OCI - San Francisco Tracker

Recieved OCI card and US passport with U-visa today for the whole family. Thank you very much for all the people posted the message. It was very helpful. Please see my signature for the details.

03/18/2010: Mailed to SF
03/21/2010: Reached SF
04/02/2010: Acknowledged
04/03/2010: Scanned
04/03/2010: Granted
04/06/2010: Printed
04/08/2010: Dispatched from Delhi
xx/xx/10: Recd SFO
xx/xx/10 : OCI Recd

Received OCI Registration Card (booklet), US Passport with U Visa and the Cancelled Indian Passport. I guess this is it. Thanks to the forum and all who helped in the process directly and indirectly.

Received the OCI card yesterday

Mailed (first time): NOV-2009
Sent back: NOV-2009 (requesting name change affidavit as I dropped my middle name in US passport)
Mailed (second time) on: 11-MAR-2010
Received on: 12-MAR-2010
Date Of Acknowledgment: 20-MAR-2010
Granted On: 24-MAR-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned On: 24-MAR-2010
Documents printed on: 26-MAR-2010
Documents dispatched on: 29-MAR-2010
Documents received at SFO: 06-APR-2010
OCI card received: 13-APR-2010

need more specifics for oci application

Hi All

Me and my spouse got US citizenship via Naturalization. Following questions

FOR MYSELF
I dont have Indian passport. So I have to supply other evidences as per requirements:

1. Name difference in US passport and Naturalization certificate
The Middle name differs -- In Naturalization certificate -- The middle name is the entire first name of my father whereas on the US passport only the first letter of my fathers first name.
-- Will this need a name change affidavit. If yes, then what is the format/wording in the affidavit and how do I do it.
-- Will this affidavit require Notarization.

FOR MY SPOUSE
- She does not have Indian passort. So we have submitt other evidence as per requirements.

1. Name difference in US passport and Naturalization ceritificate;

My wife got Naturalized before marriage and so in the Naturalization certificate she has her MAIDEN LAST name and her fathter's name as MIDDLE name. In the US passport, she has my LAST NAME and the first letter of my first name as MIDDLE name.
-- Will this need name change affidavit. If yes, then how do I do it. What is the format/wording.
-- Does this require Notarization.

I plan to submit a copy (probaby Notarized) of Marriage certificate (India) as additional evidence. We have other supporting documents.

The CGI- SFO website also requires an "affidavit" if you dont have the indian passport in addition to other documents. But there is no clarification of what kind of affidavit. I emailed/left messages but there is no repsonse yet.

-- What is this affidavit about and what would be the format/wording.

Any help/clarification in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Any help

-

A few questions

I am applying for OCI for me, spouse and a PIO card holder daughter at SFO consulate.

I have a few questions.
1. Looks like Self Attestation is okay for my and spouse application. But for daughter PIO card and passport may need to be notarised? Did you guys notarise the passport?
2. If I get one copy notarised I am hopying to make a xerox of the notarised copy while sending. I hope that is okay.
3. SFO requires that we send the passports (US and Indian) in original and also the original PIO card.
These must be sent along with the applications?
4. What is a self addressed envelope? Do we get this at the post office? It says postage paid. How do one get the right postage? So each member of the family needs one envelope?
5. How did you send your application? Express mail or certified mail with return receipt?
6. Is it good to do one money order or three separate money orders?
7. Who is the money order made payable to?

Is zerox of the driving license good enough as a proof of residence? For my 5 year old do I need to give proof of residence?

04/16/2010: Recd SFO
04/20/2010 : OCI Recd

I am applying for OCI for me, spouse and a PIO card holder daughter at SFO consulate.

I have a few questions.
1. Looks like Self Attestation is okay for my and spouse application. But for daughter PIO card and passport may need to be notarised? Did you guys notarise the passport?
I self attested all documentation. No notarization.
2. If I get one copy notarised I am hopying to make a xerox of the notarised copy while sending. I hope that is okay.
3. SFO requires that we send the passports (US and Indian) in original and also the original PIO card.
These must be sent along with the applications?
4. What is a self addressed envelope? Do we get this at the post office? It says postage paid. How do one get the right postage? So each member of the family needs one envelope?
5. How did you send your application? Express mail or certified mail with return receipt?
Passport/return envelope etc. are to be sent after the application is approved and received at the consulate. It should not be sent in with the application. Self addressed envelope is an envelope with your name and address on it. One for the whole family is enough. Postage will be roughly the same as the postage that is used to send the passports. Maybe a little more since the OCI cards will be also added. First time around I used USPS priority mail. Next time around I used UPS. (my application was incomplete and had to fix and resend). seems like both methods work.
6. Is it good to do one money order or three separate money orders?
One money order or bankers cheque is good enough for the whole family.
7. Who is the money order made payable to?
Should be in the SF consulate website. It is different for each consulate.
Is zerox of the driving license good enough as a proof of residence? For my 5 year old do I need to give proof of residence?

One proof of address for the whole package is enough. You dont need to include Proof of address with each applicant within the family. DL is a good proof of residence. Utility Bill/Bank statements also satisfy.

Oci

After the OCI is approved and the Indian passport received back by the OCI applicant, how does one know that the Indian Passport has been cancelled?

Oci

04/16/2010: Recd SFO
04/20/2010 : OCI Recd

Was your Indian Passport stamped as 'Canceled' or a hole made through the page that has the picture and the personal details?

The Indian passport will have a stamp stating that it has been canceled.

Thanks nkm...I don't think my Indian Passport has the stamp, although the OCI card has been received by me.

Do I need to call them and let them know? Its so difficult to get through...and I travel in a couple of weeks

Multiple online registrations but ok

Hello,

Due to website issues I ended up registering multiple times on website and I got 3 or 4 sets of
registration numbers for Part1. I mailed only the last set and looks like it is all ok. They link it
to the number on the Part1 you mailed.

OCI for self and Family:
Application Mailed: 6th April
Received at SFO: 7th April
Acknowledged: 23rd April
Granted/SCanned/Printed: 27th April

Thanks nkm...I don't think my Indian Passport has the stamp, although the OCI card has been received by me.

Do I need to call them and let them know? Its so difficult to get through...and I travel in a couple of weeks

Don't bother.. you will never use your Indian passport anyway. Your OCI card and foreign passport with OCI visa is enough for travel.

I am preparing to send the OCI application. Has anybody mailed their application by USPS Priority mail? I will be sending out the application without US passport for now.
Another question there is conflicting information on fees on the cgisf website. One webpage states postal order or cashiers check another webpage says postal order only. What method of payment have you all used?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am preparing to send the OCI application. Has anybody mailed their applciation by USPS Priority mail? I will be sending out the application without US passport for now.
Another question there is conflicting information on fees on the cgisf website. One webpage states postal order or chashiers check naother webpage says postal order only. What method of payment have you all used?

I mailed using USPS Expressmail--for sake of tracking due to US passport 10 dollar difference between priority vs express.. so ...

For Fees,I used USPS money order as it was easier than cashiers check,I got the money order in the same post office visit as shipping,They use debit card for Money order anyway.

Thanks

I mailed using USPS Expressmail--for sake of tracking due to US passport 10 dollar difference between priority vs express.. so ...

For Fees,I used USPS money order as it was easier than cashiers check,I got the money order in the same post office visit as shipping,They use debit card for Money order anyway.

Hi,

I submitted my appl for OCI and they returned it saying that they need colored copy of my Green Card ? Has anyone else had this requirement? I did send copies of my US passport as well as copy of Naturalization Certificates. I'm at loss as I don't even have my Green Card with me anymore...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom