OCI - San Francisco Tracker

Question for akgarg

2"x2" pics are fine - that's what we sent. You are right, part B is not applicant specific. So, if you are applying for a family of 4, then there would be 4 part As and 1 part B and then a second set (of photocopies) of the same.

We are in the process of applying for OCI - when I click application for family ( my husband, I and our daughter), it gives me a consolidated Part A - I am a little confused by the quote that there would be multiple part As and 1 part B. I am thinking the family application results in only 1 Part A.

Are we supposed to choose "individual" or "family" when we start on Part A for 3 people in the family?

We are in the process of applying for OCI - when I click application for family ( my husband, I and our daughter), it gives me a consolidated Part A - I am a little confused by the quote that there would be multiple part As and 1 part B. I am thinking the family application results in only 1 Part A.

Are we supposed to choose "individual" or "family" when we start on Part A for 3 people in the family?

Choose "family" and it should allow you to step through filling in details of each family member that you are applying for. Each member (or applicant) gets his/her own Online Registration# (they should be consecutive, though) and has his/her own Part A of the application. Part B is common for the entire family, so there is only one of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
akgarg,

Is there any advantage of applying individually vs family. Can my spouse and I file separately for OCI instead of as "family"? Are we required to use the "fill in as family" option?

With all these consulates and embassies, I prefer to keep applications separate for less chances of things getting mixed up. I dont mind paying a little extra postage fees etc. for separate app.

akgarg,

Is there any advantage of applying individually vs family. Can my spouse and I file separately for OCI instead of as "family"? Are we required to use the "fill in as family" option?

With all these consulates and embassies, I prefer to keep applications separate for less chances of things getting mixed up. I dont mind paying a little extra postage fees etc. for separate app.

Interesting question :). Never thought of it!

I don't think you are required to apply as a family - you can always apply separately. But I can't think of a useful or valid reason why one would do that - what mix-ups are you referring to?

05/30/2008 : OCI Application Online
06/02/2008 : OCI papers sent via regular mail
06/17/2008 : Acknowledged
06/18/2008 : Registration Granted, Photo/Signature Scanned
06/23/2008 : Printed
06/25/2008 : Despatched to San Francisco
07/02/2008 : Documents Received at SFO Consulate
07/02/2008 : My Passports Received at SFO Consulate (mailed preemptivey on 6/30)

06/25/2008 : Despatched to San Francisco
07/02/2008 : My Passports Received at SFO Consulate (mailed preemptivey on 6/30)

WOW that is a fantastic turnaround..

Interesting question :). Never thought of it!

I don't think you are required to apply as a family - you can always apply separately. But I can't think of a useful or valid reason why one would do that - what mix-ups are you referring to?

Nothing in specific. Also, sometimes spouses become citizen at different times, so anyways, in such cases applying separately may one way.

Just started on the OCI process

Hi All,

I filed the online application, now getting started on the paper application.

Q: The three photos -- do I submit two of them pasted to the duplicate forms and one of them by itself ?

Q: Apart from the certified check for two payable to Consulate General of India, San Francisco and self attested copies of US and Indian passport -- any other documentation needed ?

Q: The form hardly has any place for me and my wife's relatives listing -- did any one apply on a seperate page ?

Q: when I send in my US passport for the sticker, do I send in my Indian passport at the same time for cancellation ?

Hi All,

I filed the online application, now getting started on the paper application.

Q: The three photos -- do I submit two of them pasted to the duplicate forms and one of them by itself ?

Q: Apart from the certified check for two payable to Consulate General of India, San Francisco and self attested copies of US and Indian passport -- any other documentation needed ?

Q: The form hardly has any place for me and my wife's relatives listing -- did any one apply on a seperate page ?

Q: when I send in my US passport for the sticker, do I send in my Indian passport at the same time for cancellation ?

1. Stick one photo on the the two originals and put the third photo in a small envelope. (corrected)
2. No other documentation needed.
3. Note "please see list on separate page", and add a separate page with all relatives listed. Remember to write your names & application number/s on the top of the page.
4. Yes. Send US and Indian passports together later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravi1985,
thanks a lot for the inputs!

tt tt,

I would stick one photo on each copy of Part A, per the following instruction on CGISF website: Out of the Three One ORIGINAL photograph must be pasted to each copy of your application.

This is what I did when I applied six months ago.

that makes sense, they ask for two complete duplicates for each application.
Akgrag -- appreciate the help.
I am done with my paper work will mail it on Sat if USPS is open, else Monday.

I am All Done - 33 days end to end!
BEST to all of you waiting.
06/25/2008 : Despatched to SFO Consulate
07/02/2008 : My Passports Received at SFO Consulate (mailed pre-emptivley on 6/30)
07/05/2008 : Received Passports and OCI booklets in mail.

Submitted online 7/2/2008
Mailed the application 1st class mail 7/5/2008
I am encouraged by pradeepkgupta's timeline of approval.

Immigration nirvana achieved

Received passport in mail last week. SFO consulate is quite professional. Happy to see such response from an Indian government agency. BTW, I used priority mail (with delivery notification) for all my communications since I was not in a hurry. When I sent my passports, I sent $2 stamps for just in case. They happily applied it on my envelop and it was all good.

05/12/2008 : OCI Application Online
05/14/2008 : OCI papers sent via priority mail
05/16/2008 : Delivered
06/04/2008 : Registration Granted, Photo/Signature Scanned
06/04/2008 : Printed
06/06/2008 : Despatched to SFO Consulate
06/23/2008 : Documents Received at SFO Consulate
06/26/2008 : My Passports Received at SFO Consulate
07/02/2008 : Received Passports and OCI booklets in mail.

It has been 7 days

since I mailed in my application, 5 days since they received it, still they have not even cashed the official checks. I sent an email to the oci@cgisf.org email and got back an automated email reply.
Maybe I will wait for a week and then call them up.

since I mailed in my application, 5 days since they received it, still they have not even cashed the official checks. I sent an email to the oci@cgisf.org email and got back an automated email reply.
Maybe I will wait for a week and then call them up.

I read on some thread that the checks are not cashed until after the acknowledgment - so keep checking your online status as well.

I had sent OCI application earlier. I was not able to see my case online until today. Now my case shows Granted/Scanned. My question is whether i need to send the US passport right away or wait until it shows printing status as PRINTED.

Pls advice?

06/26/2008 : OCI Application Online
06/27/2008 : OCI papers sent via regular mail
07/15/2008 : Acknowledged, Registration Granted, Photo/Signature Scanned
??/??/???? : Printed

I had sent OCI application earlier. I was not able to see my case online until today. Now my case shows Granted/Scanned. My question is whether i need to send the US passport right away or wait until it shows printing status as PRINTED.

Pls advice?

06/26/2008 : OCI Application Online
06/27/2008 : OCI papers sent via regular mail
07/15/2008 : Acknowledged, Registration Granted, Photo/Signature Scanned
??/??/???? : Printed

Send your US passport when the status says that your docs have been received by SFO consulate. Next 3 dates would be printed, dispatched from Delhi and received at SFO.

akgarg,

After it has been "received by SFO consulate", can one go in-person and submit the passports, and pick up the OCI stamp same day? Or, does SFO only support by mail option?