OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Timeline for getting OCI stamped passport after local emabassy recieved the documents

Hi,
I sent my US passport for the U sticker and OCI stamping after the OCI application was granted and documents were recieved in Washington DC.

It has been more than 2 weeks and I am still waiting. I tried calling the Indian embassy at Washington DC and as usual they don't answer the phone. I have sent the $20 mailing fee along with my application.

Did anyone send passport for OCI stamping to Washington DC and idea on the timeline to get the passport back?

OCI Processing time in Washington DC

Folks,

Here is the time line for my OCI application so far through Wash DC

Acknowledgment Date: Apr 13
Photo/Sig Scanned: Apr 27

Online status does not show any progress beyond this. As you know, it is impossible to get through to the consulate to ask status.

Can others applying for OCI through DC consulate also pitch in with their dates. It appears Wash DC is one of the trackers no one is contributing to in this forum.

Lets get it restarted. thanks.

where to find the acknowledgement no or online registration number ?

Hi all, I mailed my packet on May 8 and reached Washington DC Embassy on Monday 11.
where can i get the online registration number or file acknowledgement no. ?

Hi all, I mailed my packet on May 8 and reached Washington DC Embassy on Monday 11.
where can i get the online registration number or file acknowledgement no. ?

Online registration# is the # on your OCI application (like USAWInnnnn0n). Put that in the second box on http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp and click "Go" next to that box. However, please allow 2-3 weeks (or more) for your application to be acknowledged - at which time a number will show up in the first box - and that will be your File#.

OCI process has begun

Thank you, my OCI application was acknowledged on 18 May and the registration is under process

OCI Timeline

05/09/2009 - Application mailed
05/11/2009 - Application received at DC Embassy
05/18/2009 - Application acknowledged
on going - Registration process
xx/xx/xxxx- Documents printed
xx/xx/xxxx- Documents dispatched from New Delhi
xx/xx/xxxx- Documents received at Washington DC
xx/xx/xxxx- Indian and US passports mailed
xx/xx/xxxx- Indian and US passports received at DC Emabassy
xx/xx/xxxx- OCI and passports mailed from embassy
xx/xx/xxxx- OCI and passports received (COMPLETE!!!)

OCI Completed!!

Just to update you folks. Me and my family of 4 got our OCIs and the process is completed!!!

this was very efficient and quick.

Granted status was on May 21.

Mailed our passports on May 26th

Received OCI passport and sticker in US passport on May 30th.

All in all, very smooth process.

Good luck to all of you!!

Folks,

Here is the time line for my OCI application so far through Wash DC

Acknowledgment Date: Apr 13
Photo/Sig Scanned: Apr 27

Online status does not show any progress beyond this. As you know, it is impossible to get through to the consulate to ask status.

Can others applying for OCI through DC consulate also pitch in with their dates. It appears Wash DC is one of the trackers no one is contributing to in this forum.

Lets get it restarted. thanks.

OCI Question - Please help !

Hi,

I recently got naturalized and obtained U.S.Passport. I am trying to decide if I should go for the Indian Visa or OCI. My kids are U.S. Citizens and have Indian Visa valid till 2012. I am aware of the benefits between OCI and Indian Visa.

If I get the OCI just for myself now, would there be an issue if I apply the same for my kids at a later time ? Is it expected that the OCI would/should be applied for the whole family ?

Does anyone with similar situation have any experience to share ? I would greatly appreciate that.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I recently got naturalized and obtained U.S.Passport. I am trying to decide if I should go for the Indian Visa or OCI. My kids are U.S. Citizens and have Indian Visa valid till 2012. I am aware of the benefits between OCI and Indian Visa.

If I get the OCI just for myself now, would there be an issue if I apply the same for my kids at a later time ? Is it expected that the OCI would/should be applied for the whole family ?

Does anyone with similar situation have any experience to share ? I would greatly appreciate that.

Thanks.

I got my passport on Friday.

I understand that you can apply for the kids who were born in US, only alongwith the application of parents or wait until they turn 18. My kids have PIO valid until 2022.

I still plan to apply for the who family as for kids it only cost $25(as they already have PIO)

Other than the cost aspect, I dont see a reason not to apply for them.

Hence I plan to app

Registration Status Granted On 16-JUN-2009

Quick question.

Date Of Acknowledgment 12-JUN-2009
Application Status
Photo/Signature Scanned On 12-JUN-2009

BUT.........
Documents Despatched From Delhi On NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at WASHINGTON NOT YET

I have a trip scheduled on August 3rd of this year. Since the documents have not been sent from Delhi, yet, should I just apply for Visitor visa? it might take a while for them to come from Delhi.

or if I can send passport right away, to which address in Washington, DC should I send the passport and how should I reference that it is for OCI?

Thank you very much!

Quick question.

Date Of Acknowledgment 12-JUN-2009
Application Status
Photo/Signature Scanned On 12-JUN-2009

BUT.........
Documents Despatched From Delhi On NOT DISPATCHED

I have a trip scheduled on August 3rd of this year. Since the documents have not been sent from Delhi, yet, should I just apply for Visitor visa? it might take a while for them to come from Delhi.

or if I can send passport right away, to which address in Washington, DC should I send the passport and how should I reference that it is for OCI?

Thank you very much!

Few things...
There is no need to start a new thread for such queries - it should have been posted to the Washington DC Tracker thread (I will merge the two shortly).

You seem to have plenty of time to complete the process for your August 3rd trip. From what I have seen with recent time lines, your docs should arrive in DC in 2-3 weeks (may be sooner). For visitor's visa, you shouldn't need more than 1-2 weeks, so that decision can be made later - if something delays your document dispatch, etc.

Re. collecting your OCI docs, read the instructions at http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/oci.asp - search for 'Instructions regarding Dispatch of OCI cards'.

Hope this helps.

I have applied on 6/10; Donot see application on status; Booked the ticket to India on Jul19th hoping the best. Worst case, I will seek VISA around 2nd week.

Please Help!

Few things...
There is no need to start a new thread for such queries - it should have been posted to the Washington DC Tracker thread (I will merge the two shortly).

You seem to have plenty of time to complete the process for your August 3rd trip. From what I have seen with recent time lines, your docs should arrive in DC in 2-3 weeks (may be sooner). For visitor's visa, you shouldn't need more than 1-2 weeks, so that decision can be made later - if something delays your document dispatch, etc.

Re. collecting your OCI docs, read the instructions at http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/oci.asp - search for 'Instructions regarding Dispatch of OCI cards'.

Hope this helps.

Hi, now my status is:
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 18-JUN-2009

Should I send my US Passport to OCI Dispatch right now!? or should I wait for the documents to be received at Washington? keeping in mind that I'm leaving on the 3rd of July (is a holiday).:confused:

In my post, I mistakenly said August 3rd. I meant July 3rd. could somebody help based on the information:

Documents Despatched From Delhi On 18-JUN-2009

Second update of my OCI status

Hey all, my documents will reach DC in a couple of days.... should I wait for them to indicate to me to send the passports.... an e-mail ... or should I be proactive and send them the passports right now ?

06/16/2009 - Photos/signature scanned
06/19/2009 - Registration status granted
06/19/2009 - Documents Printed
06/22/2009 - Documents dispatched from New Delhi

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all, my documents will reach DC in a couple of days.... should I wait for them to indicate to me to send the passports.... an e-mail ... or should I be proactive and send them the passports right now ?

06/16/2009 - Photos/signature scanned
06/19/2009 - Registration status granted
06/19/2009 - Documents Printed
06/22/2009 - Documents dispatched from New Delhi
Neither. Send your passports as soon as you see that the docs have been received at DC.

Hello Everyone,
I have been following the posts here. I have some confusions regarding the papers to be sent with the application. I have read the links regarding that but the embassy says something different. So those who applied recently, can you please just list the items you sent?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Everyone,
I have been following the posts here. I have some confusions regarding the papers to be sent with the application. I have read the links regarding that but the embassy says something different. So those who applied recently, can you please just list the items you sent?

Thanks in advance.

I think you have it backwards. The list of supporting docs seems quite clear to me at the DC web site. Rather than asking others to provide the list to you, why don't you list it as you understand it? If you have any confusion re. something, mention that and I am sure someone will respond with a clarification or correction. People are here to help, but not to do the work for you.

Thanks for the help. But I am not asking anyone to do the work for me.
I know you are the moderator, but KINDLY use better tone when you post.