ok to apply for passport right after oath?

M92Denver

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

Is it ok to apply for US passport right after the oath ceremony? Or should I wait until the next day?

Any experiences from others who have applied the same day?
(you can see that I am not impatient to get done with all this... :)

M92Denver

wow, one day (not even a full day) makes that much difference?

Seriously though, as soon as you got your Naturalization paper, I don't think there is anything preventing you from applying for passport.

Hi everyone,

Is it ok to apply for US passport right after the oath ceremony? Or should I wait until the next day?

Any experiences from others who have applied the same day?
(you can see that I am not impatient to get done with all this... :)

M92Denver

If you urgently need it you can apply same day.

I had my oath ceremony a couple of days back, on May 19th and I applied for passport the same day... waiting for a day, week, month, year, has no rational as you are a US citizen now!

Apply whenever you like. However before you mail your Naturalization certificate with the application take a black and white copy of it just in case. That is why I personally would not apply for a passport at the actual Oath ceremony, but would go back home first and then to the local post office.

Well, considering that they take away your green card I would say that everyone urgently needs a passport, right? How would you travel if an emergency comes up?

Many people don't need to travel outside the country urgently and therefore don't need a passport right away.

The expedited pport can be obtained in 2-7 days if you have proof of an impending trip. Pretty much no one has such a life threatening emergency that they can't delay the process by one day from what is reported here.

If you are really keen you can make a photo copy and then apply for pport the same day as the oath. Depends what time your oath ceremony ends and how close the passport agency or the eligible post office is to your location. You may have to fill out the passport application the prev day and keep it in the car while you complete the oath. Some people are just not comfortable filling out the appl before the oath is done.

I applied for my passport the very next morning after I had my naturalization ceremony.
I applied at the national passport agency, and got my passport within a few hours since I had to travel almost immediately. So it's possible...

Make sure you take a photocopy of the certificate before submitting it to Passport office (On same day of oath or any other date). There are very rare cases where certificate is lost and without photocopy, it will be hard to get duplicate (Which is very big PITA in itself)

Even though certificate says you can not photocopy, you can do it for backup purposes. You just can not use it in place of original where original is requested.

I applied for my passport the very next morning after I had my naturalization ceremony.
I applied at the national passport agency, and got my passport within a few hours since I had to travel almost immediately. So it's possible...

I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can do the same thing. Being that next week is a short holiday week, I booked a trip out of the country knowing I only had to use a few vacation days to get the whole week off. My oath is today at 3:00pm and I have an appointment at a passport agency office at 7:00am tomorrow, talk about cutting it close.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can do the same thing. Being that next week is a short holiday week, I booked a trip out of the country knowing I only had to use a few vacation days to get the whole week off. My oath is today at 3:00pm and I have an appointment at a passport agency office at 7:00am tomorrow, talk about cutting it close.

Good planning. Make sure to take evidence of your trip just in case.

Here is what i am thinking about doing on day-before and on the day of Oath.

- Complete the PP application a day before the Oath.
- Take the PP application and necessary document needed for applying PP to oath ceremony
- Complete the oath and get the Naturalization certificate.
- Walk into Fedex Kinkos and make a color copy of Naturalization certificate.
- Run into Postoffice(which accept the passport) and submit the application for passport. I believe they accept application until 4:30 P.M., so i think we have plenty of time.

- Kris-colorado

Here is what i am thinking about doing on day-before and on the day of Oath.

- Complete the PP application a day before the Oath.
- Take the PP application and necessary document needed for applying PP to oath ceremony
- Complete the oath and get the Naturalization certificate.
- Walk into Fedex Kinkos and make a color copy of Naturalization certificate.
- Run into Postoffice(which accept the passport) and submit the application for passport. I believe they accept application until 4:30 P.M., so i think we have plenty of time.

- Kris-colorado

Making a color copy of the Naturalization Certificate is a criminal crime. during Oath they willtell you that. Do not make that mistake.