OCI - San Francisco Tracker

As you can see at http://www.cgisf.org/oc/Dispatch.html, CGISF doens't give you an option to pickup - it's by mail only :(

I see, I read some people go in-person, maybe other consulates like Houston support it, and SFO does not? Oh well - such differences are not uncommon I suppose.

For example, I also saw somewhere SF requires 3 photos, some require 2!?? Thats werid, that fundamental requirements can be different!?

I see, I read some people go in-person, maybe other consulates like Houston support it, and SFO does not? Oh well - such differences are not uncommon I suppose.

For example, I also saw somewhere SF requires 3 photos, some require 2!?? Thats werid, that fundamental requirements can be different!?

Yes, it looks like individual consulates have lot of freedom in how they provide consular services. Some of the differences (and by no means exhaustive) re. OCI that I have observed are:

1. No. of photos required
2. In-person application submission and pick-up vs. mail only
3. Copies of documents: notarized vs. self-attested.
4. Self-addressed stamped envelope vs. check/money for return of passports with OCI docs (even for latter, some consulates ask for an extra $1 for each additional passport).
5. Additional $20 fee for applicants with non-US passports (e.g., Chicago, NYC do, SFO doesn't. Don't know about others).

And of course the processing time, and the level of service provided (e.g., responses to email/phone calls) differs widely.

I think the requirements from Delhi are the same (# of photos, # of copies of application, OCI application fee, etc.) - all others are at the discretion of each consulate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it looks like individual consulates have lot of freedom in how they provide consular services. Some of the differences (and by no means exhaustive) re. OCI that I have observed are:

1. No. of photos required
2. In-person application submission and pick-up vs. mail only
3. Copies of documents: notarized vs. self-attested.
4. Self-addressed stamped envelope vs. check/money for return of passports with OCI docs (even for latter, some consulates ask for an extra $1 for each additional passport).
5. Additional $20 fee for applicants with non-US passports (e.g., Chicago, NYC do, SFO doesn't. Don't know about others).

And of course the processing time, and the level of service provided (e.g., responses to email/phone calls) differs widely.

I think the requirements from Delhi are the same (# of photos, # of copies of application, OCI application fee, etc.) - all others are at the discretion of each consulate.

Ok, thanks. This is a useful compile akgarg, many thanks :)
By the way, for #4, just to re-re-confirm, SFO asks for 'Self-addressed stamped envelope', correct?

Status is updated today. It shows Printed. I'm really impressed with Online Status Enquiry. I cannot believe with all these technology they still continue to handwrite personal details on the passport main page. Atleast that's what they did when i applied my Indian passport in 2005 at SFO.

06/26/2008 : OCI Application Online
06/27/2008 : OCI papers sent via regular mail
07/15/2008 : Acknowledged, Registration Granted, Photo/Signature Scanned
07/16/2008 : Printed

Ok, thanks. This is a useful compile akgarg, many thanks :)
By the way, for #4, just to re-re-confirm, SFO asks for 'Self-addressed stamped envelope', correct?

Yes, they ask for Express mail, but I have read on this forum that people have sent Priority mail with tracking no. and CGISF has accepted that.

Documents Mailed for OCI stamping @ SFO

I'm preparing to send the following documents for getting my OCI @ SFO as soon as i see case status update.

-Original US passport for stamping and Original India passport for cancellation along with paid self address Express Mail or Priority Mail in one Express Mail Cover.

I believe i had earlier sent all the required document to process my OCI application except for the paid self addressed return envelope.

Pls advice if am missing any additional documentation?

Thanks
Kris-colo

I'm preparing to send the following documents for getting my OCI @ SFO as soon as i see case status update.

-Original US passport for stamping and Original India passport for cancellation along with paid self address Express Mail or Priority Mail in one Express Mail Cover.

I believe i had earlier sent all the required document to process my OCI application except for the paid self addressed return envelope.

Pls advice if am missing any additional documentation?

Thanks
Kris-colo

Include a cover letter with File/Acknowledgment#(s) as well. See http://www.cgisf.org/oc/Dispatch.html

Status updated for me too

Status is updated today. It shows UnderProcess. I'm really impressed with Online Status Enquiry.
07/2/2008 : OCI Application Online.
07/05/2008 : OCI papers sent via regular mail
07/16/2008 : Acknowledged, UnderProcess
NOT PRINTED, NOT DISPATCHED.

Application mailed on 07/05/08 not yet acknowledged

We express mailed our OCI applications on 7/05 and were delivered to CGISF on July 7th - still not acknowledged. Is it a cause for concern?

Further progress on the OCI application....

Registration Status Granted On 18-JUL-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On 17-JUL-2008

07/2/2008 : OCI Application Online.
07/05/2008 : OCI papers sent via regular mail
Registration Status Granted On 18-JUL-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On 17-JUL-2008
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 18-JUL-2008

Hi,
I'm ready to apply for OCI for myself, my wife & my son (PIO card holder). I read thru the instructions on the cgisf.org website regarding the OCI application and its still not clear to me. Can some help me understand

1) What documents(incl. photos, # of copies etc) are needed for OCI application? Do I need to send any originals for the first phase?
2) I haven't got my Indian PP cancelled yet. Can that be done during the course of OCI application or should I get that done first before applying for OCI. According to the cgisf.org website the only way to cancel the Indian PP is to go in person there, is that true?
3) Do I need to notarize any documents?

Appreciate your help!

Thank you so much.

3 photos each, $275 cashier's check for each applicant ( maybe not for your son)
Two complete sets of application forms, self notazied photocopies of indian and us passports just the first 2 pages, no originals needed.

I have not cancelled my indian passport either, will send it in with the us passports when I have to mail that in to get it stamped with the OCI sticker.

Hi,
I'm ready to apply for OCI for myself, my wife & my son (PIO card holder). I read thru the instructions on the cgisf.org website regarding the OCI application and its still not clear to me. Can some help me understand

1) What documents(incl. photos, # of copies etc) are needed for OCI application? Do I need to send any originals for the first phase?
2) I haven't got my Indian PP cancelled yet. Can that be done during the course of OCI application or should I get that done first before applying for OCI. According to the cgisf.org website the only way to cancel the Indian PP is to go in person there, is that true?
3) Do I need to notarize any documents?

Appreciate your help!

Thank you so much.

1. You need two copies of the application set. Each set should contain: Part A for each applicant, copies of US and Indian passport of each applicant, copy of PIO card for PIO applicant, Part B for the entire family. 3 photos for each applicant - 2 pasted on Part A in each set, one separately - you can put that in an envelope with the cashier's check or money order ($275/person but only $25 for PIO holder - a single check would suffice). No originals need to be sent.
2. Indian passports can be canceled when you send your US passport to get OCI cards and U-visa stickers.
3. No need for notarizing anything - just self-attest all copies saying "This is a true copy of the original" and sign.

Hope this helps - let me know if something is still not clear :)

Folks,
Do we need to send to SFO 'copy of' the Natz certificate as well? Or is that extraneous and you sent only passport copy?

I have one question regarding the photos. The cgisf website says

"...You must also submit TOTAL THREE (3) PASSPORT SIZE PHOTOGRAPHS IN COLOR FOR EACH APPLICANT with LIGHT BACKGROUND. THE PHOTOGRAPH MUST SHOW FULL FRONT VIEW OF THE PERSON’S HEAD AND SHOULDERS. Each photograph should be of (SIZE 2" inches X 2" inches) ..."

Who takes photos of that size and also with non-white background? So far that I have taken any passport photos they are all based on white background.

photo clarification

I have one question regarding the photo. The cgisf website says

"...You must also submit TOTAL THREE (3) PASSPORT SIZE PHOTOGRAPHS IN COLOR FOR EACH APPLICANT with LIGHT BACKGROUND. THE PHOTOGRAPH MUST SHOW FULL FRONT VIEW OF THE PERSON’S HEAD AND SHOULDERS. Each photograph should be of (SIZE 2" inches X 2" inches) ..."

Who takes photos of that size and also with non-white background? So far that I have taken any passport photos they are all based on white background.