Philadelphia PA - N-400 Timeline

Like nyc_naturalizer said, it's old news. Besides, this lawsuit is still not decided, so it's alittle bit premature to judge on its outcome IMHO... I wish the headline "COURT ORDERS USCIS TO STOP REQUIRING FBI NAME CHECKS PRIOR TO FINISHING NATURALIZATION CASES" would be true, but it's not...

N400- from Philly

Hello All,

I submitted my form on Oct 1st, one week earlier than the actual 90 day period. USCIS sent me back the application in Nov saying that I had applied one week earlier. So, anyways, I had to mail the same set of papers back to them the next day by overnight. So, now my priority date is Nov 20th 2007.
We finished our finger printing on Feb 2nd.

I was wondering if anyone can let me know, approx time frame for recieving the IL.
Also, when I went to finger printing, I asked for study material for Interview, since they were out of the material, they asked me to contact USCIS. When I tried contacting them, they sent me N400 form instead of study material. Can someone point me to the sample questions that are asked in test? Also, is it a written test or verbal?

Thanks much,
Akapoor

Priority Date: Nov 20th 2007
Check Encashed: Dec 19th 2007
FP letter: Jan 20th 20007
FP done: 2nd Feb 2008.
IL: ??
Oath Ceremony:???

Online status?

Hello All,

I finished my FP on Feb2nd. But I am still unable to check the status online. When I enter the case number on the home page, it says the failure to retrieve the case. But I read these posts, which says they can view their status online. Can someone please let me know how to do this?

I spoke to some one in USCIS, and they said that we cannot see it online? What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Akapoor

akapoor,

not to be a party pooper or anything. if you PD is Nov 20th, 2007 and your DO is philly you might be in for the long haul. My PD is Mar 23rd 2007 and i just got my IL last week and the interview is this friday. But you may get lucky and your IL might be around the corner. You just have to be patient right now. But there's plenty of people in front of you that have early 2007 PD's and are still waiting.

As for case status online, USCIS doesn't really focus too much on that right now and thats why its not showing up. If you call the 800 number and type in your case # you'll get the same message as whats on your NOA. Basically its a waste of time trying to figure out where your case stands by using case status online. Don't worry, you are already in the system and you'll get your IL.

Thanks, I am only worried because of my upcoming trip in May to India.
1. One, is it okay to travel while you have applied for Citizenship?
2. What happens if I miss my interview? (Only hoping that I will get my IL in month of May 08)

Thanks again,
Akapoor

dekagunda,

Do you know if you've been held by name check or not? Just curious because my PD is close to yours... no IL received, thou.

akapoor, you didn't try to use search on this forum, did you? Try it, it really works.... ;-) I agree that life is a gift, it would be shame to spend it asking the questions which were answered many times over and over...

Last edited by a moderator:
you can travel while your application is pending. I just went to India in January for a few weeks, don't know what would happen if you miss your interview while you are gone. I'm not sure if its automatically rescheduled or you would have to do it after you came back...

albertr, don't know if my name is held in name check or not. I got my IL a 2 weeks back and my interview is this friday the 14th. I just hope i'm not stuck in name check as that will just prolong my OL date i'm assuming. I'm in delaware by the way if that helps at all!

Hello All,

Didnt mean to ask the repeated questions. I did search, but may be not thorough search.
Anyways, thanks for all the replies.

One year after I applied, still waiting for the interview letter; hopefully this month's processing date will come out soon and I can request an inquiry. Anyone has experience with the inquiries as requested through INS phone line?

au071,

Call NCS, tell the rep that you don't have a receipt number with you, only your ALIEN number. They will have no choice, but to connect you to the second level of support who should be able to lookup the status of your name check.

Let us know whether you stuck in the name check or not...

Yeah, at least based on what I've observed, Phila is the slowest of them all. What can we do but wait?! I'm still some distance from actually applying, but seeing someone else move fast would make me feel better. I really do hope Phila speeds up soon.

DocyBear,

Any news from the Court house today? I thought they supposed to have a hearing today...

Meh I have no idea haha. I work with Kaplan most of the time. But I think Orlow is the main guy that deals with complicated court cases :confused:

Why don't you give their office a call? :D

Just did, unfortunately, they still won't do anything for me since my case is still not outside of the processing times. My receipt date is 3/15/2007 and the posted processing date for Philly is 4/10/2008(as of 2/15); they said I have to wait till that passes 4/16/2008. What a bunch of bureaucrats. And why can't their website update the processing date on the same date of each month, it's 3/19 already and they still haven't posted the one for 3/15:confused::mad::(

au071,

Call NCS, tell the rep that you don't have a receipt number with you, only your ALIEN number. They will have no choice, but to connect you to the second level of support who should be able to lookup the status of your name check.

Let us know whether you stuck in the name check or not...

I would guess it takes then about a week to just post it on their website. We would probably see the processing time updated either this week or early next week.

Our Oath Experience in Philly.

We had our interview 2 weeks back (March 6 2008) and I recived my oath letter on 13th March and oath date were scheduled for 19th March. My wife didn't receive oath letter but she came along with me to attend my function and we were surprised when the officer called her name for oath! Luckily we had the the green card with us and that's all we needed to surrender other than the oath letter. When we told that we didn't receive oath letter, they have no clear answer instead an oath letter form had given righ there and she needed to fill up the yes/no questionarries. Not sure what happend to her oath letter and it doesn't matter any more...

There are supposed to be 71 people for oath ceremenoy but I guess only 61 were present.
May be some of them didn't recive the oath letter like my wife's case and not aware of that were scheduled for it. If you recently passed interview from philly then you may want to take an infopass and see you haven't missed because of the mail deliveries. I don't want to panic anyone, but I guess if yours are are going beyond a reasonable time especailly for oath after a succesful interivew you may want to consider and give a try! Infact we had scheduled for an infopass for her for this friday and thank GOD we don't have to make another trip for it!!!

Oath ceremony was scheduled at 9am and we were there around 8:30. There were few people when we reached there and the rest joined as time went by! Officer told the oath ceremony will take about an hr and half and infact we all were out by 10:30. The Oath letter has to be presented at the entrance by each individual. The officers checked if the letter was signed at the back after answering the questions as YES/ NO. We were asked to submit our Green cards along with the letter which were stapled together and taken away before we all were seated in the hall. We were asked to verify the certificates for any mistakes or correction and they kept it back their desk. All of us recevied USA citizenship book,Instructions on how to sign the Naturalization Certificate and a small US flag. Alphabetically , they called the names of the countries we all originally belonged to and we had to stand up. The Oath of Allegiance was said and had to be repeated by the oath takers.The certificates were brought back to us and the staff congratulated every one!

Here are our dates and Good luck to every one!

PD: May 17 2007
FP: July 03 2007
IL: Jan 03 2008
ID: March 06 2008
OL: March 13 2008
OD: March 19 2008