OCI - San Francisco Tracker

Finally I send the applications to cgisf. so far notacknowledged.
Sent to cgisf: 07/09/2010
acknowledged: not yet.

Hi m_ghost,
How many day's will it took to receive the Surrender Certificate? once you submit the Indian Passport @ SFO ( They say it will take 15 business days ). I submitted last Wednesday in person

I sent by mail my application for surrender certificate and CGISF recieved it on July 1st. Still haven't got anything back. Any recent applicants for surrender certificate who can shed some light on their timelines?

Also for a minor, what did you guys attach for item #9?
(a) Driving license OR
(b) PG&E, Water or landline telephone bill displaying applicant’s address OR
(C) House Lease Agreement

My son is only a year old and none of these are in his name ofcourse. So what to do?

Hi,

Today i sent my OCI application to SFO, I attached Driver licence copy without 'Self attestation' is this OK?
I did only 'Self Attestation' for first and last photo copy's of US Passport and first two , last two and Visa page from Indian passport.

Without 'Self attestation' copy for Driver licence will not be an Issue right?

Hi,

Today i sent my OCI application to SFO, I attached Driver licence copy without 'Self attestation' is this OK?
I did only 'Self Attestation' for first and last photo copy's of US Passport and first two , last two and Visa page from Indian passport.

BestBuddy - so I take it that you got your surrender certificate back? What was the timeline? Seems like you submitted it on the 7-July....so please let me know....

Edit: Sorry...just read your response....yes...I got the confirmation that htey got it on 1st July.....my return tracking number still doesn't show on USPS.....I guess i will have to give it a few more days....:(

The self addressed return envelope (with delivery confirmation) that I included with my application for surrender certificate was Priority USPS mail instead of Express USPS mail. Is it possible this could have caused an issue??? Would they refuse to process it because of that? Wouldn't they return it if they didn't want to process it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also for a minor, what did you guys attach for item #9?
(a) Driving license OR
(b) PG&E, Water or landline telephone bill displaying applicant’s address OR
(C) House Lease Agreement

My son is only a year old and none of these are in his name ofcourse. So what to do?

either parents copy of DL is fine for a child for item #9.

Hi,

They did not ask for self attestation of DL. Self Attestation is only for Item #8 (which happen to be copies of passports).

Your application should be fine

The self addressed return envelope (with delivery confirmation) that I included with my application for surrender certificate was Priority USPS mail instead of Express USPS mail. Is it possible this could have caused an issue??? Would they refuse to process it because of that? Wouldn't they return it if they didn't want to process it?

Is there going to be a problem because I used a self addressed(paid) return(with delivery confirmation) Priority USPS mail envelope instead of Express USPS mail? Any thoughts?

Per the CGISFO website

A SELF ADDRESSED STAMPED TRACKABLE RETURN MAILING ENVELOPE (only Fedex, UPS, and USPS, accepted) No trackable return envelope…..No service.

I asked the USPS guys and priority mail with delivery conf is not considered a trackable mechanism. But since you have sent it - just simply wait and see what happens.

My cases I have seen they do not react (even for returns) until the time comes to process the thing. So like when I applied in May for OCI - they waited full 25 days b4 returning it to me (becasue of the new SC issue at that time).

Is there going to be a problem because I used a self addressed(paid) return(with delivery confirmation) Priority USPS mail envelope instead of Express USPS mail? Any thoughts?

sg930...thanks for the response. It was my bad for not reading better on their instructions. I did check the status of my money order and it hasn't been cleared yet which means either -
1) they haven't got to my application, OR,
2) they took one look and decided that priority mail is not good enough.

I am crossing my fingers and hoping its the former. And if its the latter, I hope that they atleast send my application back with the priority envelope I sent them and ask me to resubmit. I just dont want it tossed into the garbage because of priority vs express envelope...:(...will see what develops next week. Have until next Friday when the 15 business days is up so that I can send an enquiry email.

I sent by mail my application for surrender certificate and CGISF recieved it on July 1st. Still haven't got anything back. Any recent applicants for surrender certificate who can shed some light on their timelines?
last month I submitted my application pesoannly at consulate and it took only a week to receive the certificate back from CGISFO. since you sent my mail the timing could be different.

Read through the forums and got answer for most. Some of my Questions are lame,
The application needs to be submitted in Two Sets as i understand (the instructions are very confusing)
If SO,
1. For SC, should i submit original in one and photocopy in other set ?
2. The same for Indian Passport, should i submit original in one set and duplicate in other set ?
3. The checklist has 2 passport photographs - Is this in addition to the ones pasted in Appliction form A >

My wife has change of name (maiden to married).. The application says for this case
(1) notarized affidavit and other docs. I have all of them, but inside the affidavit, it says submit advertisement in newspaper in USA and India.. Is this required if name change is from maiden to married ?

I bet they won't toss it to garbage because you have included ur indian pp and the MO - right?
Max they will return w/o processing. When u included the priority mail envelope did u put a delivery confirmation - if so, u can check the status of ur return packet thru that number.

sg930...thanks for the response. It was my bad for not reading better on their instructions. I did check the status of my money order and it hasn't been cleared yet which means either -
1) they haven't got to my application, OR,
2) they took one look and decided that priority mail is not good enough.

I am crossing my fingers and hoping its the former. And if its the latter, I hope that they atleast send my application back with the priority envelope I sent them and ask me to resubmit. I just dont want it tossed into the garbage because of priority vs express envelope...:(...will see what develops next week. Have until next Friday when the 15 business days is up so that I can send an enquiry email.

Hi sg930 - Yes, the priority mail envelope has a paid delivery confirmation tag on it. Thats what I have been trying to track on the USPS site. But so far no tracking on that number. 11 business days have passed thus far. Hopefully the next 3-4 days, either I get my processed pp or returned application. Lets see what happens. With the money order and PP, hopefully they return it soon to me. Thanks for the response.

I bet they won't toss it to garbage because you have included ur indian pp and the MO - right?
Max they will return w/o processing. When u included the priority mail envelope did u put a delivery confirmation - if so, u can check the status of ur return packet thru that number.

Hello jac2005

I am in the same boat as you. I send on thursday july 15 and the usps try to deliver on sat july 17 but the Consulate was closed. The delivery confirmation gives you the same tracking info as express mail or any other mail. The SF consulate just added on friday july 16th, 2010 that for SC the return envelope has to be Express USPS or Fedex or UPS. Still for the OCI application the website does not mention Express Mail. It says USPS with tracking or Fedex or UPS.

Please keep updating your status and I will do the same.

Sarang9, I sure will update my status here when I get any information. Its interesting that you mention that the Express Mail requirement was only instituted on July 16th. So hopefully, they will not hold that against me when when application is processed since mine was delivered on July 1 ...:)

Jac.
Hello jac2005

I am in the same boat as you. I send on thursday july 15 and the usps try to deliver on sat july 17 but the Consulate was closed. The delivery confirmation gives you the same tracking info as express mail or any other mail. The SF consulate just added on friday july 16th, 2010 that for SC the return envelope has to be Express USPS or Fedex or UPS. Still for the OCI application the website does not mention Express Mail. It says USPS with tracking or Fedex or UPS.

Please keep updating your status and I will do the same.

I was reading the FAQ section on the USPS website. I sent in my SC application with a Priority mail envelope with the delivery confirmation tag. According to USPS website such envelopes are not track-able. I have sent a query to CGISF. Hopefully they respond.

Hi,

I applied for the OCI on June 29th 2010.My application has not been acknowledged by the San Francisco Consulate.I need to go to India at the end of August.I am worried that the OCI process may not be completed by the end of August.Should I go to the Consulate and withdraw my Application to get my US passport and Surrender Certificate so that I can apply for a Entry Visa.If any one could suggest what are my best options I would appericiate it.

Thank you
Hello Cool_guy12,

Any update on your application status. I sent on 07/09/10 so mine will be after you.