OCI - Washington DC Tracker

OCI timeline

Is there a number I can call to find out what is going on.
Registration Granted- 26th September
Nothing after that.
I notice people who have applied after me have already gotten the documents dispatched from Delhi.

Any idea why it is taking so long.

delhi1 said:
Is there a number I can call to find out what is going on.
Registration Granted- 26th September
Nothing after that.
I notice people who have applied after me have already gotten the documents dispatched from Delhi.

Any idea why it is taking so long.
What size photos did you use?

Just a wild guess here but maybe if they need to trim down the photos for scanning, they put the applications in another basket from where someone slowly trims the photos one by one ...
:)

But seriously, I would suggest to wait a few more days and if your status does not change then try contacting the OCI cell in DC (very hard since they dont pick up the phone), and also MHA officials (do a careful search in this newsgroup, since I did see some other thread in this forum mention some contact details but can't locate that post right now)

Bump...updated timeline

I recieved my sticker and OCI card. I must say that aside from the problems w/pictures it was a smooth process.

harry2005 said:
My application status:

Application Package Delivered : Aug 10, 2006
MO Cashed : Aug 18, 2006
Date Of Acknowledgment : 29-AUG-2006
Registration Status : UnderProcess

My family OCIs have arrived at Washington DC. My application is still hanging in limbo. Its granted on Sep 25, but no update after that. As expected, they haven't notified anything, no response to emails/phone calls either.

Timeline:

Application Rcvd at DC: 10-Aug-2006
Acknowledgment: 29-AUG-2006
Photo/Signature Scanned: 22-SEP-2006
Granted: 25-SEP-2006
Documents Printed: 26-SEP-2006
Documents Despatched From Delhi: 26-SEP-2006
Documents Received at WASHINGTON: 10-OCT-200

Documents received at Washington

Latest status update -

Mailed documents on Sep/15/06
Documents delivered at embassy Sep/18/06
Date of Acknowledgement Sep/27/06

Registration Status: Granted Oct/03/06
Photo/Signature: Scanned Oct/03/06

Documents Printing Status: PRINTED
Documents Printed On: 04-OCT-2006
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 04-OCT-2006

Documents received at Washington: 10-OCT-2006

And it is only Oct/9/06 today! Now this is too good, they already know what they have "received tomorrow". :rolleyes:

But I have no problems with it, since I am mailing my passports, and they will get to DC not before Oct/12/06 anyways. :)

Same problem here

Same thing has happened to my oci card around the same time. I tried calling DC but could not get anywhere so I sent an email to India and I got a reply right away saying that their records show that there is an objection put on the scanning of photograph and signature. They have requested Washington DC to re-scan the photograph and signature.My application was granted on the 26th of Sept.

harry2005 said:
My family OCIs have arrived at Washington DC. My application is still hanging in limbo. Its granted on Sep 25, but no update after that. As expected, they haven't notified anything, no response to emails/phone calls either.

Timeline:

Application Rcvd at DC: 10-Aug-2006
Acknowledgment: 29-AUG-2006
Photo/Signature Scanned: 22-SEP-2006
Granted: 25-SEP-2006
Documents Printed: 26-SEP-2006
Documents Despatched From Delhi: 26-SEP-2006
Documents Received at WASHINGTON: 10-OCT-200

delhi1 said:
Same thing has happened to my oci card around the same time. I tried calling DC but could not get anywhere so I sent an email to India and I got a reply right away saying that their records show that there is an objection put on the scanning of photograph and signature. They have requested Washington DC to re-scan the photograph and signature.My application was granted on the 26th of Sept.

Where did you send the email to? I sent emails to
usoci-mha@nic.in
usnri@mea.gov.in
usds@moia.nic.in

and didn't get anything back. I didn't bother with Washington guys as they weren't going to reply anyway.

delhi1 said:
I sent the email to the following address.Make sure you give your Referance # and or plus the acknowledgement as well as let them know your registration status.
usnri@mea.gov.in

Thanks. I actually got the response from India today. They are waiting for Washington to rescan the signature and upload. I guess I just have to wait for now. Good that I don't have to send the photos again.

Status Update

Just when I thought everything was going smoothly. My status online shows that the OCI documents were printed Oct 4th 2006 but since then no update.

I would have thought they will despatch within a day or two. I am not sure what I need to do other than wait.

Status Update

OK This is weird. My application seems to be going backwards. The Document Printed date was Oct. 4th till yesterday and now it says NOT PRINTED after I sent them an email as to what was going on with my application.

Has anyone else experienced this? harry2005 or delhi1 any updates?

Last edited by a moderator:
shareef_aadmi said:
OK This is weird. My application seems to be going backwards. The Document Printed date was Oct. 4th till yesterday and now it says NOT PRINTED after I sent them an email as to what was going on with my application.

Has anyone else experienced this? harry2005 or delhi1 any updates?

SA,
My application went through something similar. It showed Photos/sig scanned date at one point and went back to just Granted. No updates after 9/25. I sent email to India and got a reply saying that Washington uploaded signature in the wrong format and OCI guys in India informed Washington to rescan and upload the signature again. They sent a copy of this reply to Washington also. I sent another email to DC requesting them to resolve the matter. Thats all I could do. I have a feeling it will just sit there for a few months. I'm prepared to wait for a couple of months. If it doesn't get resolved by then, I'll ask them to cancel the application and refund my money (they'll say, refund? rrrrrrrrriight :) ).

I'm kicking myself over why I didn't apply for PIO in the first place. Now I can't even apply for PIO with this thing sitting in granted status. I'm not at all convinced about the benefits of OCI. Its confusing everyone.

Let us know if you see any progress. I will do the same (though I'm probably not going check on it as frequently).

Good luck.

Prefix for Wash Online Reg or File number

Can someone help with reminding me the letter prefix ahead of online reg & File ack number? I am away from home and wrote down just the number...

Thanks

Prefix and Status

The prefix for Washington is USAWI

harry2005, my status got updated again to say printed on Oct. 14th. So I hope this time they will actually despatch it soon

Timeline

Docs Recd on Sep/11/06
Date of Acknowledgement Sep/26/06
Registration Status: Granted Sep/27/06
Photo/Signature: Scanned Sep/27/06
Documents Printed On: 28-SEP-2006
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 29-SEP-2006
Documents Received at WASHINGTON On 05-OCT-2006

Received the OCI certificates!

Final status update -

Mailed documents on Sep/15/06
Documents delivered at embassy Sep/18/06
Date of Acknowledgement Sep/27/06

Registration Status: Granted Oct/03/06
Photo/Signature: Scanned Oct/03/06

Documents Printing Status: PRINTED
Documents Printed On: 04-OCT-2006
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 04-OCT-2006

Documents received at Washington: 10-OCT-2006

Mailed passports along with my Indian passport for cancellation on 09-OCT-2006.
Passports delivered at embassy on 11-OCT-2006.
Received passports and OCI booklets on 17-OCT-2006

So all in all, a very pleasent and fast OCI experience for me! Just 1 month and 2 days from beginning to end!
:D

Oh, and by-the-way, looking at the photo in the OCI booklet sort of explains why they wanted 35mm x 35mm photos in first place. Guess it would definitely speed things up for ppl to send the correct size photos.
;)

How did you mail passports to dc consulate?

Alt
Did you fedex or send regular mail with return receipt? Also how did the consulate mail the passports back to you?

shareef_aadmi said:
Alt
Did you fedex or send regular mail with return receipt? Also how did the consulate mail the passports back to you?
I had FedEx'd my application by 2 day air.
Last week also, I had fedex'd my passports again by 2 day air.
Consulate mailed me the passports by Express mail, which they mailed yesterday (16-Oct-06), and I got it today.

Time taken for OCi through DC embassy

Friends -

I got my US naturalization certificate today. I will apply for the passport at the passport agency in Washington DC tomorrow requesting them to grant the passport same day for applying for OCI. Hopefully they will oblige. My departure date is Jan 8. Keeping the timeframe in mind (~2 months) would you recommend going for OCI or for PIO card? I realize PIO card comes in a week from the Indian embassy. What is the generally observed timeframe for OCI?

Thanks.

brajac said:
Friends -

I got my US naturalization certificate today. I will apply for the passport at the passport agency in Washington DC tomorrow requesting them to grant the passport same day for applying for OCI. Hopefully they will oblige. My departure date is Jan 8. Keeping the timeframe in mind (~2 months) would you recommend going for OCI or for PIO card? I realize PIO card comes in a week from the Indian embassy. What is the generally observed timeframe for OCI?

Thanks.
Get a tourist visa instead if you are not sure you will get the OCI in two months. PIO to OCI conversion is probably more expensive than going from a tourist visa to OCI.