Phoenix AZ - N-400 Timeline

azkiwi

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I am new to this forum, but have been reading the posts for the last couple of months. Thank you to everyone, your information has been most valuable in aiding my citizenship process (5 years employment based GC).
I completed my interview this morning in Phoenix and was actually taken in 10 minutes early. The officer was courteous, professional and friendly - made me feel very much at ease. After the oath, we reviewed my file with one amendment for a weekend in Mexico since filing. Although I had all of the items on Johnnycash's list, my green card was the only item which was viewed
My questions were...
1) colors of the flag?
2) how many branches of government?
3) Commander in Chief of the US military?
4) most important right granted to US citizens?
5) how many Supreme Court Justices?
6) requirements to be eligible for President?
I then received a stamp of approval and was told that I will receive an oath letter in 6-8 weeks. Very enjoyable experience.

Timeline:
DO: Phoenix
PD: 06.09.08
CC: 06.10.08
NOA: 06.12.08
FN: 06.20.08
FD: 07.03.08
IL: 07.31.08
ID: 08.19.08 - approved
OATH: 09.17.08 (99 days!)
PASSPORT APP: 09.17.08
PASSPORT REC: 09.24.08

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Bobsmyth. No, he didn't ask for my license. Only the security guard asked for that. Thought he may have asked for my passport as I have made 13 (albeit rather short trips) out of the country over the past five years.

Congrats... :)

Seems like Phx is moving along fast at the moment, I have my interview early September after filing mid June (Marriage based)...

I'm glad I found this thread. I just mailed my application this morning. I hope the process is fast and smooth as it has been for the two of you. Although nervous, I'd rather get it over with as soon as possible! I wish I could've done it sooner, to be able to vote at the upcoming elections. But for now, I'll be glad to be approved for my citizenship.
How were your interviews? We're the officers curtious and easy to deal with? That's my greatest concern.

Hi there,

Like azkiwi experience, my intereview was good. The lady who conducted my interview was also courteous, professional and friendly.

I was apprehensive going in, but everything went really well. The only hitch that day was that I was called 45 minutes late after arriving 30 mins early, the officer apologized several times at the start and of the interview, which really made a difference me. There were several others in the waiting room who were obviously there for the same reason, one of whome struck up a conversation whilst we waitied, it was interesting and helpful to know that others were sharing the same thoughts and emotions.

I was only asked to show my GC and driving license, sign a paper saying so and that was it. She breezed through the application making a couple of minor corrections, did 6 civics questions (they were easy) and it was over in about 10 minutes. I persoannly took above and beyond the requested paper work and that also gave confidence even though non of it was asked for.

I was told that I would receive an oath letter in 4-6 weeks, and was I really surprised (and relieved) that it arrived only 5 days later after the interview.

It looks like both azkiwi and I will be in the same ceremony (I have be there by noon -prompt), if not, we are taking the oath the same day.

Good luck with your application, I personally have had nothing but a good experience throughout my journey. As for doing it sooner, I think it helped my case as I waited 6 years after receiving my GC (marriage based). As for your greatest concern, dont be, just be yourself and be honest, everyone I saw that day was courteous and friendly (including the security officers).

I'm glad I found this thread. I just mailed my application this morning. I hope the process is fast and smooth as it has been for the two of you. Although nervous, I'd rather get it over with as soon as possible! I wish I could've done it sooner, to be able to vote at the upcoming elections. But for now, I'll be glad to be approved for my citizenship.
How were your interviews? We're the officers curtious and easy to deal with? That's my greatest concern.

Thank you for your information. Makes me feel more at ease. i hope everything goes as smoothly as for you.
Congratulations on your ceremony!

Happy for you.

In Phoenix, that is not my experience. Mine is on the backburner. I applied in July 2007 and no news. I went to Info Pass and was told I should have been interviewed a while ago, and she didn'nt know the reason my file was in no process pile.

This process is fustrating

Why are they picking on me. The IO said that everything cleared a yr ago. Why, is it because I'm from North of the Border?

I'm sorry to hear that.
My husband applied in May of 2007. Unfortunately I think you might just be within the piles of applications they received, right before the increase.
He got his oath letter the same day of the interview and it was scheduled for a week after his interview, last March.

Please keep us updated about your progress, I will do the same. At least we get an idea of what they're doing.

Thank you!

I'm not sure why my application and that of Weston08 were processed so quickly - just over 3 months. I applied 5 years after obtaining my greencard (employment based) and have only lived and worked in Phoenix during that time.
I do have a friend who has been waiting since June 07 for an interview date, and she is from Australia, so I don't think being north of the border has anything to do with it. I guess we were just lucky.
Chantal, have you contacted your local Senators office? I know they have been very helpful in assisting colleagues with their respective cases. I hope you get some answers soon.
Like Weston08, my experience has been most enjoyable and will be completed tomorrow with my oath ceremony at Dodge theater. (I have to be there at 0800, so it looks like we're not in the same ceremony but all the very best for yours).
Good luck with your application Phx girl - it would appear that Phoenix has been making an effort to speed up the process for applicants, at least those who applied in the last few months. I feel sympathy for others who are unfairly, still waiting.

thanks

azkiwi,

Mine is also at the Dodge theatre, just a different time (be there by noon - should all be done by 3), makes you wonder just how many people they are intending to give the oath to tomorrow.

I wish you well and hope that you have a great day :)

Thank you. It so helps to hear from all of you. I was kidding about being North of the border. I feel picked on and had to give it a reason. My attorney contacted INS and got the same response as me.

If I contact the Senate or a Congressman, what do I write? Do they really want to hear from us?

Azkiwi and Weston08, congratulations for tomorrow. Thank you for posting and keeping the ones waiting motivated :)

Thanks for your kind words Chantal.
Contacting your Senators office is worth a shot. If you take a look at Jon Kyl's website, it actually states that they are there to help with constituent immigration issues. The letter addressed to Jon Kyl, has to include your name, return address, green card number and an outline of the problem. If you call the office, they will forward you to the appropriate person and he will give you the above details and fax number.
I know that it is a frustrating situation but keep motivated! Good luck.

Congratulations to both new citizens!
How was the oath?

Thank you :)

The oath ceremony overall went well.

You mentioned that your husband has gained his citizenship, so most of what I write next, you may already know, if not, long read ahead....

When we arrived, it was choas outside as people from azkiwi ceremony were still leaving. I found the line I was supposed to be in (there were 3 lines, with the last 3 numbers of the A# number being the deciding factor for which line). The worst part of the day was waiting in the sun, it was blisteringly hot, but I was fortunte to find some partial shade under a tree I shared with several people. The biggest mistake I made was not to have any water, so if they hold your ceremony there, make sure you come prepared for a long wait in the heat (or just arrive late).

Once they finally started to let us in, it was very straight forward. They check your ID at the door, and guide you to a specific table (again based on your A#). They took my oath letter, made sure my certificate was there, and then finally took my GC. I was given a piece of paper stating where to sit, a packet full of goodies and so I head off to find where to sit.

Once the ceremony started, it didn't seem to take that long, we watched a few short film clips throughout it, listened to some guest speakers, took the oath, pledged alligience to the flag, and it was over. They handed out our certificates where we sat once it was all over.

We were able to update out Social Security info and register to vote right there and then afterwards, which most did. They seemed very keen to make sure people registered to vote as they mentioned it all the time.

In our ceremony there were over 1500 taking the oath from 109 different countries, which in someways made it very impersonal. It was interesting to see what people considered "proper attire" as there were some in flip flops, football shirts, jeans, cut off tops etc. Apparently there were a similar number of people in the earlier ceremony, so over 3000 people became citizens in Phoenix yesterday.

Considering the number of people there, I have to say the USCIS staff from the Phx office did a really good job of organizing and making the ceremony go smoothly.

I hope that your application moves along quickly, it must help allot to have been through process once already with your husband.

Thank you. It so helps to hear from all of you. I was kidding about being North of the border. I feel picked on and had to give it a reason. My attorney contacted INS and got the same response as me.

If I contact the Senate or a Congressman, what do I write? Do they really want to hear from us?

Azkiwi and Weston08, congratulations for tomorrow. Thank you for posting and keeping the ones waiting motivated :)

Thank you,

I hope that you can get your issue resolved quickly, I do consider myself lucky with my time frame. At the ceremony, I sat next to a guy who applied around the same time as I did, his sister applied over a year ago and was in the earlier ceremony... so there doesn't seem to be any pattern other than luck...

I wish you well and hope that you will be getting an IL soon :)

Thank you :)

The oath ceremony overall went well.

You mentioned that your husband has gained his citizenship, so most of what I write next, you may already know, if not, long read ahead....

When we arrived, it was choas outside as people from azkiwi ceremony were still leaving. I found the line I was supposed to be in (there were 3 lines, with the last 3 numbers of the A# number being the deciding factor for which line). The worst part of the day was waiting in the sun, it was blisteringly hot, but I was fortunte to find some partial shade under a tree I shared with several people. The biggest mistake I made was not to have any water, so if they hold your ceremony there, make sure you come prepared for a long wait in the heat (or just arrive late).

Once they finally started to let us in, it was very straight forward. They check your ID at the door, and guide you to a specific table (again based on your A#). They took my oath letter, made sure my certificate was there, and then finally took my GC. I was given a piece of paper stating where to sit, a packet full of goodies and so I head off to find where to sit.

Once the ceremony started, it didn't seem to take that long, we watched a few short film clips throughout it, listened to some guest speakers, took the oath, pledged alligience to the flag, and it was over. They handed out our certificates where we sat once it was all over.

We were able to update out Social Security info and register to vote right there and then afterwards, which most did. They seemed very keen to make sure people registered to vote as they mentioned it all the time.

In our ceremony there were over 1500 taking the oath from 109 different countries, which in someways made it very impersonal. It was interesting to see what people considered "proper attire" as there were some in flip flops, football shirts, jeans, cut off tops etc. Apparently there were a similar number of people in the earlier ceremony, so over 3000 people became citizens in Phoenix yesterday.

Considering the number of people there, I have to say the USCIS staff from the Phx office did a really good job of organizing and making the ceremony go smoothly.

I hope that your application moves along quickly, it must help allot to have been through process once already with your husband.

Congratulations!! First of all.
My husband's ceremony was held accross the street, at the Sandra Day O'Connor Federal Courthouse. Actually there wasn't very many people. It was held in a courtroom, there were no videos or anything. They formed one line, first come, first serve. They were taken in to the courtroom first, turned in their GC's and then the families were invited in. At that ceremony, most people had proper attire. I wouldn't take my kids though. Just my personal thoughts, considering how my children would behave - like children. But I wouldn't condemn it. Just each person's choice.

Chantal, I too hope you get your IL soon. I'm SO nervous, I'm not sure if I want it soon or NOT, lol:rolleyes:

Phx_Girl, thank you. I have a friend that has applied the same day as you. I hope your process is smooth.

I called INS again as I did not see my case status updated. The phone person was mean. Now, she told me that they are not sure where my file is. she is telling me my file is somewhere else and Infopass did not give me the correct information. INS and my lawyer are telling me to be patient. After 15 months, there is not much patience.

I think you are doing the right thing on communicating and staying on top of it. I listened to my lawyer and realized that I was patient for too long.

Thanks

Thanks Phx-girl!

As Weston08 mentioned, my Ceremony was in the morning at the Dodge Theatre. When I arrived at 0800, the line went from Washington Street, down 4th Ave, along W Adams back to 5th Avenue. Fortunately, Phoenix was rather kind that early and the temperature was bearable. It took to 0915 to enter the Theatre, where Greencard was surrendered and Naturalization Certificate was checked. Because of the large number of people, 1545, several were late due to lack of parking. Subsequently, the Ceremony did not start to after 1015.

I found the Ceremony to be very moving and emotional and felt very privileged and proud to be part of that day - it was rather overwhelming.
The only negatives were the way people were dressed, which was quite frankly appalling. Presenting yourself like that on such an honorable day is blatantly disrespectful. Not to mention, the lady seated in front of me, who proceeded to talk in Spanish on her cell phone during the Ceremony. It became very apparent that becoming a US Citizen means very little to some people.

It took a long time to receive the Naturalization Certificates, so I was still seated in the Theatre at 1215 but with that amount of people, it was to be expected. I did think to myself, that Weston08 would be lined up outside by that time and we were still inside.

I did not have time to register to vote or change my Social Security status, as I had an appointment at the passport office at 1230, which I just made. But I think it's great, that those services were offered to us at that time.

Overall, a great day and I sincerely hope that Chantal and yourself are able to enjoy your special day very soon.

azkiwi, I saw glimps of the ceremony on TV. I agree with you, people should have not been on their phone. And especially in a foreign language. I'm happy that you are proud and you deserve it :)

Thank you for keeping Phx Grl and I motivated.