OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Guys - I am really getting tense here - Is there anyone in my boat!
Anyone who has applied ONLY for SC to Washington DC Consulate ?
Sent it on June 16, Went there to Downtown DC consulate July 14th (was told there are several in the Queue, so please dont bother to inquire).
When colleague went there to pick up her passport, in that window she heard them say that even for those who submitted in consulate, do not come for atleast 4 weeks.
Need some info !!!

Rox, At this time your only option is to wait. I think they are over whelmed with OCI/SC applications due to new changes in law. I gues due to few who broke the law caused Indian Govt. to enforce new laws.

Rox, At this time your only option is to wait. I think they are over whelmed with OCI/SC applications due to new changes in law. I gues due to few who broke the law caused Indian Govt. to enforce new laws.

Yes, I am on the same boat and My passport received in DC on 6/1/10 and I sent few emails and calls are going nowhere. Yesterday i received an email reply back stating that 'check with your mail and your passport is sent by UPS'. No tracking # or date. that is too scary message. I checked the UPS status and no passport in pending status to my zip code. There were only 2 oci items in UPS from 6/1 to 7/21 and both in delivered status. None of them are mine.

Can anyone suggest what action can be taken next, please?

Kailashrathi - did u get passports then? I received an email yesterday telling that 'check your mail, we have sent your passport by UPS'. No tracking # or date given. I checked UPS status by reference. there is nothing pending to my zipcode. calls are not going anywhere. Will you please suggest what should be the next action based on your experience.

Krajah - when did u sent the passport for stamping? what is the current status? My passport recd in DC on 6/1 and no idea where it is.

Krajah - when did u sent the passport for stamping? what is the current status? My passport recd in DC on 6/1 and no idea where it is.

Not yet. I have long time to go.
Mailed OCI App to DC - 6/28
Received by Embassy - 6/29
Acknowledged - 7/21 (status - under process)
However, I got my old Indian passports cancelled way back when applied for multi enty 10 year Tourist Visa. Since the law changed (only Entry Visa for former Indian Nationals), I decided to apply for OCI.

Kailashrathi - did u get passports then? I received an email yesterday telling that 'check your mail, we have sent your passport by UPS'. No tracking # or date given. I checked UPS status by reference. there is nothing pending to my zipcode. calls are not going anywhere. Will you please suggest what should be the next action based on your experience.

Aykara,
I did get my passport back. If you have paid them $20 to get ur documents back, then they should provide u with UPS tracking #. Look at my email (in my earlier post) and CC all big wigs in Ministry of External Affairs (scare tactic) and tell them you have to provide Tracking #.
Thats what i did to make them investigate.

Thank you very much VM. What is the progress on your case? Eager to read your post with progress.

I am waiting for the mercy, to send me back the documents and passport for me and my famiily for a month now, so I can restart the whole process.
Actually, I did the most idiotic mistake where no one in this forum has done it or will do it. Actually, it triggered me only after reading your confusion between I and 1. That whole day I was thinking only one thing why your app # starts with USA and mine as IND. When I started playing with OCI app online, I realized that I have choosen wrong "Mission Office" for which my app was returned again and again for wrong jurisdiction. I cannot resubmit till I receive my Indian passport. I was so cautious to check again and again the whole set of documents/packet before sending them but it never ever striked me that I did something wrong at very inital step. The story ends here.

Yes, I am on the same boat and My passport received in DC on 6/1/10 and I sent few emails and calls are going nowhere. Yesterday i received an email reply back stating that 'check with your mail and your passport is sent by UPS'. No tracking # or date. that is too scary message. I checked the UPS status and no passport in pending status to my zip code. There were only 2 oci items in UPS from 6/1 to 7/21 and both in delivered status. None of them are mine.

Can anyone suggest what action can be taken next, please?
Thanks Aykara - Did you send ONLY the indian passports only for the Surrender Cert ?
Kailashrathi - can you please tell us how to send those emails and where ? if you like, please send me a personal message!
man - this is getting really dense!

Aykara,
I did get my passport back. If you have paid them $20 to get ur documents back, then they should provide u with UPS tracking #. Look at my email (in my earlier post) and CC all big wigs in Ministry of External Affairs (scare tactic) and tell them you have to provide Tracking #.
Thats what i did to make them investigate.

Thanks kailashrathi - I have sent another email today with cc to all (copying from your post).

Thanks Aykara - Did you send ONLY the indian passports only for the Surrender Cert ?
Kailashrathi - can you please tell us how to send those emails and where ? if you like, please send me a personal message!
man - this is getting really dense!

linuxrox - I sent my OCI application with Indian Passport. Everything went right until I sent my US Passports. Now waiting for the US Passports and cancelled Indian passports. waiting since 1-Jun-10.

Alright guys - on the STROKE of 5th week today, I received my indian passports back. I applied ONLY for Renunciation cert - and they refused - as I did not include copies of Nat Cert and US passport. So there you go - I am going to now apply with OCI application. I shall send the OCI and the renunciation in one packet - lets see how that goes.

Alright guys - on the STROKE of 5th week today, I received my indian passports back. I applied ONLY for Renunciation cert - and they refused - as I did not include copies of Nat Cert and US passport. So there you go - I am going to now apply with OCI application. I shall send the OCI and the renunciation in one packet - lets see how that goes.

linuxrox:
Sorry to hear the status......
Good luck with the OCI application process.
Make sure you print 3 of 4 copies when you reach the final page where it says "Save"..... Well, whoever did the web site, had unclear requirements and coded the "Save" action to "Print".....
Clicking the "Save" actually prints to your printer..... I saved it to a PDF file and printed them.
This will print Part-A, Part-B completely..... You can use one of the Part-B copies and ignore the rest.
If you are applying "Family Group" it is better to use a separate Word document to submit answers for Questions 18, 19 and 21.
Once you have signed the 2 sets of Part-A and Part-B take a photocopy of these for your file.

As there was a family medical situation in India, I had to do a quick, emergency visa via Travisa last week and got a 1-year mutliple-entry. This was just a back-up.... in case......
As I got the Indian PP cancelled with that process, I have submitted my OCI packet (Family) this week..... Hoping that they don't find any weird reasons to send my packets back....

Good luck,
V!!

linuxrox

Do not send OCI app with Renunciation application with in DC, i did same mistake, well, they didn;t specify it in website nor did they reply me to the email i send about it. But they resfused OCI application and asking to get passport renunciation first.
Looks like they have also updated the website in last couple of days

thanks jaiGC - the ever changing embassy site clearly said that now:
"IMPORTANT NOTE:

All Naturalized US Citizens of Indian Descent: Please obtain SURRENDER CERTIFICATE berfore applying for OCI service.

Please provide Surrender Certificate for your last held Indian Passport before applying for OCI. If the application is received without the surrender certificate, application would be returned to sender at sender's cost. "

Guys - do you know what is endorsement page?
3. Copy of US Passport (First two pages & endorsement page)

Endorsement page is last page (last page prior to inside back cover). I think page 24 which should have something like 'Amendments and Endorsements" printed. Basically first two pages and last two pages.

What is wrong with these guys in the embassies/consulates.....
DC was one site that allowed SC and OCI together.... Now they want it to be done separately...... They don't accept applications in person....

Looks like same confusion in NY site also.... They had opened up SC and OCI combined applications... then started returning/contacting people that they are missing their SC...

Guys - do you know what is endorsement page?
3. Copy of US Passport (First two pages & endorsement page)

Pages 25, 26 and 27 of the US passport are meant for any endorsements.
If you see the last line of Page that has your picture and name et al in your US passport, it will say "Endorsements" SEE PAGE 27..

Good luck,
V!

I am waiting for the mercy, to send me back the documents and passport for me and my famiily for a month now, so I can restart the whole process.
Actually, I did the most idiotic mistake where no one in this forum has done it or will do it. Actually, it triggered me only after reading your confusion between I and 1. That whole day I was thinking only one thing why your app # starts with USA and mine as IND. When I started playing with OCI app online, I realized that I have choosen wrong "Mission Office" for which my app was returned again and again for wrong jurisdiction. I cannot resubmit till I receive my Indian passport. I was so cautious to check again and again the whole set of documents/packet before sending them but it never ever striked me that I did something wrong at very inital step. The story ends here.

VM, So Sorry to hear this. After all that waiting and re-submitting now you have to play the waiting game again.

I would suggest you try calling them, If you keep trying at different times of the day, you will get thru,
then maybe you can discuss your problems and have them return your package.

New rules: All Naturalized US Citizens of Indian Descent: Please obtain SURRENDER CERTIFICATE berfore applying for OCI service.

Please provide Surrender Certificate for your last held Indian Passport before applying for OCI. If the application is received without the surrender certificate, application would be returned to sender at sender's cost.

Does this mean that they will return my application along with the certified checks I had sent with the application? The previous website instructions said that we should send our Indian passport with the OCI application for cancellation, if I remember right.

Dan

Frustration continues ...

New rules: All Naturalized US Citizens of Indian Descent: Please obtain SURRENDER CERTIFICATE berfore applying for OCI service.

Please provide Surrender Certificate for your last held Indian Passport before applying for OCI. If the application is received without the surrender certificate, application would be returned to sender at sender's cost.

Does this mean that they will return my application along with the certified checks I had sent with the application? The previous website instructions said that we should send our Indian passport with the OCI application for cancellation, if I remember right.

Dan

Sorry to say, but yes it will be returned ... 1 month later. Sent my OCI and Ren. together at the end of June and just got it back in mail today, saying that I need a surrender certificate first. You should seriously consider getting your UPS packet intercepted and returned to you before it reaches the Embassy. Call UPS.

I have a print out from their website and it says that you can do OCI and Ren. together. Now the site has changed. I spent 4 late-nights to make sure that I followed the instructions exactly ... and now they changed the rules, again.

Now it will be 1 month for surrender certificate and 4 months for OCI.

OUTSOURCE OCI APPLICATIONS TOO, INDIAN EMBASSY!!