Philadelphia Regional DOL Tracker

akela said:
I have heard that date regression will happen and probably EB3 is going to be effected and not EB2. Why? What is the quota for EB2 and EB3 each year and how many apply in them. Does anyone know.

Thanks,
a

I have an educated guess on that one. Ever since Labor applications have been bogged down by the April 2001 spike in applications I have wondered what happens when all those labor applications finally get certified and move onto the next stage (ie. 140 and 485) -

Given that history, this is hardly surprising.

I don't remember the exact number of visa's numbers available per category; you can find that number on many immigration related web sites, but EB2 and EB3 have the same quota. The difference however will be the number of applications filed by April 2001 presumably in the EB3 category will cause that category to fill up quickly.
The assumption that the April 2001 applications were EB3 are because:
1. The deadline was extended to Mexican immigrants who were here without a valid status. I think it's a safe assumption that these are not Masters degree holders - or well, an overwhelming majority are not.
2. The expectation of the EB3 and NOT EB2 retrogression also seems to support this hypothesis.

Again, just some presumptions and guesses. I am not privy to information.

gp111 said:
In that case you will not be affected by EB3 Date Retrogress anyway... Most sources say the PD will be go back to 2002 so you will be still be able to file as your PD is in 2002..

gp111,

Should I be affected? My MD state filing date is 01/03/2002 and DOL receipt date is 01/04/2004 (EB3 RIR Category).

Even If I apply for I-140, I cannot obtain EAD, right? Man, this is so frustrating especially if someone's spouse is at dependant and waiting for EAD to work. This is my 7th yr extension and I was out of job only a month in my 7 years period of working here.

Thanks
Ciril99

I think you are better of with yout PD as Januray 3rd 2002. Even if the dates retrogress, what I heard is it will retrogress to 2002. Within 2 o3 months you might be able to apply for EAD even though you are in EB3. This is just my guess but you can take opinion of your attorney.

ciril99 said:
gp111,

Should I be affected? My MD state filing date is 01/03/2002 and DOL receipt date is 01/04/2004 (EB3 RIR Category).

Even If I apply for I-140, I cannot obtain EAD, right? Man, this is so frustrating especially if someone's spouse is at dependant and waiting for EAD to work. This is my 7th yr extension and I was out of job only a month in my 7 years period of working here.

Thanks
Ciril99

knowDOL said:
I think you are better of with yout PD as Januray 3rd 2002. Even if the dates retrogress, what I heard is it will retrogress to 2002. Within 2 o3 months you might be able to apply for EAD even though you are in EB3. This is just my guess but you can take opinion of your attorney.

Thanks for your clarification KnowDOL!

spidey said:
I have an educated guess on that one. Ever since Labor applications have been bogged down by the April 2001 spike in applications I have wondered what happens when all those labor applications finally get certified and move onto the next stage (ie. 140 and 485) -

Given that history, this is hardly surprising.

I don't remember the exact number of visa's numbers available per category; you can find that number on many immigration related web sites, but EB2 and EB3 have the same quota. The difference however will be the number of applications filed by April 2001 presumably in the EB3 category will cause that category to fill up quickly.
The assumption that the April 2001 applications were EB3 are because:
1. The deadline was extended to Mexican immigrants who were here without a valid status. I think it's a safe assumption that these are not Masters degree holders - or well, an overwhelming majority are not.
2. The expectation of the EB3 and NOT EB2 retrogression also seems to support this hypothesis.

Again, just some presumptions and guesses. I am not privy to information.
If the above assumptions are correct i.e most of the cases are from EB3 and mainly from mexican immigrants then as far as i know the Quota is country based and that dates may not retrogress for people from other countries.

Get a better understanding of how the rules work on the EB3 retro..

hope27485 said:
If the above assumptions are correct i.e most of the cases are from EB3 and mainly from mexican immigrants then as far as i know the Quota is country based and that dates may not retrogress for people from other countries.

Actually Shusterman just published a very good explanation of how the backlog and retrogression will work. I suggest people use the information in this posting to get some better perspective.

4. EB Numbers Expected to Backlog Soon - RNs Hardest Hit

Charles Dickens begins his famous novel "A Tale of Two Cities" with the
words: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

The same is true in today's immigration world. During the past three
years, the hundreds of thousands of applications for adjustment of
status based upon employment-based (EB) petitions were submitted, but
were never decided. However, during the past few months, the CIS has
been deciding over 20,000 each month. In January and February of this
year, our law firm received less than half a dozen I-485 approvals.
During September and October, we received over 100 approvals each month.
For our clients who received approvals, this is the "best of times."

However, because of all of these approvals, starting on January 1, 2005,
for many aspiring immigrants and their employers, this will be the
"worst of times." This is because, absent congressional intervention,
the EB 3rd preference category (professionals and skilled workers) for
persons born in China, India and the Philippines will backlog between
two and three years. Persons with "priority dates" prior to some
unknown date in 2002 will no longer be able to apply to adjust their
status in the U.S.

Why is this?

The number of persons who may obtain permanent residence each year
through their employment is limited to 140,000 plus certain exceptions
which raise this year's total to over 200,000, a large number, but not
large enough to accommodate 20,000+ approvals each month. In order to
keep approvals within numerical limits, the State Department will, in
it's January 2005 Visa Bulletin (which we will post online in early
December) announce "cut-off" dates sometime in 2002 for aspiring EB
immigrants from China, India and the Philippines, the three countries
with the most EB applicants.

What difference will this make?

Since most EB immigrants are required to have approved applications for
labor certification before they may apply for adjustment of status, and
because it takes at least two years to obtain an approved labor
certificate, they will not be affected by the backlogs. However, there
is one group of applicants who will be immediately and adversely
affected by the backlogs.

Registered Nurses (& Physical Therapists)

The Labor Department exempts persons in shortage occupations from
undergoing the labor certification procedure since few, if any, U.S.
workers are available to apply for their jobs. The shortage list
currently consists of only two occupations: registered nurses and
physical therapists. My guess is that for every physical therapist who
applies for permanent residence in the U.S., at least a hundred RNs do
so. The number of job vacancies at U.S. hospitals for RNs exceeds
100,000 and is rapidly growing. The shortage in nurses is directly
responsible for tens of thousands of unnecessary patient deaths in the
U.S. each year.

Since RNs are usually ineligible for temporary H-1B visas (since a four-
year university degree is not a prerequisite for most RN jobs),
thousands of RNs come to the U.S. as tourists each year, pass the state
licensing exam, and are sponsored for permanent residence by U.S.
hospitals. Such RNs can obtain work authorization from the CIS in a
matter of weeks. With U.S. nursing schools closing down, and the nurse
shortage growing more severe all the time, this influx of foreign-born,
U.S.-licensed nurses provides an important safety valve for hard-pressed
hospitals desperately seeking trained RNs.

Most foreign-born RNs are Filipinos. Because their language of
instruction is English, and because they usually obtain their nursing
education in order to work abroad, they are ideal candidates to fill
vacant positions in U.S. hospitals. For over 40 years starting in the
1950s, our immigration laws allowed them to enter the U.S. to work in a
matter of weeks using temporary visas. This visa category was allowed
to expire in 1995. Since then, they have used the permanent residence
process to obtain work permits. However, since they do not have
"priority dates" dating back to 2002, this route will no longer be
possible after the end of December.

Unless Congress takes immediate action, on January 1, 2005, this safety
valve will cease to exist. The real losers will be U.S. patients in
hospitals who lack nurses to care for them.

For information about the national shortage of nurses, see our "Nurse"
page at

http://shusterman.com/toc-rn.html#8

stueym said:
Actually Shusterman just published a very good explanation of how the backlog and retrogression will work. I suggest people use the information in this posting to get some better perspective.

Stueym what is RNs ?

orissa said:
stueym said:

Stueym what is RNs ?

I believe it is RN = Registered Nurse. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Akela for your inspired information. Tomshu is there anyway you can open-up your hotline to see, what's happening with BEC?

Thanks in Advance

AwardMyGC

akela said:
The letters are not out, this week or next week (I know we have been hearing this since many weeks, nee months now. I guess 15th Nov is there internal date for printing letters).

Now don't ask about the process, it is still being worked. The overiding concern is of course it should be a fair system (and I hope efficeinet too).

They are going to send letters for all the LC in the system. Of course not all will be mailed the same day, They will be mailed and processed based on application number (and who knows what application number is based on, I would assume earlier date will have earlier number)

A good case takes not more than 10 minutes to certify.

There is a tracking number, not setup and cued yet, but surely it will work.

13,000 cases from Phily regional have been tranferred (total).

As of now Phily and SF cases will be processed. Later on cases from state will be processed.

rgds,
a

Information received from BEC

1/. Phil and SF. Regionals' cases will be processed together.
2/. The date to send out those letters is 11/22/04
3/. Total amount of cases for both regions are about 35,000
4/. All the cases for the above DOLs will be processed according to the applications' REGIONAL DOL's RECEIVE DATE rather than Priority Date.
5/. All the state levels will be processed afterwards.

-- Tomshu

Thank you tomshu for Update

Thank you tomshu for your update, I am bit relax now till november 22.

Thanks again.

tomshu said:
4/. All the cases for the above DOLs will be processed according to the applications' REGIONAL DOL's RECEIVE DATE rather than Priority Date.

-- Tomshu
TOMSHU:

I am not able to understand when you state that "All the cases for the above DOLs will be processed according to the applications' REGIONAL DOL's RECEIVE DATE rather than Priority Date.".

Do you mean that the letters will be sent according to REGIONAL DOL's RECEIVE DATE ?

Since it would be unfair if an attorney for a person waiting with a DOl date of jul 2003 does not respond for 40 days but an attorney for a person with jul 2004 responds within 4 days. Now there is no reason for the latter case not to be processed just becuase the former did not respond. As you know most of the attorney's are lazy but some are better than others

Tomshu and Akela,

Your factual fact looks promising. I/We really appreciate your help.

Hoping for the Best,

AwardMyGC

tomshu said:

-- Tomshu

tomshu said:

-- Tomshu

First, Thanks to Tomshu for the info!

This DOL stuff keeps getting better and better... these guys are killing us with slow torture.. they keep giving the impression that things will move really quickly soon, that approvals are just round the corner, changes are coming in a few week etc.. then you look back and realize that its been months that this has been going on!! Remember when first BECs were announced, the directors appointed, staff recruited, etc etc.. at each step we thought we are almost there...well, its been almost six months and we're still exactly where we always were.
:(

What is the starting RD...May 2003 ?

Thanks Tomshu for the valuable info...

so what is the date (RD now) that Philly/SFO combo starts at? if it is the RD then SFO cases will have more priority than Philly cases as they have earliest RD.

It's almost 10 months Philly has approved any case and even if they start approving Philly/SFO combo there won't be any Philly cases which will be approved as Philly is currenly processing July 2003 and SFO March 2003.

It's not fair...if you look at Maryland cases...the PD goes back to 2001.

guys, please let me know whether I am wrong (hope I am)...

gc_pain

vikram_p said:
TOMSHU:

I am not able to understand when you state that "All the cases for the above DOLs will be processed according to the applications' REGIONAL DOL's RECEIVE DATE rather than Priority Date.".

Do you mean that the letters will be sent according to REGIONAL DOL's RECEIVE DATE ?

1/. All the 30,000 letters will be sent out in a couple of days starting from Nov. 22, 2004.
2/. And all the cases, after their confirmation letters are received, will be processed according to their Regional DOL's RECEIVE DATE rather than their PRIORITY DATE.
3/. If there is a lawyer representing the employer filing the case, a letter will be sent out to this lawyer only.

Since it would be unfair if an attorney for a person waiting with a DOl date of jul 2003 does not respond for 40 days but an attorney for a person with jul 2004 responds within 4 days. Now there is no reason for the latter case not to be processed just becuase the former did not respond. As you know most of the attorney's are lazy but some are better than others

if all this is true

If all the infomration are true (Please no offence to Tomshu or Akela). Then by early march '05 all in this forum should have got thier labor approved.

Simple math:
45 days for response.
35000 applications.
50 DOL staff - based on tomshu and akela (ignore the contractors)
20 applications apporved by each DOL staff in a day.

35000 / (50*20) = 35000/1000 = 35 days

At the best the next 4 months could have only 20 working days

so 45 days (for response) + 35 days ( processing) = 80 days

start from 22nd November== you have 5 working days

so Dec, jan and feb = 60 days ( i know feb has only 28 days). So remaining cases will be done in march 2005.

Hope this works out.....