OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Update

I mailed the application on Oct 25th , still it's not appearing online status. And this is already more than a week since I mailed the OCI application, any idea when can I expect my case online ?

TIA.

May be this helps. It takes about 2 weeks to acknowledge and about 40+ days to process from that date. Here is mine:

Received at Embassy: 09/15/08 (USPS confirmation)
Date Of Acknowledgment 24-SEP-2008
Application Status
Registration Status Granted On 22-OCT-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On 22-OCT-2008
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 23-OCT-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 27-OCT-2008
Documents Received at WASHINGTON On 04-NOV-2008

May be this helps. It takes about 2 weeks to acknowledge and about 40+ days to process from that date.

Thanks, it means I should expect my case to appear online by this Friday 11/8.

Just now found my case appeared online . Even though it is Nov 4th night here in US and early morning in India on Nov 5th ( 6 AM), the date of acknowledgement is appearing as 05-NOV-2008.

I think I can expect my document to be received in DC office by this month end.

Checklist for OCI application for Washington

Hi all

I have applied for my US passport and still waiting on it. But before applying for OCI , I wanted to keep all the documents ready .

So

1) Can anyone share the checklist of documents for Washington D.C
2) Has anyone on this board applied for himself/herself and also for their kids with PIO. I have kids who have a PIO card and was wondering of adding them into the OCI application form
3) So if someone has done the above, what is the document checklist for that type of application

Thanks

Hi all

I have applied for my US passport and still waiting on it. But before applying for OCI , I wanted to keep all the documents ready .

So

1) Can anyone share the checklist of documents for Washington D.C
2) Has anyone on this board applied for himself/herself and also for their kids with PIO. I have kids who have a PIO card and was wondering of adding them into the OCI application form
3) So if someone has done the above, what is the document checklist for that type of application

Thanks

Please read the instructions at http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/oci.asp before asking such broad questions. It's better to make your own list and post it here for verification, rather than expect other people to do all the work for you.

OCI Journey Completed.

Colts07 (sp and kid):

Mailed to Washington DC - 09/20/08
Date Of ACK - 09/26/08
Photo/Signature Scanned - 10/22/08
Registration Status Granted On 10/22/08
Documents Printed: 10/23/08
Documents Despatched From Delhi On: 10/27/08
Documents Received at WASHINGTON:11/04/08
Passport (US/Indian) mailed to DC:11/12/08
Passports (US/Cancellled Indian/OCI Booklet) Received from Embassy on:11/21/08

New OCI application, need help

Hi all

I have been seeing this forum and saw that some of you got your OCI, congrats to all of you.

I am going to start my journey soon. Just recieved my Us passport and now planning to start my OCI application.

I read through all the instructions. I had some questions, hope someone can help/guide me.

My spouse and I am planning to apply for OCI along with my 2 kids in one form, but my kids have PIO, so can they be eligible for OCI and also can i fill out their information in the same form or do I have to make 4 different application.

Also my spouse has sent out his passport for tourist visa and his indian passport will be surrendered when he gets his tourist visa, will it cause any problems with OCI as OCI application need Indian passport copy as one of its required document .

Please advise

Hi all

I have been seeing this forum and saw that some of you got your OCI, congrats to all of you.

I am going to start my journey soon. Just recieved my Us passport and now planning to start my OCI application.

I read through all the instructions. I had some questions, hope someone can help/guide me.

My spouse and I am planning to apply for OCI along with my 2 kids in one form, but my kids have PIO, so can they be eligible for OCI and also can i fill out their information in the same form or do I have to make 4 different application.

Also my spouse has sent out his passport for tourist visa and his indian passport will be surrendered when he gets his tourist visa, will it cause any problems with OCI as OCI application need Indian passport copy as one of its required document .

Please advise

Yes, all 4 of you can apply together as a 'family' application. Just follow the online application instructions and pick the 'Family Group' option. It'll step you through details of each of you - there will be 4 separate forms (called Part A), but all can be submitted together as a single application. When you come to your kids' details, it will ask whether they have PIO where you can respond accordingly.

Your husband's Indian passport will be canceled and returned to him - surrender doesn't mean that you don't get it back.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Please advise

They use the wrong term, 'surrender'. They should simply say 'submit for cancellation'. 'Surrender' does imply giving up a document for good. That's not the case here. In this case, we get the cancelled passport back.

I was under the impression that a former indian citizen has to "surrender" the indian passport for cancellation before applying for the OCI, oherwise there are complication in the OCI process.

vik_b

I was under the impression that a former indian citizen has to "surrender" the indian passport for cancellation before applying for the OCI, oherwise there are complication in the OCI process.

vik_b

Most (all?) people on this forum have had their Indian passports canceled at the time of getting their U-visa stickers on the US passports. Hence it is not true that your passports need to be canceled before applying for OCI.

I had just obtained my US citizenship so I am little unware of the terminology. Could someone please elaborate on this "U visa ".

I though U visa is an exceptional case for victim of crimes. For most former indian citizens it is OCI or some kind of tourist/work visa. In all of the normal visa indian passport should have been cancelled.

vik_b

I am not a lawyer. Please treat my comments appropriately.

PD 7/29/08
FP 8/23/08
IL 10/15/08
I and Oath 11/20/08

I had just obtained my US citizenship so I am little unware of the terminology. Could someone please elaborate on this "U visa ".

I though U visa is an exceptional case for victim of crimes. For most former indian citizens it is OCI or some kind of tourist/work visa. In all of the normal visa indian passport should have been cancelled.

vik_b

I am not a lawyer. Please treat my comments appropriately.

PD 7/29/08
FP 8/23/08
IL 10/15/08
I and Oath 11/20/08

With OCI, you get a lifetime visa - it's type U, hence U-visa. They put a visa (with no expiry date) sticker on your passport. Please read OCI instructions/FAQs on any consulate web site if you are not familiar with this terminology.

It didn't even come to my mind. I don't think that they should as they are doing a favor to us by giving us personally, they could have just said it's your problem.

Hi,

I may have to go and pick up too but was wondering if they'll refund the mailing charges I paid ($25 for two people) if I go to DC office and pick it up?
Do you know if they refund the $25?

It didn't even come to my mind. I don't think that they should as they are doing a favor to us by giving us personally, they could have just said it's your problem.

I've not paid the mailing charges yet. If they allow me to personnally get U visa stamped, I guess I may not need to pay mailing charges.

OCI online or printed form

Is it necessary to apply for OCI online ( Part A ).

I am applying as a family with spouse and 2 minor kids, so i printed the Form xix and thinking of filling it out and then sending 2 sets of it.

Do you think it will be accepted or do I have to do it online only.

Please let me know if possible by tonight cause I might mail it tomorrow

Is it necessary to apply for OCI online ( Part A ).

I am applying as a family with spouse and 2 minor kids, so i printed the Form xix and thinking of filling it out and then sending 2 sets of it.

Do you think it will be accepted or do I have to do it online only.

Please let me know if possible by tonight cause I might mail it tomorrow

This is what the DC embassy website says: Initially, applications are to be filled on line as per procedure given below and mailed ( Do not come in person) to the Consular Wing, Embassy of India, Washington DC (in respect of applicants resident in the Mission’s jurisdiction - for details see heading “jurisdiction”). (see http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/oci.asp#Procedure for application as OCI)

If you didn't fill your forms online, how did you get online registration #s?