OCI - San Francisco Tracker

OCI- Easier than I thought

Applied - Jul 16, 2008
Application Received (Probably in India) - JUL 31, 2008
Granted - Aug 1, 2008
Documents Received CGISF- Aug 8, 2008
(I didn't even check the status until Sep 5, otherwise it would have been sooner)
Sent passport - Sep 5
Received stamped passport and booklet Sep 9

CGI - San Francisco seems to be moving pretty fast. Here's what my timeline looks like:

Application received in San Francisco CGI: 26-AUG-2008
Date Of Acknowledgment: 10-SEP-2008
Registration Granted: 11-SEP-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned: 11-SEP-2008
Documents Printed On: 12-SEP-2008
Documents Dispatched From Delhi On: 16-SEP-2008

I have a quick question - I could not find anywhere on the CGI San Francisco web site instructions on when I'm supposed to send the passport. Clearly from all the posts here, it is apparent that this should happen when the San Francisco consulate receives the documents from India. Does anyone have a link where the CGI states that the applicant indeed needs to monitor their web-site for status and send the US passport once they receive the documents? Or should the applicant wait for notification from the consulate and only then mail the passport?

CGI - San Francisco seems to be moving pretty fast. Here's what my timeline looks like:

Application received in San Francisco CGI: 26-AUG-2008
Date Of Acknowledgment: 10-SEP-2008
Registration Granted: 11-SEP-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned: 11-SEP-2008
Documents Printed On: 12-SEP-2008
Documents Dispatched From Delhi On: 16-SEP-2008

I have a quick question - I could not find anywhere on the CGI San Francisco web site instructions on when I'm supposed to send the passport. Clearly from all the posts here, it is apparent that this should happen when the San Francisco consulate receives the documents from India. Does anyone have a link where the CGI states that the applicant indeed needs to monitor their web-site for status and send the US passport once they receive the documents? Or should the applicant wait for notification from the consulate and only then mail the passport?

You can send your passports whenever the online status page (the same where you got the above time-line), says that your docs have been received at San Francisco. You can also monitor the page at http://www.cgisf.org/oc/granted_oci.html to see if your Ack# shows up there. You can send your passports as soon as either one shows receipt of your docs.

You can send your passports whenever the online status page (the same where you got the above time-line), says that your docs have been received at San Francisco. You can also monitor the page at http://www.cgisf.org/oc/granted_oci.html to see if your Ack# shows up there. You can send your passports as soon as either one shows receipt of your docs.

Maybe I'm being finicky but I do not remember reading first hand the directions on when to send the US passport so I was trying to find out if this is the process based on "general wisdom/expereinces" (unlikely) or whether this is documented somewhere. If so, I probably missed it.

A quick question:

Does the CGI SF send a postal mail acknowledgement that they received the application? Am I going to receive a note by postal mail? Otherwise how do you know?

I sent my application through regular mail (no express or registered or priority)

A quick question:

Does the CGI SF send a postal mail acknowledgement that they received the application? Am I going to receive a note by postal mail? Otherwise how do you know?

I sent my application through regular mail (no express or registered or priority)

No ack. After 2-3 weeks, input your online registration # in the oci status webpage. If it says acknowledged, you are good. Please be conservative on the timeline although recent timelines are about 2-3 weeks from mailing date for ack in CGI SF

Hi all,
I have a question for you. We applied for OCI sometime in early May 2008, right after getting our US passports. We applied for our whole family at the time. Since then, owing to some events happenning at home/work etc, we have not gotten around to mailing the OCI applications with the passport.
We got in touch with the Indian Consulate in San Francisco to ask them about our OCI approval and they told us our File numbers had come thru and we need to mail the passports pictures etc to the Indian Councilate in SFO inorder to obtain the OCIs for the whole family.

Here is my question. It turns out that my husband needs to fly on business to India this week. He has a day to obtain an Indian visa in order to go to India. Since our OCI applicaitons (to be mailed in ) are ready, can he get the OCI within a day?

He just saw that if he applies for a business Indian visa, he will have to sign a form saying that he renounces his Indian citizenship and that is bothersome since his intent is to obtain OCI, a process which we have already initiated.

Just wanted to know if anyone has any idea if OCI can be obtained within a day if the Indian government has approved the request for OCI already. He has proof of purchase of tickets to fly with the date of departure etc...

Anxiously waiting to hear if anyone has any insigh on this matter,

Thanks in advance,
Quest4gc.

OCI - Do I have enough time?

Hi,

I will be going to India Mid December and am considering applying for an OCI. I do see that it's taking about 45 days to get the OCI from the date of applying. Can someone tell me if I have enough time considering that there are some Big Indian holidays around the corner? I would also need to apply for a Chinese Visa as I will be visiting China on my way to India.

Thanks,
RMH

OCI received in 1 month (San Francisco)

Hi,

30 days froms start (8/25) to finish (9/24) for OCI process! Amazing!

/GCAwaited

Hi,

I will be going to India Mid December and am considering applying for an OCI. I do see that it's taking about 45 days to get the OCI from the date of applying. Can someone tell me if I have enough time considering that there are some Big Indian holidays around the corner? I would also need to apply for a Chinese Visa as I will be visiting China on my way to India.

Thanks,
RMH

It took me 30 days from start to finish. Of course YMMV!

/GCAwaited

Hi,

Thanks,
RMH

28 days for me. San Francisco consulate & OCI staff in New Delhi is super fast!

My OCI documents were dispatched from New Delhi on OCt 1 '08. The online OCI enquiry site advises to contact the mission office (SF in my case) if its been more than 10 days from the date of dispatch. Has anyone done this? And how does this usually proceed?

Thanks.

status

Here is my status

Application received in San Francisco CGI: 1-OCT-2008
Date Of Acknowledgment: 10-OCT-2008
Registration Granted: 11-OCT-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned: 11-OCT-2008
Documents Printed On: 14-OCT-2008
Documents Dispatched From Delhi On: 15-OCT-2008
Documents received at SF: Not Yet

OCI approved in 4 weeks

Date Of Acknowledgment :11-OCT-2008
Registration Status Granted On 14-OCT-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On 14-OCT-2008
Documents Printed On 14-OCT-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 15-OCT-2008
Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO On 25-OCT-2008

I mailed my US & Indian passports and PIO cards to the consulate the same day status was updated after being received in SFO ( 10/25/08 ).

4 weeks was pretty fast and is unbelievable efficiency from a GoI entity. Here are a few pointers when you apply:

- Fedex Kinko's US passport photos with white background are ok with the SFO consulate. Prior to submitting the application, I sent them an email with a copy of the passport photo scanned and they replied with 24 hours and confirmed it is fine. However, try to wear a dark shirt that provides a contrast with the background.

- I made separate cashier's checks for each applicant. We were 2 adults and 2 kids. So 4 checks with 275, 275, 25 and 25 were sent ( Kids have PIO.) You could aggregate the amount into one cashier's check and it would be fine, but I thought of keeping payment separate for each applicant as it was probably easier for the person reviewing to reconcile the payment with the status of each applicant.

Awaiting to get documents backed from consulate. Will update status as soon as I receive them.

Now, we can technically revert to Indian citizenship in 5 years :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OCI Completed in 5 weeks

Here's my timeline:

Application Mailed - September 30, 2008
Application Acknowledged - October 13, 2008
Registration Granted - October 14, 2008
Photo/Signature Scanned - October 14, 2008
Documents Printed - October 15, 2008
Dispatch from Delhi - October 16, 2008
Arrival at San Francisco - October 25, 2008
Passports mailed to SFO - October 27, 2008
Dispatch from SFO - November 5, 2008