Passport ID Card is being issued since Feb 08

Why to send? Go to USPS with your certificate, apply for ID card & show certificate and then you take it back.

I think there is still some details to be ironed out on how this is going to work. I had to drop something at the post office this morning so I took the opportunity to ask a few questions about the passport card:

The post office employee knew about the card, but didn't know much about the corner cases. She was nice enough to go and call someone (Passport Agency, another postal worker?) to ask the questions. The question that prompted her to make the call is that I told her that according to the site one only needs to pay $20 if already in possession of a passport book. However, she told me I would have to mail the application myself and send the passport book along :confused: so if I was planning to take a trip soon that wouldn't be a good idea. She pointed out at March or April for the issuance of the cards.

At first she had told me to provide the naturalization certificate or birth certificate if I was applying for the first time.

I don't think one can apply without sending along proof of citizenship. Have you tried thrix? Were you able to just show the certificate and take it back?

One way or another, I don't see the purpose of sending either the passport or the naturalization certificate for an indeterminate amount of time. I'll wait until they start issuing the passport cards and see what the timeline is. That's in the case that I end up applying for the card.

My 2 cents.

BINGO, Huracan your read my mind

One way or another, I don't see the purpose of sending either the passport or the naturalization certificate for an indeterminate amount of time. I'll wait until they start issuing the passport cards and see what the timeline is. That's in the case that I end up applying for the card.

My 2 cents.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what's on my mind. I thought about it too and will wait for another month or two before these ppl start getting familiar with the process & again like you said, what's the rush :)

Agreed 100% This morning after the visit to the post office I was thinking that on this one I might just let someone else be the "guinea pig". I'll wait until I see some people's experiences in this forum or somewhere else. Specifically I'll track to see if this document becomes an accepted document for access to Federal buildings, airplanes, employer I-9. I don't think I would have much use for it for land crossing as my land crossings are far and between, so I would be mostly interested on the "function creep" uses, i.e. make it easier to identify oneself to authorities as a citizen (i.e. national id card kind of uses). It's funny I say this, as in general I don't like the idea of national id card and function creep, tracking of ordinary citizens. However, my take would be that as this document is not going to be as widespread as a driver license this could actually diminish or eliminate the risk of becoming a de facto national id card, therefore having most of the advantages without so many disadvantages. I think I am starting not to make much sense ;) Anyway, I am still ambivalent about the usefulness of the passport card for me, but on the other hand I'd like to get one ;)

Went to USPS, showed passport, paid fee, kept passport, waiting for card. Passport still in possession.

Hi thrix, I hope you get the passport card and it doesn't happen what occurred to dandan123 (I hope I got the nickname correctly) who was told not to send his child's green card along the passport application and got in a lot of trouble to get that passport. I have found this information in the department of state FAQ. I don't think this particular information was there earlier:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3921.html

If an applicant already has a fully-valid adult passport book issued within the last fifteen years, what form should be used to apply for a passport card?

The applicant can apply for the passport card using either Form DS-82 or Form DS-11. If the applicant chooses to apply using a DS-82, he/she must submit, along with the application, the fully valid passport issued within the last fifteen years, 2 passport photos, and payment to the Department of State in the amount of $20.

If the applicant chooses to apply using a DS-11, he/she must submit a completed Form DS-11 "Application for a U.S. Passport", 2 photos, evidence of citizenship, the application fee for the passport card and the execution fee. These applicants must apply in person at a Passport Application Acceptance Facility. This may be preferable to the applicant if he/she has frequent international travel requiring the use of the passport book.

You know what. I am getting myself this card if I can get it with my natz certificate and you know why.
1. Because I can .... :D
2. It will make it easier later on to apply for a Passport if my Husband get's stationed overseas again
3. I need to fill the empty slot in my wallet where my Green Card used to be :p

I just had to dig out this thread ;) as my projection of when the cards were going to be available was put in doubt (early spring compared to late spring, and I said it was going to be late spring). I got this from the State Department page on the passport card:

Passport card applications are currently being accepted U.S. Passport Cardin anticipation of land border travel document requirements. Based on current projections, we expect to begin production of the passport card in June, and be in full production in July. We will provide additional updates as available.

Yes, passport card is for land and sea travel only. In particular and related to your question:

"The Passport Card: U.S. citizens may begin applying in advance for this new, limited-use, wallet-size passport card beginning February 1, 2008. We expect cards will be available and mailed to applicants in spring 2008. When available it will only be valid for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda."

I'm going to get one even though I don't think I'll ever cross the Northern or Southern borders by land. I'm going to get because it is the only proof of citizenship that can be carried in my wallet.
In America, you're only American at first sight if you're white (before everyone jumps on me, it's my personal opinion based on my personal experiences). I've even been asked what my status was when pulled over for a traffic violation. I doubt the question would've been asked if I were white.
With this card, I can easily prove my citizenship, if the need ever arises. I think everyone should apply for one.

Just remember it's valid for sea and land travel only, so if you travel to the Caribbean by air you'll still need a passport.

Just remember it's valid for sea and land travel only, so if you travel to the Caribbean by air you'll still need a passport.

Thanks for that.....My kids are leaving in June with my mom to go to the Carib and I was telling her that she could get that card to replace her Passport... OMG my mom would have killed me Thank Goodness she never listens to me... Thanks Bobsmyth for the clarification...:D

No, since their primary use is for air-travel. This also applies to trying to pass a land border in a plane on wheels (although I'm sure it hasn't been tried yet).;)

:)

So this is about mode of transport (surface transport versus air transport) and not port of entry.

:)

So this is about mode of transport (surface transport versus air transport) and not port of entry.

That's my guess, unless you want to try to show up at an airport border crossing with a hovercraft and explain to US customs that you're testing the requirements of the new passport card. (I really wouldn't recommend doing that unless you really intend to fail the good moral character test during the interview). :D