OCI - Washington DC Tracker

testram said:
Here are my details:-

Despatched: Nov 1
Acknowledged Nov 11th
Current Status: Under Process

I have seen that normally they grant/scan etc., in 4 working days. Should I worry? How do they communicate issues with the application?

I followed every instruction except that I did not notarize or self-attest the photocopies of the document - I hope this is not a deal breaker.

Thanks all, especially ALT

Ram
I have also observed (from looking at the trackers in this forum) that they seem to pick up apps in batches. So if you start seeing other posts with Ack date close to yours but moving forward, then start wondering (not worrying yet). The other thing I have seen from these forums is that if for some reason there is a delay, then it turns out that they had some trouble with scanning the photos or signatures/thumb prints. I would give them at least 3-4 weeks after Ack date before spending any effort trying to find out whats going on.

And I appreciate your thanks. Just glad that my experience is helpful to someone.

All the best!

harry2005 said:
Yes, thanks ALT (and everyone) for taking time to post information. Appreciate you sticking around even after your OCI was received. These forums have been a great help since my F1/H1 days. I encourage everyone to share their relevant experiences, good and bad.
Harry, your current situation does indeed worry me. If I were in your place, I would now go to the embassy and stick around till they gave the passports back. More than a month without passports!
I really hope they have not mailed your passports because the "lost in mail" thought is even more scary. But then also, the embassy guys should have kept the USPS tracking number.

All the best to you!

To Harry 2005 and everyone else

Here's something I have done an has helped me.

I have a second US passport that is active for 2 years. If you travel a bunch on business this will help you tide over those times when a consulate has to hold your passport for sometime.

I thought this was going to be a likley problem with OCI at indian consulate.

Harry - you may consider that option; I thought they had wanted my original US pp before issuing a second one but see if you can get away by explaining.

Regards,

Ram

Two passport documents!? Could you please provide more details? I was under the impression that the older passport would be declared void in the system.

Desis_r_us

testram said:

I have a second US passport that is active for 2 years. If you travel a bunch on business this will help you tide over those times when a consulate has to hold your passport for sometime.
Ram

Last edited by a moderator:
It Finally Arrived

testram said:

I thought this was going to be a likley problem with OCI at indian consulate.

Harry - you may consider that option; I thought they had wanted my original US pp before issuing a second one but see if you can get away by explaining.

Regards,

Ram

My passports finally arrived today. OCI visa and booklets look good. They cancelled our Indian passports and sent them back as well.

Spamming cancel :D

They took longer than I thought, but finally they sent everything in good shape. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Now that immigration process is done both ways, what am I going to worry about now? I can't sleep unless I have some immigration thing to worry about, you know :D How about applying for Australia :)

Goodluck everyone.

I'm happy for you!

:)
harry2005 said:
My passports finally arrived today. OCI visa and booklets look good. They cancelled our Indian passports and sent them back as well.

They took longer than I thought, but finally they sent everything in good shape. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Now that immigration process is done both ways, what am I going to worry about now? I can't sleep unless I have some immigration thing to worry about, you know :D How about applying for Australia :)

Goodluck everyone.

Our passports have been delivered at the Embassy yesterday. Now I have my fingures crossed!

Glad that your boat has finally reached the shore! I hope they don't create another boat!!!

harry2005 said:

Goodluck everyone.
Congratulations! You made it after all!
And to satisfy your immigration related worries, you can worry about helping other USC wannabees and OCI dreamers. I can retire now! ;)

alt said:
Congratulations! You made it after all!
And to satisfy your immigration related worries, you can worry about helping other USC wannabees and OCI dreamers. I can retire now! ;)

Thanks. I'll stick around for a while and see I can help others.

Second US Passport Details

A second US passport is available if you travel a lot. Just need an application, two pictures your original US passport, a letter explaining the need and the fees.

My second passport arrived in about 3 days. As I said it is good to have it as a backup in case of emergencies.

Ram

Harry

Congrats Harry!

Mine is stuck under process status for a little over 2 weeks. Not sure how I will know what the issue is.

I did not self attest every page. I should have read alt's posts before sending the packet out.

Ram

Harry - immigration problems

Here's one for you!

How about worrying about the immigration status of the spouse of your unborn child???

Ha ha

Good luck enjoy life without worries for some time.

Ram

Help...

I posted this message in the forum..

Me & my wife applied for OCI on july 2006. Until now we have not revd any file# or any updates on our case. I sent emails to the MHA (as posted in the forum) and have not recvd any updates. Even spoke with DC-OCI office, all they say is the application has been sent to india and they are waiting... When do I get a file#????

Any suggestions on how to proceed further with this case???

Thanks....

ocimee said:

Me & my wife applied for OCI on july 2006. Until now we have not revd any file# or any updates on our case. I sent emails to the MHA (as posted in the forum) and have not recvd any updates. Even spoke with DC-OCI office, all they say is the application has been sent to india and they are waiting... When do I get a file#????

Thanks....

I'd find out if the check cleared and when it did.

ocimee said:

Thanks....

July, 06 huh. Thats awful lot of time. Next time when you get a chance to talk to DC-OCI guys, ask them what they are waiting for from India. To my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong), most of the OCI processing happens in here. Once it gets to granted status, DC-embassy scans the photos and signatures and uploads them so that OCI in India can print the documents and dispatch. DC-OCI should have issued the file number when they received and started processing your application (UnderProcess).

Hope you get it resolved soon.

Crossed the finish line..

:)
We received our OCI certificates and U-Visas on Saturday, the 9th Dec 2006. The whole process took a little over 2 months. Not bad! Glad to have my boat at the shore. It's hard to see cases like OCIMEE's that get stuck somewhere without any explanation!!!?? :confused:

Here is our final details, if anyone wonders.

Mailed documents on 6-Oct-2006
Documents delivered at embassy 10-Oct-2006
Date of Acknowledgement 26-Oct-2006

Registration Status: Granted 04-Nov-2006
Photo/Signature: Scanned 26-Oct-2006

Documents Printing Status: PRINTED
Documents Printed On: 04-Nov-2006
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 06-Nov-2006

Documents received at Washington: 16-Nov-2006

Mailed the Passports/PIOs(we all had PIOs): 18-Nov-2006
Passports Delivered at the Embassy: 22-Nov-2006
Received OCI certificates/U-Visas: 09-Dec-2006

Here is something interesting!!!??? :D
As required, I had included $15 for the mailing fee. Embassy has sent me the documents by Priority mail that costed only $4.55. Where did the remaining amount ($10.45) go? I guess that must be the 'Handling (Chaai-Paani)' fee!! Sorry, for being a little mean here! Do they ever have an audit? BTW, I was glad to see that they at least had a delivery confirmation on the package!! The $15 fee is supposed to be for Express mail; for other processings like PIO etc, they give you the option of getting the documents either by Express mail for a fee of $15 or by priority mail for a fee of $7.

Cheers!

oci status

Hello,
I accidently applied for OCI for my daughter when both of us are Indian (mother and father). It has been about 15 days and I have not got anything from them. Is there a way to contact them (phone, email) which would work? I call them and nobody picks up. I would appreciate any way of successfully communicating with them. Should I keep callling them?

Alright....
Finally, both our app got ackgd. Waiting for Doc's to arrive DC. The whole process tool 4 days ... email from DS-1 Sec made this happen!

How long does it take to get U-visa when I send my passport???

Thanks to everyone...

Contact CGI?

After a long wait (4.5 months), my case moved forward to "Documents despatched from Delhi - 18th Dec 2006"

It has been more than 10 days & there is no movement .. Do I need to contact CGI??

Thanks

ocimee said:
After a long wait (4.5 months), my case moved forward to "Documents despatched from Delhi - 18th Dec 2006"

It has been more than 10 days & there is no movement .. Do I need to contact CGI??

Thanks

Good to hear that you are almost at the finish line. I would give another week before contacting CGI. Mine took about 11 days from dispatch to received. With the holidays and everything, I would give them few more days.