OCI - Washington DC Tracker

are they processing a family's application separately for each fam member? i thought the whole point of applying as a family was that you are grouped together.

I wish someone in the embassy can explain that as well. Frustrating!!

Update - Kid's doc's arrive in DC - Jun 17th.

Sam, I sent $20 for mailing charges (for all 4 applicants). Now that the kid's docs are ready, I was thinking of sending their PP with a cover letter explaining that the postage fee of $20 was already paid. Sound alright? I guess I will have to send additional postage for myself & my wife whenever they are ready.

Guys,

Please help. I badly need your suggestions. I have sent my OCI application on 04/05/10 along with my wife application in the same cover. She received her OCI card and all the stuff on 05/06/10. Mine stuck forever, No changes in status except GRANTED on 04/23/10.

Now here is the problem. I have sent OCI application along with my india passports as per their reqirements. I have family health issue. I badly and urgently need to go india to take care of my family. I am totally confused with this process. I have patiently waited for more then 1 1/2 month so far and nothing happened. I called the following OCI washingtom DC numbers 100 times and no one picks up.

202-939-9860,202-939-9861,202-939-9862,202-939-9835,202-939-9836

Is there way I can travel to india? I have my american passport with me. Since my india passports are stuck with my OCI application. I don't know what to do. Please help.

Thanks
Sam

Update - Kid's doc's arrive in DC - Jun 17th.

Sam, I sent $20 for mailing charges (for all 4 applicants). Now that the kid's docs are ready, I was thinking of sending their PP with a cover letter explaining that the postage fee of $20 was already paid. Sound alright? I guess I will have to send additional postage for myself & my wife whenever they are ready.

Dude, you did what they asked you to do. Now if they did not process all the applications together its still your fault, yes I should've said its their fault but unfortunately you can't win here.

I would say just send kids passports without mentioning anything about postage fees or your cases to get at least kids process completed. They separated the cases and looks like they want to deal with it separately, so you do the same as well. I am sure they will ask you to pay money if they want it, but if you are not in hurry please do not mess with what you already have got.

My 2 cents...

Last edited by a moderator:
summitman

Emergency is an emergency, gather the evidence to prove it and visit Indian Embassy in DC, I hope they will help you out with issuing the same day VISA which is what you need at the moment and forget OCI for now ... just take care of your family ...

All the best.

Summitman,
An entry visa is your best option given the emergency. Not sure where you are located, but a trip to DC would be ideal. Or, you can call travisa, and explain to them. They seem to be very helpful. They can also talk to the the embassy guys and get back to you if they need some clarification. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Thank you so much everyone helping everyone on this forum. I am visiting DC last week of June on a business trip. Please tell me , where to go or how to approach. Does anyone has travisa phone or email.

Chola,

You were mentioned about entry visa. Where can I find details. Sorry bother you guys.

Finally , my understanding is that I DON'T need India passport to visit INDIA. Please confirm.

Thank you so much everyone.

Visit the following links and spend some quality time, you will get all the information you need, e.g. where to go, how to approach, what documents you would need, Entry Visa Details ... all of it.

http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/visa.asp

https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/homepage

https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/guidelines?id=5

Yes, you don't need Indian Passport to visit INDIA, but you do need "Canceled" Indian Passports to get a VISA to visit India ... tricky I know but thats how system works.

Sam,
But my india passport are stuck with my OCI application. Then how can I get "CANCELLED" india passports.

My whole point of getting india visa because of OCI application is stuck.

Sam,

Thanks for the links I will spend good bit of time before I apply. You know , if we make a small mistake, how is india embassy is. So I don't want to take chance with US paspport.

Read the website well. Then call Travisa, and explain your situation. They will pull your Indian PP out from the Embassy if they have to.
Good luck.

All the best Summitman, just follow the instructions carefully, you should be able to get the VISA and like chola said, travisa has ability to pull the passports from Embassy and that is the whole purpose for recommending you to go to DC personally so you could get everything done in a day rather than waiting for 1-2 weeks.

Dear Friends,

Please support the petition opposing renunciation of Indian citizenship at

http://www.petitiononline.com/OCIpeti/petition.html

with the subject: Opposition to mandatory renunciation of Indian Citizenship and request to consider OCI as a "standalone" document and make it a success by posting atleast 50000 signatures by July 15 2010.

Please circulate this url to all your friends by email.

Regards,

Deepak

summitman, while you are at the embassy, make sure you go after your oci as well.
they might get that going as well for you - definitely worth trying.

summitman, i would suggest you make a noise about it as you are on week #12. They shouldn't be able to give you an excuse.

Thank you all. You are all such a great people. I have printed my entry visa online. I am going to apply today by mail. When I am in DC on 30th of this month. I will walk in personally and enquiry about it.

Thanks

sam, i;m getting ready to send my kid's pp. do you think we will get it back by next fri?
'cos we cld be in & out the week after.....don't want to miss the mail man.