Please help with filling out N-400

And then you tell him that you have listed the child only because the instruction says stepchild has to be listed.

I meant the extra evidence required to be mailed in before the interview. I would not have nobody to explain with before the interview.

You could also have a child of your own that is not a US citizen, and your stepchild could file for your child immigration as a brother under some circumstances in the future. There are some other cases too, when this stepchild relationship is important.

Since when is sponsorship of a step sibling a recognized category in family based immigration?

Wow. It seems complicated. You might need to consult an immigration lawyer. I wonder why your husband and his ex-gf didn't want to go the court for child support? They should have gone to the court and filed it mutually because you need the evidence (child support of your husband) for any legal paper like immigration, tax, etc. If they agreed on child support personally and silently without going to the court, it could pose more problems in the future. For example, his ex-gf might change her mind and demand more money to support your husband's child, then your husband could be in trouble if he can't afford paying for child support and the problem is that your husband have no court paperwork. Do you have your husband's notarized written agreement with his ex-gf on child support silently? but I don't think personal child support agreement between your husband and his ex gf would help the immigration officer to approve your N-400. I think immigration wanted only court decree that shows that your husband must pay for child support.

I suggest you should consult a lawyer. I know it is not your fault. It is just an immigration rule requiring you to list that you have a stepchild even though you haven't met your stepchild before or your stepchild doesn't live with you and your husband.

I meant the extra evidence required to be mailed in before the interview. I would not have nobody to explain with before the interview.
You could mention on N-400 form it is a stepchild, if you want.

It seems to me you are so jelaous about your husbund ex girfriend, that you are afraid of any mentioning of his former relationship with her in any kind of papers, including required by law, because you might believe once it's written, it might become true again.

I really do not see any other reason

It seems as if you have to mention the stepchild. But attach a sheet of paper explaining the situation -- the stepchild is somebody who does not live and never lived with you, nor have you ever met them.

If the IO brings up issues of support, say that it is between your husband and the child's mother, and you have never been asked by the mother or a court to pay anything, and you don't interfere in their business so you don't know the details of their arrangement.

It seems you have already made up your mind not to list your stepchild, so why are you listening to those who suggest you should mention the stepchild? Do what you think is best and good luck to you.

If the marriage occured before the child turned 18, stepchild is a child for immigration purposes. That is why there is no difference between a brother and a stepbrother.

No one knows the answer definitely. It would be best if you consult a lawyer.

Is there a reason why your husband and his ex-gf didn't want to go to the court to file it mutually for child support?

Is there a reason why your husband and his ex-gf didn't want to go to the court to file it mutually for child support?
She might be afraid that the child could be proven to be not his. And he might be afraid that the court would require paying more money than he's paying now. So they both accept the arrangement as is.

No one knows the answer definitely. It would be best if you consult a lawyer.

The reason was they thought it was unneccessary. They are both Ok with the current situation and the ex-gf is Ok with the child support. They've been doing it for years.

hi! bluegreen,
I am filing N-400 too, and I Have step son ( already he is an adult , was born in US) he is not my child , I did not adopt him.
but I list he's name as he is my husband's son.
it's mean he is my stepson.dosen't matter if you ever see him or not .

So what should I do, it will be a big mess if I list him.

how come do you think so??????if you don't adopt the child
you don't have any responsibility with your husband's child.
your husband and the child's mother has responsible with the child.

about child support, as long as there is proof of child suprt
nothing worry.
there is many couple that they has agreement between each other about the child suport.
but if person haven't pays child suport,
then perosn whom raising the child can sue even after the child grow up,

Last edited by a moderator: