OCI - Washington DC Tracker

OCI online vs downloadable form

I think it will be send by email once it is processed as the brochure pdf on the OCI page on the www.mha.nic.in webiste says that you can download and fill the form and sent the attached required documents.

So can you please advice on the same.

Thanks in advance

I think it will be send by email once it is processed as the brochure pdf on the OCI page on the www.mha.nic.in webiste says that you can download and fill the form and sent the attached required documents.

So can you please advice on the same.

Thanks in advance

I am not familiar with this mode of application, hence cannot offer any advice. Moreover, everyone that I know of on this forum has used online applications.

A doubt

Hi

I had a doubt

the following link http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/oci.asp says this ELIGIBILITY FOR FOREIGN BORN MINOR CHILDREN:

FOREIGN BORN MINOR CHILDREN ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR OCI IF BOTH THE PARENTS ARE STILL INDIAN CITIZENS

so if we have become US citizens now and applying for OCI , can our foreign born kids be eligible for OCI and we can apply as family

Please advise as i am thinking of applying online

Hi

I had a doubt

the following link http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/oci.asp says this ELIGIBILITY FOR FOREIGN BORN MINOR CHILDREN:

FOREIGN BORN MINOR CHILDREN ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR OCI IF BOTH THE PARENTS ARE STILL INDIAN CITIZENS

so if we have become US citizens now and applying for OCI , can our foreign born kids be eligible for OCI and we can apply as family

Please advise as i am thinking of applying online

Yes, if one or both parents have acquired US citizenship, their foreign-born children are eligible for OCI. And yes, you can apply as family.

Questions before starting OCI journey

Hi all

I am about to start my journey for OCI starting tomorrow. but before that I have some questions and hoping somebody can answer those.

1) On the Part B - # 16 - where it asks if your country supports dual citizenship, should I say yes or no, me and my spouse are naturalized citizens and 2 minor kids are US born.
2) How do I self attess my kids documents, Do I sign it or get their fingerprint on every document and then sign below it as a guardian
3) When you send the sets in duplicate, do you send the 2 sets in one big envelope or 2 different envelopes in one big envelope.

Also I am sending the list of documents that I am sending, can someone tell me if I have missed out of something. My application is a family type.

Application form for family - First applicant, spouse, minor child 1 and minor 2 - PART A filled online and PART B handwritten
Photographs - 1 ( on form ) + 3 pictures for all
Self Addressed Envelope for mailing
Applicant 1 -
copy of citizenship certificate
copy of US passport
copy of Indian passport
Applicant 2 -
copy of US passport
copy of Indian passport
minor child 1 ( us born ) -
copy of birth certificate
copy of US passport
copy of PIO card
minor child 2 ( us born ) -
copy of US passport
copy of PIO card
Demand draft of : $ 275 + $275 + $25 + $25 + $25 ( mailing charges )

Same above set in duplicate

Hi all

I am about to start my journey for OCI starting tomorrow. but before that I have some questions and hoping somebody can answer those.

1) On the Part B - # 16 - where it asks if your country supports dual citizenship, should I say yes or no, me and my spouse are naturalized citizens and 2 minor kids are US born.
2) How do I self attess my kids documents, Do I sign it or get their fingerprint on every document and then sign below it as a guardian
3) When you send the sets in duplicate, do you send the 2 sets in one big envelope or 2 different envelopes in one big envelope.

Also I am sending the list of documents that I am sending, can someone tell me if I have missed out of something. My application is a family type.

Application form for family - First applicant, spouse, minor child 1 and minor 2 - PART A filled online and PART B handwritten
Photographs - 1 ( on form ) + 3 pictures for all
Self Addressed Envelope for mailing
Applicant 1 -
copy of US passport
copy of Indian passport
Applicant 2 -
copy of US passport
copy of Indian passport
minor child 1 ( us born ) -
copy of US passport
copy of PIO card
minor child 2 ( us born ) -
copy of US passport
copy of PIO card
Demand draft of : $ 275 + $275 + $25 + $25 + $25 ( mailing charges )

Same above set in duplicate

1. Say 'Yes' to this question.
2. The primary applicant can self-attest all the copies. Just write on each copy: 'I attest this to be a true copy of the original" and sign.
3. No need to put 2 sets in seaparate envelopes - just put a big paper-clip (or binder clip) on each set.

The checklist looks fine, except: don't you have to put 1 photo on each copy of Part A? So, it could be 2 pasted on Part As and 3 additional? May be some one who applied thru DC Embassy can confirm. I applied thru SFO where the photo requirement is different. Finally, isn't the return mailing charge $20 and not $25?

yes 5 pictures

akgarg

yes i will be having 2 photographs on 2 sets of part A and 3 additional along with appliction, missed that point,

also on the mailing charges, they have said if it is individual application then it is $20, but family a one toime $25

can someone who applied in washington dc , please reply abt this

thanks in advance

akgarg

yes i will be having 2 photographs on 2 sets of part A and 3 additional along with appliction, missed that point,

also on the mailing charges, they have said if it is individual application then it is $20, but family a one toime $25

can someone who applied in washington dc , please reply abt this

thanks in advance

You are right - return fee is $25 for family. I think you are ready to go :)

Forgot to mail a self addressed envelope along with package

hi all

I started my OCI journey on Friday Dec 5th. I sent the package with all the documents and photographs, but I forgot to send a self addressed envelope.

Can I send it later when they ask for passport and also what wil be the next step.

Thanks

hi all

I started my OCI journey on Friday Dec 5th. I sent the package with all the documents and photographs, but I forgot to send a self addressed envelope.

Can I send it later when they ask for passport and also what wil be the next step.

Thanks

Not to worry, you can send the envelope when you send the passports for U-visas and OCI booklets. Next step would be the acknowledgment (perhaps in 2-3 weeks) - go to http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp and type in your online reg #s in the second box to check that.

documents acknowledged...

Hi all

I had started my OCI journey on 5th dec and today I checked my status online and it showed as acknowledged. see my timeline. What are the next steps that I will see in my process.

documents mailed - 5th Dec
documents recieved at Washington - 8th Dec
date of acknowledgement - 16th Dec

Hi all

I had started my OCI journey on 5th dec and today I checked my status online and it showed as acknowledged. see my timeline. What are the next steps that I will see in my process.

documents mailed - 5th Dec
documents recieved at Washington - 8th Dec
date of acknowledgement - 16th Dec

Wow, that was quick! Next you should dates for photo & signature scan/grant/print/dispatch from Delhi/Recd. at DC. When you see the last date, you can send your passports for final processing.

OK Here is my status

OCI Mailed for Family(4 on Nov13 '08 ):confused:

Acknowledge on Nov 18 '08 :)

Signure scanned on Dec11 '08 :)

Registration Granted on DEC17 '08:p

Documents not printed/Dispatched/Recieved at DC :confused:

HOPE THIS Helps for others to estimate their timings so far its been smooth .

Good Luck Guys!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We got our OCI registrations certificates and Visa's stamped, below is our timeline,

OCI mailed On 10/2/08
OCI ack On 10/13/08
Registration Status Granted On 20-NOV-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On 19-NOV-2008
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 20-NOV-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 21-NOV-2008
Documents Received at WASHINGTON On 02-DEC-2008
passport Mailed to Embassy on 12/3/08
Passport and OCI recvd On 12/12/08

akgarg- thank you for all your help on this forum. Good luck to all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Photos/signatures scanned

Hi all

I applied for OCI as a family on 5th Dec and today I saw my status and it said that the Photos/signature scanned.

the registration status said as under process. so is this how it is suppose to go.

Can anyone please let me know what the next steps would be. I am planning to make a trip in the end of march, so does anyone think if my process will be done by then.

Hi all

I applied for OCI as a family on 5th Dec and today I saw my status and it said that the Photos/signature scanned.

the registration status said as under process. so is this how it is suppose to go.

Can anyone please let me know what the next steps would be. I am planning to make a trip in the end of march, so does anyone think if my process will be done by then.

Next you should see dates for Granted/Printed/Dispatched from Delhi/Received in Washington DC. Seeing current trends, you our process should complete by end of January or early part of February.

OCI at Washington

My ack date is 17-DEC-08. How many more days to wait for my OCI process to complete. I am planning to go to India in late Jan/Early Feb. If i dont get my OCI can i get a visa within a day.