Philadelphia Backlog Elimination Center Tracking

7th yr H1B, questions on options

I am currently on the seventh year H1B extension and my 7th year H1 B expires in Jan 2007. I have LC pending with a priority date of July 2002 in EB3 category. I would like to know what options do I have if I want to switch employers at this point. I have the qualifications now to apply under EB2 if I can find a willing employer. I am very tired of my job and tired for LC to complete in EB3 category and would like to move employment. Any information you can share will be much appreciated. Thanks.

luckyPBPCer said:
I am currently on the seventh year H1B extension and my 7th year H1 B expires in Jan 2007. I have LC pending with a priority date of July 2002 in EB3 category. I would like to know what options do I have if I want to switch employers at this point. I have the qualifications now to apply under EB2 if I can find a willing employer. I am very tired of my job and tired for LC to complete in EB3 category and would like to move employment. Any information you can share will be much appreciated. Thanks.

If you are July 2002 Non RIR ( Traditional) then the wait time is not certain. In few months we will know how PBEC moves. One Good thing is that PBEC is approving Non RIR as well. July 2002 is a good PD. I think by end of this year you will know how this moves on. If things donlt improve by Dec 2006 then in Jan 2007 while applying for extension you can transfer to New employer as well

I will advise you to wait and see for atleast few more months

Hi ,
Thanks for bringing my BP down a bit ... can you please tell me how i check for my status in pbec ..i have case id number now ..which i took from the lawyer .
Regards
Shailesh

littleme said:
Should I go for a labor substitution? :confused:

HR calls me today, saying that they just get a new LC approved but the original applicant is no longer in this company( I do not know the PD of it yet) and they want to use it for me. I know there is some discussion going on in the labor department about the labor substitution issue. Is it a little risky if I take this labor substitution today? Plus my own LC application priority date is Nov 1th, 2001 from MD. Should I wait for my LC or go ahead with the substitution. Thanks for any suggestions.

Here is my case details:
------------------------
MD
RIR, EB2
PD = 11/01/2001
Case = P-04271-XXXXX
45 day letter received = March 2005

again, the same type of situation ... if your position is identical to that of the labor sub and requirements are the same, go for it, because you're NOT stopping your old labor. If the labor subs doesn't work out, you still have the old one !!

it's funny, correct me if I'm wrong, but most people think that you have a single shot to certify your labor ... it's NOT true, you can have multiple labors ! it looks like people think the INS keeps a blacklist of applicants or something ...

as long as it's bona fide (meaning, the position exists, the requirements are correct, your skillset matches the requirements), I don't see why there's a problem.

khogaye said:
I am planning to go to PBEC to get my case status. I don't know whethere I will get to meet with someone or not but want to try once.

It is been more than one year since I received 45 days letter. Labor applied in Feb 2001, VA, RIR. It is so frustrating. I would appreciate any input regarding PBEC visit from u folks.

I think even better would be to go to Washington and meet with John Beverly. He seems to be somewhat responsive ... I'm sure if you get to his office, he'll talk to you and will get you the status on the spot, shouldn't be a big deal really.

no EB info in evidence of labor

I received the response to the request of evidence of labor for filing 9th year extension from PBEC. It took one working day for the response. Although the processing type is set to RIR (correctly) but I do not see EB category in this email response. Has EB category already been decided at the time of filing the labor or we can still decide what category it will be at the time of filing I-140?

cantstandit said:
again, the same type of situation ... if your position is identical to that of the labor sub and requirements are the same, go for it, because you're NOT stopping your old labor. If the labor subs doesn't work out, you still have the old one !!

it's funny, correct me if I'm wrong, but most people think that you have a single shot to certify your labor ... it's NOT true, you can have multiple labors ! it looks like people think the INS keeps a blacklist of applicants or something ...

as long as it's bona fide (meaning, the position exists, the requirements are correct, your skillset matches the requirements), I don't see why there's a problem.

Labor substitution from same company between Multiple Labor runs in to problem sometimes unless they are for same Job decsriptions. Filing Multiple labor through other comoany is better option

Talk to your attorney on this point before you do that

EB Category

lekheye said:
I received the response to the request of evidence of labor for filing 9th year extension from PBEC. It took one working day for the response. Although the processing type is set to RIR (correctly) but I do not see EB category in this email response. Has EB category already been decided at the time of filing the labor or we can still decide what category it will be at the time of filing I-140?

EB Category gets decided at the time of filing the labor. The job description decides the EB category.

I am new here. I have been reading this bbs for a few days and was kind scared. People are on 7th, 8th...h1b extension. I am not sure if I have the courage to hang that long.

My pd is feb 2005, filed in VA. I got 45-day letter this Jan.

May miracle happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
wuming said:
I am new here. I have been reading this bbs for a few days and was kind scared. People are on 7th, 8th...h1b extension. I am not sure if I have the courage to hang that long.

May miracle happen.

I also have an old LC PD Feb 2005, no 45 love letter yet.

I have another employer that wants to sponsor me, could I file a PERM with this other employer, while continuing with this old LC. Just to have a plan B on the back just in case one of them fails....

Any idea of good attorneys near Orlando, FL.???
Any idea how much are they charging for filing a PERM??

Thanks to all.... at least we get hope from some experiences...

Case # starting with T

I understand that DBEC cases get case # starting with D- and PBEC case number starts with P-, but I have noticed some posting in the forum where DBEC/PBEC cases got case # starting with T. Does anyone have a clue why some applications have 'T' case number ?
Thanks.
GC-ACHE

Got my case no. and found some errors...

All,
Although I am not an advocate of going for the screen shot but I guess everyone should try it at least once. I requested for one and found out that my name is misspelt. Minor compared to other things I have seen. Sadly my PD is correct. I now have my case no. too.

Question: Can I go in for another labor (which was for another person in my company, who is no longer there with company) dated Dec 2003 and is still pending ? If so (or even if I wait for it to get approved and then go for substitution) can I apply for 485 based on the priority date of the substituted LC ? i.e. Dec 2003 ? Or should I just wait it out ?

thanks,
N :confused:

Go Perm

Seriously, You should get out of this mess and file Labor with Perm Process. I dont see a benefit in your Priority Date. Talk to your lawyer.

wuming said:

May miracle happen.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist Introduced Immigration bill

Pray god something should be there to come out this PBEC shit.

03/17/2006: Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist Introduced to the Senate His Bill Yesterday, 03/16/2006

The Senator introduced his bill yesterday to the Senate bypassing the Senate Judiciary Committee. Surprisingly, this bill include more positive reform for the "legal" immigration, particularly "employment-based" immigration, indeed somewhat better than the Specter's Mark! We are in the process of analyzing part of the bill. As soon as this bill is analyzed, we will post the summary of EB-related provisions. Please stay tuned.

labor substitution

The legislation states that an employer can "amend" a pending labor certification application at any time during its processing at the DOL. This law is about to change in 2006. Probably not before August 2006 and it will be effective on the date it gets the final approval and the cases filed before then for substitution will still be OK, because they were filed before the effective date.

I am in the same situation, my labor cert is May 2004 (I had a 2001 labor certification before but because I got promoted my lawyers screwed me and told me that they needed to file a new one).

About 5 months ago, my employer had an employee who left the firm and there is a labor certification in the works from 2001 still at PBEC. So we filed a labor substitution on that for me because my work experience, education etc fits to that labor certification and my employer is willing to shift me to the new position if that labor certification gets approved. My lawyers say that PBEC is accepting such labor substitutions and supposedly processing them. When they get your substitution request, they probably will see your original labor cert as well and if they find everything in tact, they probably do one of the following:

1. Approve the PD with favorable date and deny the other LC and notify your lawyer/employer
2. Issue another letter requesting information about the reason why two applications exist for the same employee and request additional information (unlikely to happen)
3. Not even be aware that there are two certifications in process for the same employee and approve them both.
4. Deny substitution request because your skills at the time of LC filing does not meet the job requirements (unlikely)

All the above is true if you are in PBEC. For PERM you cant do this.

Hope this helps.

nimraj said:
All,
Although I am not an advocate of going for the screen shot but I guess everyone should try it at least once. I requested for one and found out that my name is misspelt. Minor compared to other things I have seen. Sadly my PD is correct. I now have my case no. too.

Question: Can I go in for another labor (which was for another person in my company, who is no longer there with company) dated Dec 2003 and is still pending ? If so (or even if I wait for it to get approved and then go for substitution) can I apply for 485 based on the priority date of the substituted LC ? i.e. Dec 2003 ? Or should I just wait it out ?

thanks,
N :confused:

Frist Feast Immigration bill - not good for PBEC

TITLE IV – BACKLOG REDUCTION AND VISAS FOR STUDENTS AND ALIENS
WITH ADVANCED DEGREES

Section 401. Elimination of Existing Backlogs.

Section 401 reduces visa backlog waiting times by allowing the recapture of unused visa
numbers and increases the number of employment-based green cards from 140,000 to 290,000.
It also exempts immediate relatives of U.S. citizens from the 480,000 annual cap on familybased
immigration.

Section 402. Country Limits.

Section 402 increases the per-country limits for family-sponsored and employment-based
immigrants are from 7 percent to 10 percent (in the case of countries) and from 2 percent to 5
percent (in the case of dependent areas).

Section 403. Allocation of Immigrant Visas.

The current 480,000 ceiling on family-sponsored immigrants is redistributed among existing
family preference categories. Ten percent is allocated to the first preference -- unmarried sons
and daughters of U.S. citizens. Fifty percent is allocated to the second preference -- spouses and
unmarried sons and daughters of lawful permanent residents, of which seventy-seven percent
such visas will be allocated to spouses and minor children of lawful permanent residents. Ten
percent is allocated to the third preference -- married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Thirty
percent is allocated to the fourth preference -- brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens.
Section 403 restructures visa number availability to provide additional visas for unskilled
workers (who are limited to 5,000/year right now) and other categories where visas have not kept
up with demand. The 290,000 ceiling for employment-based immigrant visas is redistributed
among the employment-based immigrant visa categories and certain modifications are made to
current categories. 15% is allocated to the first preference -- aliens with extraordinary ability,
outstanding professors and researchers, and multinational executives and managers. 15% is
allocated to the second preference -- aliens holding advanced degrees or having exceptional
ability. 35% is allocated to the third preference -- skilled workers and professionals. 5% is
allocated to a re-designated fourth preference – investors. 30% is allocated to a re-designated
fifth preference -- other workers performing labor or services (previously included in third
preference).

Section 405. Student Visas.

Section 405 extends foreign students’ post-curricular Optional Practical Training (and F-1 status)
to 24 months. It also creates a new “F-4” student visa for students pursuing an advanced degree
candidates studying in the fields of math, engineering, technology or the physical sciences. The
new visa would allow eligible students to either to return to their country of origin or remain in
the United States for up to one year and seek employment in their relevant field of study. Once
such a student received such an offer of employment, the individual would be allowed to adjust
status to that of a legal permanent resident once the alien paid a $1,000 fee and completed
necessary security clearances. Eighty percent of this fee would be deposited into a fund for job
training and scholarships for American workers, while twenty percent of the fee would go
toward fraud prevention.

Section 406. Visas for Individuals with Advanced Degrees.

Section 406 exempts from the numerical cap on employment-based visas aliens with advanced
degrees in science, technology, engineering, or math, and has worked in a related field in the US
during the 3 year period preceding their application for adjustment of status. It also exempts
immediate relatives of aliens who are admitted as employment-based immigrants from the
numerical limitations of 203(b). Finally, it increases the available visas numbers for H-1B nonimmigrants
and provides an exemption from the numerical limitation aliens who have earned
advanced degrees in science, technology, engineering, or math. The numerical limitation is also
supplemented with a flexible limitation that is set according to demand for foreign high-skilled
workers.

the last two are just strange and unclear..

LALOO_PRASAD said:
TITLE IV – BACKLOG REDUCTION AND VISAS FOR STUDENTS AND ALIENS
WITH ADVANCED DEGREES

Section 401. Elimination of Existing Backlogs.

Section 401 reduces visa backlog waiting times by allowing the recapture of unused visa
numbers and increases the number of employment-based green cards from 140,000 to 290,000.
It also exempts immediate relatives of U.S. citizens from the 480,000 annual cap on familybased
immigration.

Section 402. Country Limits.

Section 402 increases the per-country limits for family-sponsored and employment-based
immigrants are from 7 percent to 10 percent (in the case of countries) and from 2 percent to 5
percent (in the case of dependent areas).

Section 403. Allocation of Immigrant Visas.

The current 480,000 ceiling on family-sponsored immigrants is redistributed among existing
family preference categories. Ten percent is allocated to the first preference -- unmarried sons
and daughters of U.S. citizens. Fifty percent is allocated to the second preference -- spouses and
unmarried sons and daughters of lawful permanent residents, of which seventy-seven percent
such visas will be allocated to spouses and minor children of lawful permanent residents. Ten
percent is allocated to the third preference -- married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Thirty
percent is allocated to the fourth preference -- brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens.
Section 403 restructures visa number availability to provide additional visas for unskilled
workers (who are limited to 5,000/year right now) and other categories where visas have not kept
up with demand. The 290,000 ceiling for employment-based immigrant visas is redistributed
among the employment-based immigrant visa categories and certain modifications are made to
current categories. 15% is allocated to the first preference -- aliens with extraordinary ability,
outstanding professors and researchers, and multinational executives and managers. 15% is
allocated to the second preference -- aliens holding advanced degrees or having exceptional
ability. 35% is allocated to the third preference -- skilled workers and professionals. 5% is
allocated to a re-designated fourth preference – investors. 30% is allocated to a re-designated
fifth preference -- other workers performing labor or services (previously included in third
preference).

Section 405. Student Visas.

Section 405 extends foreign students’ post-curricular Optional Practical Training (and F-1 status)
to 24 months. It also creates a new “F-4” student visa for students pursuing an advanced degree
candidates studying in the fields of math, engineering, technology or the physical sciences. The
new visa would allow eligible students to either to return to their country of origin or remain in
the United States for up to one year and seek employment in their relevant field of study. Once
such a student received such an offer of employment, the individual would be allowed to adjust
status to that of a legal permanent resident once the alien paid a $1,000 fee and completed
necessary security clearances. Eighty percent of this fee would be deposited into a fund for job
training and scholarships for American workers, while twenty percent of the fee would go
toward fraud prevention.

Section 406. Visas for Individuals with Advanced Degrees.

Section 406 exempts from the numerical cap on employment-based visas aliens with advanced
degrees in science, technology, engineering, or math, and has worked in a related field in the US
during the 3 year period preceding their application for adjustment of status. It also exempts
immediate relatives of aliens who are admitted as employment-based immigrants from the
numerical limitations of 203(b). Finally, it increases the available visas numbers for H-1B nonimmigrants
and provides an exemption from the numerical limitation aliens who have earned
advanced degrees in science, technology, engineering, or math. The numerical limitation is also
supplemented with a flexible limitation that is set according to demand for foreign high-skilled
workers.

nevermind
LALOO_PRASAD said:
Pray god something should be there to come out this PBEC shit.

03/17/2006: Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist Introduced to the Senate His Bill Yesterday, 03/16/2006

The Senator introduced his bill yesterday to the Senate bypassing the Senate Judiciary Committee. Surprisingly, this bill include more positive reform for the "legal" immigration, particularly "employment-based" immigration, indeed somewhat better than the Specter's Mark! We are in the process of analyzing part of the bill. As soon as this bill is analyzed, we will post the summary of EB-related provisions. Please stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator: