Philadelphia Regional DOL Tracker

What does PERM mean to us?

mvinays said:
OMB Completes Review of PERM
Dec 14, 2004

The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) has finally cleared its review of the PERM regulation. It contains the notation "Consistent with Change." Now that OMB has completed its review, the DOL must decide whether or when to publish PERM in the Federal Register so that it may be implemented effective from a certain date.

The PERM procedures cannot go into effect until the final regulation is published in the Federal Register. The DOL mentioned that they had changed the effective date for PERM from 120 days to only 60 days after its publication in the Federal Register.

Watch MurthyDotCom for more on this important development!

© The Law Office of Sheela Murthy, P.C. (2004)

What does this mean to us who have already filed and are waiting at Philly Regional DOL, (or rather BEC center now)?

No. You cannot upgrade you category from EB3 to EB2.

Vasu209 said:
Hi Every body,

Please answer for the following.

My Labor was filed in EB3 category. Can we make request to INS to promote this case to EB2.

Question for Tomshu and Akela

1 - Did they send those letters to the post office yet?

2 - If yes. Then how many lettres so far they mailed or its kind of
1,000 letters per day?

3 - What will happend if the letter come back as undelivered. Because
many employer changed their business location?

4 - Once BEC (Backlog Elimination Center) received reply back frrom
employer, then how long that will take them to send approval
letters?

I believe your category is EB2 (BS + 5 years experience). This distinction (EB2 vs EB3) is not explicitly made in the Labor Cert application (which is probably what your attorney is telling you), but it is implied by the minimum experience/education requirements as defined in your Labor application. BS + 5 Years (equivalent to MS) falls into the EB2 category. (I'm not an attorney, so this is just a layman's interpretation)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fyi.

Source: http://www.immigration-law.com

12/14/2004: EB-3 Visa Number Retrogression, Labor Certification Backlog Elimination, & Importance of Conversion for PERM

As the DOL is about to release the final rule of PERM new labor certification system, the Indians, Chinese, and Philippine communities are closely watching the conversion provision under the final PERM regulation. When the DOL planners devised the two pillars (PERM Electronic Processing for New Cases and Reduction of Backlogs for Existing Cases) more than six or seven years ago for the reengineering of the labor certification system, the planners seemed to intend to encourage conversion as a means to reduce the backlogs. In this regard, appropriate mechanisms to switch some of the caseloads from the Backlog Reduction Centers to the National Processing Centers in the form of "conversion" appear to be very important for the DOL to achieve the intent of the original Strategic Plan.

Conversion is very important for the labor certification applicants because of the upcoming visa number backlogs for EB-3 for the Indians, Chinese, and Filippinos. Since the priority date will be as important as the prompt processing of the labor certification application, unless liberal and lenient conversion provisions are incorporated in the PERM system, the DOL will fail to move some of the backlog workloads from the Backlog Reduction Centers to the National Processing Centers. Conversion also has additional importance because of the DOL policy to process the backlog cases by the Backlog Reduction Centers on the FIFO principle. Conversion will allow the involved aliens in the backlog pipelines to escape from the long and long waiting line related to the FIFO processing rule without losing the priority date. In this regard, conversion should help the DOL to achieve the goal of reducing backlogs and the aliens to achieve the dual goals of keeping priority date and obtaining the labor certification approval in a short period of time. We must say that it is a "win-win" situation for everyone involved. It is thus hoped that the soon-to-be published PERM regulation sufficiently incorporates this concept providing a lenient policy for conversion. Let's cross our fingers together.

Where are the Letters?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Where are those letters? They mail letters on December 6 already a week has passsssed not a single receiving. Please post your thoughts whats going on.

orissa,

I checked with my attorney. They haven't received any correspondence from BRC. As Tomshu said on his posting on December 8th...

tomshu said:
I just asked, but unfortunately the answer I got is:

The Phil BEC has not sent out any letters yet!!

because of the computer problems.
it looks like they haven't fixed the computer problem yet.

If tomshu or someone can call the 'HOTLINE' and give us some update it will be truly helpful.

Thanks

AwardMyGC

orissa said:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Where are those letters? They mail letters on December 6 already a week has passsssed not a single receiving. Please post your thoughts whats going on.

Does anybody know the Phili Phone number? I tried 215-861-5286 and it kept ringing?

Thanks

Brc

Choclito said:
Tomshu, where are you !!! do you have any news ??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused:

Looks like another rotten org: they cant fix a computer problem! :(
They complain about H1B candidates .. cheap labor.. etc etc. If they are so efficient why dont they fix the issue!. useless people :mad:

san27geet said:
Guys I am usually a very optimistic audience of this forum and I kept my hope alive till today to get an EAD (not GC). But now with this retrogress news I think even getting an EAD is like dreaming to win a power ball lottery. Any thoughts or any statements to keep the hope alive.
I think no one is impacted by the retrogress news. I will appreciate does anyone ahs any other thoughts other than the negativity....Already we all are sailing with negative thoughts....so we need something to cheer up....

san27geet said:
I think no one is impacted by the retrogress news. I will appreciate does anyone ahs any other thoughts other than the negativity....Already we all are sailing with negative thoughts....so we need something to cheer up....

Well, actually, a LOT of people are impacted by the retrogress. Spouses being the obvious example. But there's not much that can be done about it. Someone had posted an excellent link a week or so ago detailing previous instances of retrogress. In every case of retrogress, the retrogress was about 2.5 to 3 years, but it somehow disappeared within 6-8 months to come back to current.

So there's a positive thing.

Abt. the letters not being sent out because they are unable to fix a software problem... now there's a prime example of irony - a significant portion of the labor applicants are the very people who work here to solve s/w issues. :p

Pineapple said:
Well, actually, a LOT of people are impacted by the retrogress. Spouses being the obvious example. But there's not much that can be done about it. Someone had posted an excellent link a week or so ago detailing previous instances of retrogress. In every case of retrogress, the retrogress was about 2.5 to 3 years, but it somehow disappeared within 6-8 months to come back to current.

So there's a positive thing.

Abt. the letters not being sent out because they are unable to fix a software problem... now there's a prime example of irony - a significant portion of the labor applicants are the very people who work here to solve s/w issues. :p
Hey PineApple,

Just like your id sounds sweet, your thoughts are too.....hopefully the retrogress effect goes away in 7-8 months. My objective for this whole process was to get an EAD for my wife.....so u can now understand why my post....But now with your post I am back again to optimistic mode....thank you.. :) :)

EB2 or EB3

Hi,
I am wondering whether I would be able to apply for I-140/485 in EB2 category or not. My labor was filed in Jan 2003 and moved to Phili DOL in July 2004. The item 14 of from ETA 750 says the college degree required is 'M.S' and major field of study is 'Computer Science or Chemical Engineering or related" and experience 'No experience at all'. The nature of employers business activity was metioned as 'Information Technology' and my job title as 'Software Engineer'.

I have a masters in Chemical Engineering and a little over 5 years (3 years on the date GC was filed) of experience all from the same company from which I filed for my GC. I am assuming none of this experience counts as it is from the same company, but based on my masters, I am wondering whether my application is eligible for EB2 or not. So far, I am getting mixed opinions such as 'the case would be difficult' or 'It qualifes for EB2 based on form 750'.

I really appreciate your response regarding this..

vk2003 said:
I believe your category is EB2 (BS + 5 years experience). This distinction (EB2 vs EB3) is not explicitly made in the Labor Cert application (which is probably what your attorney is telling you), but it is implied by the minimum experience/education requirements as defined in your Labor application. BS + 5 Years (equivalent to MS) falls into the EB2 category. (I'm not an attorney, so this is just a layman's interpretation)

Last edited by a moderator:
According my understanding, you are already in EB2 since the form says "M.S" which is master degree.

GCInThisLife said:
Hi,
I am wondering whether I would be able to apply for I-140/485 in EB2 category or not. My labor was filed in Jan 2003 and moved to Phili DOL in July 2004. The item 14 of from ETA 750 says the college degree required is 'M.S' and major field of study is 'Computer Science or Chemical Engineering or related" and experience 'No experience at all'. The nature of employers business activity was metioned as 'Information Technology' and my job title as 'Software Engineer'.

I have a masters in Chemical Engineering and a little over 5 years (3 years on the date GC was filed) of experience all from the same company from which I filed for my GC. I am assuming none of this experience counts as it is from the same company, but based on my masters, I am wondering whether my application is eligible for EB2 or not. So far, I am getting mixed opinions such as 'the case would be difficult' or 'It qualifes for EB2 based on form 750'.

I really appreciate your response regarding this..

BEC Letters

Looks like another disappointment. I believe they did not sent the letters yet and don't have a clear plan on how and when the letters will be sent.
It is also surprising we don't see any updates from Tomsu and Akela

sm2017 said:
Looks like another disappointment. I believe they did not sent the letters yet and don't have a clear plan on how and when the letters will be sent.
It is also surprising we don't see any updates from Tomsu and Akela

Yes I agree, its been really quiet in here past few days. BEC seems to be lost with no clear plan or indication about sending those letters. Also, no news from Tomshu, not a good sign. BEC left for christmas early this year. :(