Philadelphia PA - N-400 Timeline

can somebody please tell me the timings? our neighbor is checking the mail for us and we dont know if the timings are mentioned. we need to fly in from atlanta for the oath in april and to book the tickets we need to know how long it might take. will we be taking a risk if we book the tickets departing at 5.30 p.m.? in which case we might have to leave by 3.30 p.m.???

thanks for your input.

I finally got my oath letter yesterday for the april 4th ceremony. I almost gave up on it expecting they would atleast give you sometime, in terms of notice, before the scheduled date. I am so reliefed this whole process is coming to an end verryyyyyy soon!!!

Naturalization Ceremony Questions

Hi,
My friend and I filed the application within a week of each other in August 2006. I ended up having my interview on 2/7/2007, while hers was scheduled for the last week of February -three weeks after mine. She received her oath letter on Thursday, 3/15. On Friday, I called USCIS and asked whether I should expect a letter soon. I was told that I am in the queue for a ceremony, however, no date is assigned to my name and letters are mailed four weeks in advance. Knowing that April 4th is less than three weeks ahead, I concluded that I will have to wait for the next ceremony. To my surprise, the April ceremony invitation arrived yesterday, 3/17. Weird.

Two questions
1. Can I bring a guest with me to attend the ceremony?
2. I have traveled outside the US between after the interview. Is that a problem? (the invitation letter has a question about it) If so, why?

Thanks for any replies!
Natalia

Natalia,

If it isn't too inconvenient, can you please post your timeline ? That will help the rest of the us who are still waiting for our interview letters to track to the progress at Philly DO.

Thanks and good luck !

-KM

Natalia,

If it isn't too inconvenient, can you please post your timeline ? That will help the rest of the us who are still waiting for our interview letters to track to the progress at Philly DO.

Thanks and good luck !

-KM

Filed application 8/31/06
application received 9/6/06
first fingerprinting letter around 9/20/06 asking to come over on 10/18
I missed the first fp appointment, as I moved and didn't realize government letters are not forwarded. USCIS got the fp letter back and thankfully mailed another notice to the new address indicated on the post office sticker. The problem was that the second notice was sent on 11/3 and still had the 10/18 appointment request on it! I mailed it back requesting another date. Got a 11/30 appointment date. Missed it again - couldn't fly out of Europe for three days due to fog. Showed up for a "walk in Wednesday" during the first week of December 2006.
interview letter came around 1/15/07
interview date 2/16/07
got a second letter on 2/15/07, (the day before the interview!) about the interview being pushed to 2/19/07 for unknown reasons - mailed to my old address - USCIS error - I found out from the new owners of my house
ignored the second letter, as I had travel plans for 2/17/07 and decided to take the chance and go on the original day
showed up on 2/16/07 for the interview as if nothing happened, presented the original letter and got it done! No questions about showing up three days early!
was told the ceremony will be held in April
got the oath letter 3/17 for the 4/4 ceremony.
Hope this helps!
Natalia

Thanks Natalia !

We don't seem to have enough data for the Philly DO to do an elaborate tracker like the Washington DO folks do. But here's an humble attempt to organize the data posted in this forum by people with PDs since July. Please feel free to post your timeline if you already haven't and I will update the so-called spreadsheet.

It seems that about 160 +/- 10 days from PD to interview seems to be the norm for Philly. Clearly it has taken a little longer for a few people and others have gone way past the normal interval and are still waiting (probably due to name check).

Based on the norm I would expect to have my interview in late April or early May and my interview letter should arrive anytime from now to mid April. Oh well, one thing USCIS definitely is not, is predictable and so all I can do is hope for the best and wait ... :p

-KM

can somebody please tell me the timings? our neighbor is checking the mail for us and we dont know if the timings are mentioned. we need to fly in from atlanta for the oath in april and to book the tickets we need to know how long it might take. will we be taking a risk if we book the tickets departing at 5.30 p.m.? in which case we might have to leave by 3.30 p.m.???

thanks for your input.

Hello Bmw323,

The timings in the oath letters looks like it would take sometime between 1:30 to 4:00 pm. 1:30 pm to report to the station and then they will do the video, etc. So that would leave you with an hour and half to make it to the airport in time for your flight.

Good luck!

Thanks Natalia !

We don't seem to have enough data for the Philly DO to do an elaborate tracker like the Washington DO folks do. But here's an humble attempt to organize the data posted in this forum by people with PDs since July. Please feel free to post your timeline if you already haven't and I will update the so-called spreadsheet.

It seems that about 160 +/- 10 days from PD to interview seems to be the norm for Philly. Clearly it has taken a little longer for a few people and others have gone way past the normal interval and are still waiting (probably due to name check).

Based on the norm I would expect to have my interview in late April or early May and my interview letter should arrive anytime from now to mid April. Oh well, one thing USCIS definitely is not, is predictable and so all I can do is hope for the best and wait ... :p

-KM

You can add my wife to your spreadsheet:
same dates as me, except no IL fo far - so 175 days now and counting...

Hello Bmw323,

The timings in the oath letters looks like it would take sometime between 1:30 to 4:00 pm. 1:30 pm to report to the station and then they will do the video, etc. So that would leave you with an hour and half to make it to the airport in time for your flight.

Good luck!

I am supposed to report at 1.35 pm. Its supposed to be over by 4 pm, but then you will have 3000 people scrambling to get out. In addition, it will be rush hour....

I am supposed to report at 1.35 pm. Its supposed to be over by 4 pm, but then you will have 3000 people scrambling to get out. In addition, it will be rush hour....

Thanks hudhud and drjochen for replying.

We could contact our neighbor and he said that our letter told to report no more than 30 mins before 9.40 a.m. and it should be over by noon. We haven't received the letters yet from the neighbor. So we booked the tickets last nite leaving at 6. Now I am just hoping that there are 2 sessions one in the morning and one in the afternoon. We had our interview on Jan 4th. So maybe we are in the morning session.

Does anyone know if CIS arranges files in an order of receipt of Forms or based on priority dates? I.e. do they delay processing if PD is two-three months after N-400 is filed?

I have filed on June 06, but my priority not untill August 13th. Should I be comparing myself to people with my priority date or date of filing?

Thanks,

Does anyone know if CIS arranges files in an order of receipt of Forms or based on priority dates? I.e. do they delay processing if PD is two-three months after N-400 is filed?

I have filed on June 06, but my priority not untill August 13th. Should I be comparing myself to people with my priority date or date of filing?

Generally PD is the date that counts because that is when you application entered the processing pipeline. But are you sure your PD is 08/13 ? I see that you got your FP done in July and so how did you get a FP letter before your case was even in their system ? Maybe your case got transferred or something but that is quite strange.

- KM

Thanks Kagemusha. Let's see if I can get terminology right. What is priority date, is it 90 days before my 5 years up or actual day that 5 year (or 3 depending on one's facts) since my 485 was approved. I got my 485 approved in August therefore 90 days before is May.

I could not see any reference to a PD on the form, so I assume it is a term people use on the forum for convenience?

Thanks Kagemusha. Let's see if I can get terminology right. What is priority date, is it 90 days before my 5 years up or actual day that 5 year (or 3 depending on one's facts) since my 485 was approved. I got my 485 approved in August therefore 90 days before is May.

I could not see any reference to a PD on the form, so I assume it is a term people use on the forum for convenience?

I was referring to the priority date listed in your notice about receipt of the N-400 application. That is what determines your priority. The date when your 485 was approved has nothing to do with the citizenship process as long as you satisfy the 5 year (or 3 year) requirement and the other continuous residency requirements.

- KM

Last edited by a moderator:
KM, made me look. It states priority date is June 9, 2006, the date they received my application. Have read the notice again, it states that I should expect to receive a notification in 365 days. Lovely.

Now I know where to place myself agains other folks.

Thanks,

I spoke to 1-800 number. Apparently the person I spoke to was not an Immigration Officer (IO) (I am not sure if IOs do not answer the calls or just my luck) as a result he could not give me any details on my case, but instead requested referral (I assume request info on my case). I understand that they are only allowed to see what we see (not very helpful cause we know that we see rubbish). He suggested that I go to INFOPASS for an appointment where I should be able to speak to an immigration office who can actually look into my case.

Question, during INFOPASS appointment, should I ask to make sure that person I speak to is IO or it is always a case (if person is not IO, I will be waisting my time)? Further when requesting INFOPASS, should I request an update on my case or should I request to speak to an IO?

Thanks
VCS

PD 6/9/06
IL ???

Infopass is totally waste time

MichaelDE,

I went to Philadephia DO several times, and met with different officers (they are called information officer). Some are really bad, bad adittute, less experienced. It took one office almost 20 minutes to find my case in the computer (she just kept typing the wrong place, seemed not familiar with computer keyboard at all). They basically tell you the same thing you see online. But if you case is transferred to their office, they might give you more information, otherwise, you won't get any information at all. But it is worth to try to see if your case is transferred to there or not. You may be lucky. They cannot do anything, nor asking vermont for updates, nor initialing file transfer. They just ask you to wait.

N-400, 5/25/06 filed,
FP, 6/10/06
IL, ???????

Thanks Kenttina,

I have cancelled my Philadelphia INFOPASS, and will try to set up one for Dover. Even though they may not do actual interviews, perhaps I will get to speak to someone helpful, and even an Immigration Officer vs. Information Offiicer. Will let you know how it went.

Any updates, anyone ? I mean those still waiting for IL :p I guess there aren't too many of us who come under the Philly DO (at least out of the ones who post on this forum, compared to some other DOs).

- KM