helps in stemming the deviation.

Once we start putting latest threads on top, I can confidently predict that the discussion in Any thread will deviate so quickly that any coherence and thus usefulness will be lost.

The minor benifits in keeping latest posts on top do not outweigh the costs.