Parent's Cases Only: Tracking Thread

Parents Greencard Interview Experience

We went to the Raleigh-Durham USCIS Office around 9 AM . We had a scheduled interview for my mother at 9.30 AM and my dad at 10.15 AM. After entering the USCIS office and completed the Security Checks , we went to the Interview check-in counter. The lady at the checkin counter said she can get both the parents into the same interview room as long as they are married and also gave us the earliest interview time slot of 9.30 AM. We waited in the waiting area for our number to be called and were called in at 9.40 AM.

My parents and I were asked to raise our right hand to take the oath. After completing the oath we were asked a couple of questions .
1) Have I ever sponsored anybody else for GC before other than my parents: No
2) My Parents were asked to answer the questions on the second page (Polygamy , convictions , espionage ..) of the I-485 Application
3) The Officer verfied my Address information and name information
4) The Officer took both my parents I-94 forms from the passport and stapled it to the I-485 Application.
5) He asked if my parents have an SSN . I told him that my dad has received an SSN since he has a EAD but my mom doesnot have one since we didnot apply for EAD. He has updated the SSN information on my Dad's I-485 Application.
6) He took my Dad's EAD and put it in the trash and let us know that we should be getting a 10 Year card in the mail in a few weeks.
7) He put a Approved Stamp on both my parents I-130/I-485 App and entered that information into the computer.

We were all done my 10 AM and left the USCIS office. The officer was joking that his parent's were from Ireland and were ruled by the same people (Brit's) as I was originally from India. The Officer was cool and was constantly trying to engage my 2.5 Year old daughter who was little naughty! Overall the process was smooth , the only concern I had learned after joining this forum was that my parents came to the U.S on April 13th 2009 and I have applied for them on May 7th 2009 and was less than 30 days from the time of visiting U.S. Looks like that there is no waiting period to apply for a GC under the Immediate Relative Category according to many folks. The officer was amazed that the whole GC process to the interview was completed in less than three months , which exceeded my expectations as I was expecting this to take around 12-18 months based on the published processing times for the Raleigh-Durham Office which has one of the highest 485 backlogs in the U.S.

Thanks everyone for your support on this forum !!

Congrats Second stage

Congrats Second stage and Convey my best wishes to your parents...I am happy for you.

Vasu

Parents AOS Interview - GC approved...

The Tampa office is located on West Cypress Street. Arrived about 30 min earlier and they had plenty of parking space.

My parents were interviewed together even though they both had separate interview slots.

After we 3 were sworn-in, we sat down with the IO for about 15 minutes.

Qs asked to my parents:

1. What is your name?
2. State your DOB(Date of Birth).
3. State your parents name.
4. State your current address.
5. Four or Five questions from the I-485 form.
6. How many kids do you have? Where do they live?
7. Asked for birth certificate(NABC) and affidavits.
8. Asked for passports.

Qs for me:

1. How many siblings I had? Where do they live?
2. Asked for my birth certificate and affidavits. [I volunteered to show my U.S passport(the IO briefly glanced it) ]
3. State my DOB.
4. Any additional documents to prove parent-child relationship [ I told IO that all the evidence I had was submitted along with the application ]

Overall, the interview process was smooth. The IO was stern all along the while but the IO paid special attention to the birth certifications(NABC) and the affidavits we submitted.

The IO stamped my parents passport with temporary I-551 stamp that's valid for a year.

Any other questions? please post them here and I'll reply back...

Mom's I-485 is approved and as per LUD welcome letter is dispatched..

Mom's I-485 is approved and as per LUD welcome letter is dispatched..

Wow..I couldn't believe my eyes when i am checking my mom's I-485 status today and I saw that Yesterday USCIS sent welcome letter ...

Thank god for smooth process...Good luck to all who are all waiting for approvals.

thanks
Vasu

Last edited by a moderator:
How much time to respond to RFE?

Based on an e-mail note, I have RFE on the way for I-130 & I-485. Not sure what it is about but wanted to find out how much time is normally granted by USCIS within which one has to respond.

uk01-based on what I have seen from the forum-it is 30 days

Rox,

Thanks for a prompt response. That helps. I am a little surprised by the fact that RFE has been issued more than 5 weeks after the case was transferred to CSC. Generally the trend I have seen on this forum is that RFEs are issued before the case gets transferred to CSC. I will know for sure in a day or so. It could well be for the BCs obtained from CGI which were sent without Non Availability of BC and affidavits.

yes could be-I sent BC from CGI San Francisco along with affidivits from my mothers sisters-I sent my application 5 days before you did-so far no RFE yet. My application was transferred to CSC on June 20th. Good luck

D/O: Phoenix
05/26/2009 : Sent AOS for Mother(I-130,I-131,I-485,I-765)
6/08/2009 : Received NOAs
6/12/2009 and 6/19/2009: FP done -> walk -in
6/20/2009: Transfer to CSC
07/05/2009 : I-131(AP) received in the mail
07/12/2009 : I-765(EAD) received in the mail

yes could be-I sent BC from CGI San Francisco along with affidivits from my mothers sisters-I sent my application 5 days before you did-so far no RFE yet. My application was transferred to CSC on June 20th. Good luck

D/O: Phoenix
05/26/2009 : Sent AOS for Mother(I-130,I-131,I-485,I-765)
6/08/2009 : Received NOAs
6/12/2009 and 6/19/2009: FP done -> walk -in
6/20/2009: Transfer to CSC
07/05/2009 : I-131(AP) received in the mail
07/12/2009 : I-765(EAD) received in the mail

Thanks. I am getting ready to answer the RFE. On another note, I wanted to check with you about the format of the BC from SFO. Do they also include some language noting that the certificate is provided because it was not mandatory for those born before year yyyy and so on? The BC from Chicago simply states the name, dob, passport details forming the basis of dob etc. but no mention of the Non-availability reason.

uk01,

The BC from CGI-SFO was exactly the same format that you described from Chicago

Regards

Rox

Can parents be denied of GC?

Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding GC for my parents. My brother has filed AOS for them in october/november 2008 while they were in the US (and they still are here). They did their fingerprints, and everything went fine.

But on the uscis website, the last time they "touched" my parents' case was in 1/26/2009. And till today, it is still untouched/updated..

I was wondering if it might be possible that my parents would be denied of GC. Did it ever happen to anyone's parents? Why such a long wait? Is there something wrong or it is just the process?:confused:

Of course, when I checked other people's timelines, their parents or in-laws got their gc sooo fast :D . So I am somehow panicking/worried for my parents... :(

Any help will be great...

Thank you for your time,

redpepper1

Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding GC for my parents. My brother has filed AOS for them in october/november 2008 while they were in the US (and they still are here). They did their fingerprints, and everything went fine.

But on the uscis website, the last time they "touched" my parents' case was in 1/26/2009. And till today, it is still untouched/updated..

I was wondering if it might be possible that my parents would be denied of GC. Did it ever happen to anyone's parents? Why such a long wait? Is there something wrong or it is just the process?:confused:

Of course, when I checked other people's timelines, their parents or in-laws got their gc sooo fast :D . So I am somehow panicking/worried for my parents... :(

Any help will be great...

Thank you for your time,

redpepper1

Hi redpepper1,
I did AOS for my parents also in Dec-08, and they received the GC by end of Mar-09 (about 4 months total). I suggest you do infopass right away to find out about your parents case. It should not take this long. Good luck.

Guys,
I received an interview request for my mother's case.I was kind of surprised to get it as my father's case has been approved without any interviews. My father received his card about a month or so ago,the whole process took less than 3 months but it is taking longer for my mother's case.
So here are my questions,my mother has overstayed her visa for about 3 or so years.What kind of questions are expected to be asked at the interview? Is this a regular procedure or are interviews requested for problematic cases?
Any feedback will be appreciated.
thanks

My mom also overstayed but she didn't need to go for an interview. I guess interviews are really just randomly chosen.