OCI - San Francisco Tracker

From H1 to GC to US citizenship to OCI. I felt i was running IMMIGRATION marathon. I hope this is the end-point.

Good luck to everyone in this forum. This forum rocks :)

06/26/2008 : OCI Application Online
06/27/2008 : OCI papers sent via regular mail
07/15/2008 : Acknowledged, Registration Granted, Photo/Signature Scanned
07/16/2008 : Printed
07/18/2008 : Despatched from Delhi
07/30/2008 : Received at San Francisco
08/02/2008 : Recieved US passport with OCI stamp/Cancelled Indian passport/OCI

Good luck. End point for you, unless you are planning to sponsor parents etc and run some sprints within the marathon :)

My OCI status shows

07/23/2008 : OCI papers sent via regular mail
08/02/2008 : Acknowledged, Registration Granted, Photo/Signature Scanned
08/05/2008 : Printed
08/06/2008 : Despatched from Delhi
: Received at San Francisco - NOT YET

It seems processing is fast...how much time will take to receive in SFO?

My OCI status shows

: Received at San Francisco - NOT YET

It seems processing is fast...how much time will take to receive in SFO?

Generally 1 week to 10-12 days, though I have seen it as low as 3-4 days too.

Journey Completed

Today we received the OCI cards, cancelled Indian passport and PIO and the 'U' visa affixed to the passports.

For timelines
Self:
Mailed 2nd July 2008 Recd by consulate on 3rd July
Acknowledged: 16th July 2008
Granted: 17th July 2008
Despatched:18th July
Rec'd at SFO:25th July (Please note that the status page updates asap whereas the tracking gets updated after a couple of more days)

For Spouse and Kid:
Mailed 21st July 2008
Acknowledged:29th July 2008
Granted and Scanned: 30 July 2008
Docs Despatched: 1st August 2008
Docs Received at SFO: 4th August 2008 (Status page not the online tracker)
Passport mailed: 4th August2008 Recvd by cons on 5th august 2008
Consulate mail back: 6th august 2008
Recvd all docs and the extra photos too :) 7th august 2008
(2 weeks end to end processing for OCI is simply superb)
Pretty impressed with all my dealings with SFO. Great service.

sv786,
Congrats...what do you mean by "Please note that the status page updates asap whereas the tracking gets updated after a couple of more days" in your timeline above?

Whats the difference between "status page update" and "tracking"?

sv786,
Congrats...what do you mean by "Please note that the status page updates asap whereas the tracking gets updated after a couple of more days" in your timeline above?

Whats the difference between "status page update" and "tracking"?

This page from CGI -SF gets updated manually as soon as they receive the card from India: http://www.cgisf.org/oc/granted_oci.html

However, the online OCI tracking is delayed by 2-3 days. This is the URL for the online tracking:
http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp
Hope this clears any confusion

No Acknowledgement Yet

Sent OCI application on 7/25, received at consulate on 7/28 by USPS tracking.

Online status shows application not acknowledged yet. is this normal not to see the acknowledged part yet.

Online status shows application not acknowledged yet. is this normal not to see the acknowledged part yet.

Wait for a few more days - it's taking about 2 weeks, give or take a few days.

Status Timeline in July 2008

Give yourself 2-3 weeks time. If you'd notice, these are acknowledged locally by SFO. You will see the updates happening usually around 3pm PST. The status changes also happen around this timeframe. The only thing that you'd notice is the actual dispatch that happens from India. To summarize
Time from mail-in to acknowledgement: 1 to 3 weeks
Acknowledgement to granted,scanned,printed: 2-3 days
Printed to dispatched: 1 day to 7 days
Dispatched to REceived: 3 days to 10days

Now this is based on this month (July 2008). I am not aware of earlier months (or later months as well). So experience is YMMV

Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO

My OCI status shows

13-AUG-2008 : Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO

But i don't see my FILE on 'List Of OCI cards Receivied' page.

Should i mail: 1. US passport 2. cover letter 3. Copy of OCI Online status page?
I already mailed Prepaid USPS Express Mail with OCI applications. Any other documents i should mail..? Thanks

My OCI status shows

13-AUG-2008 : Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO

But i don't see my FILE on 'List Of OCI cards Receivied' page.

Should i mail: 1. US passport 2. cover letter 3. Copy of OCI Online status page?
I already mailed Prepaid USPS Express Mail with OCI applications. Any other documents i should mail..? Thanks

You don't have to wait for the 'List of OCI cards received' page to update. You can send the above items now. If you want to have your Indian passport canceled, you may send that as well.

You don't have to wait for the 'List of OCI cards received' page to update. You can send the above items now. If you want to have your Indian passport canceled, you may send that as well.

That is correct. If either one has been updated you are good to go. I also noticed that they have started removing numbers of people who have already collected the OCI booklet and U visas.

That is correct. If either one has been updated you are good to go. I also noticed that they have started removing numbers of people who have already collected the OCI booklet and U visas.

The removal of numbers for people who have collected their OCI docs is not something new. We collected in March 08 and our numbers were removed right away. What surprises me is that there are over 1200 names in CGISF list whose OCIs were delivered in 2006 and 2007 and they still haven't collected!

Last edited by a moderator:
The removal of numbers for people who have collected their OCI docs is not something new. We collected in March 08 and our numbers were removed right away. What surprises me is that there are over 1200 names in CGISF list whose OCIs were delivered in 2006 and 2007 and they still haven't collected!
Exactly. That was the reason for my comment. Does it mean those from 2006 and 2007 have not yet collected? I am not sure.

Exactly. That was the reason for my comment. Does it mean those from 2006 and 2007 have not yet collected? I am not sure.

Highest 2007 # in that list is USAS02166107, implying there were about 22,000 or more OCIs issued through SFO, whereas the total count of 2007 #s in that list is about 900. It is fair to assume that those #s are for unclaimed OCI docs. The corresponding count for 2006 is about 400!

Last edited by a moderator:
People cant even bother to collect it or what? And in the meanwhile, some of us worry about the smallest of details! :)
Oh well, whats the world if not all this variety ;)

US possports for OCI stamp - consulate closed 15th

I mailed my passports by USPS priority to OCI stamp..but USPS tried to deliver on Aug 15th when consulate closed. As USPS holds the letter for 5 days for receiver(consulate) to pickup. I called USPS to redeliver..but USPS said i can not request, consulate should arrange to redeliver.
Do SF Consulate call USPS to redeliver as there is notice left by USPS? Should i call Indian Consulate to arrange redeliver from USPS ?

now on i should only mail non-holiday weekdays.

Any opinions,,,thanks.

What about regular Saturdays? Say you mail on a Thu or so and it reaches on Sat, Is the Consulate open on Saturdays?
Does USPS try to deliver on Saturday? What happens?

called USPS at SFO

i Sent an email oci@cgisf - got reply 'Sorry, we cannot ask USPS to re-deliver it. You will have to take care of the issue."

I then called the USPS office at 3245 Geary Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94118. USPS representative was real nice in assisting me. As soon as i mentioned, my package..she knew it was Indian Consulate. She went and checked the mails on hold. She mentioned there were lots mails on hold as Friday and Saturday office is closed. they usually deliver Saturdays ( and holiday in this case) mail on monday morning 9am. Since Friday was also holiday so they delivered friday, saturday and mondays mails today. She was saying consulate got so much mail -she has like 7 pages of documents with list of mails. Told me to give some time and to check the status later. Thanks USPS @ 3245 Geary Blvd.