OCI - San Francisco Tracker

My passport yet to be mailed from SF, (I am tracking through self addressed USPS Express mail) getting a little impatient though they say wait 7-8 days.

Patience my friend ... USPS sites sometimes gets updated after delivery :)
Anyways did you get email from CGI SF ever asking you to send passport?
You know all my process is done but till date the list of OCI received(http://www.cgisf.org/oc/granted_oci.html) doesn't show my number.

My passport yet to be mailed from SF, (I am tracking through self addressed USPS Express mail) getting a little impatient though they say wait 7-8 days.

Did you send your passport via overnight mail? When did it reach SF Consulate?

I've sent mine yesterday and I have travel coming up, so I am curious as to how long they are taking to send the passport back these days :).

Did you send your passport via overnight mail? When did it reach SF Consulate?

I've sent mine yesterday and I have travel coming up, so I am curious as to how long they are taking to send the passport back these days :).

Our OCI app was received on Fri Apr 25th, 2008 at SFO. I sent my passport on Fri Apr 25th. We are leaving for India on May 13th 2008. I am waiting for our Oci cards.

Our OCI app was received on Fri Apr 25th, 2008 at SFO. I sent my passport on Fri Apr 25th. We are leaving for India on May 13th 2008. I am waiting for our Oci cards.

I got email from CGISF on 3/12/08 that they had received our OCI docs. Our son had a flight to Delhi on 3/26/08, so I included a copy of his itinerary and added a request in the cover letter for expedited return. They received our passports by overnight mail on 3/13/08 and put them back in the mail on 3/18/08, and we received them on 3/19/08. Allowing for the weekend, they took just 3 working days to return the passports.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did put a copy of our online resrvation requesting expedited process. Our passports were delivered on Mon 28th Apr. I hope we will get our passports back by next Sat 10th May.

I did put a copy of our online resrvation requesting expedited process. Our passports were delivered on Mon 28th Apr. I hope we will get our passports back by next Sat 10th May.

I am certain you'll get them much sooner than that.

Received OCI Cards and Passports back. The OCI is a booklet which has your personal details, and passport has a VISA and it says lifelong visa. Got for all family members, and received canceled Indian passports and PIO card. They even returned some extra Passport photocopies which were self attested. Overall 84 days from beginning to end for OCI process.

can someone post their timelines for a PIO card??

I see that the OCI is taking roughly 3 months. Assuming one does not have that much time one can wait, i was wondering if someone could share their timelines for a PIO card obtained recently.
I believe it takes roughly 3 weeks, can we expedite it in any way?
I remember when i applied for my newborn daughter 3-4 years back and asked SF consulate folks if i could get it earlier, they said you can call and check if it is available earlier, however they can't guarantee any expedited processing.
Has anything changed since then?
regards, Nitin

It would be a good idea to send them an e-mail also

My timeline - Let's see how many days it takes the passport to come back -

Form A filled - Feb 7, 2008
Form A/B/Docs mailed to SF consulate - Feb 12, 2008
Delivered receipt (from USPS) @ SF Consulate - Feb 13, 2008

ACKNOWLEDGED - April 4, 2008
GRANTED - April 5, 2008
PHOTO/SIGNATURE SCANNED - April 5, 2008
DOCUMENTS PRINTED - April 7, 2008
DOCUMENTS DISPATHCED - April 8,2008
OCI DOCS REACHED SF - April 24, 2008
PASSPORT MAILED TO SF CONSULATE - April 28, 2008
PASSPORT RECEIVED BY SF CONSULATE - April 29, 2008

Do we need to carry the OCI card also when travelling to India?. or just the passport with U Visa sticker is enough?.

Do we need to carry the OCI card also when travelling to India?. or just the passport with U Visa sticker is enough?.

For vacations/family visits, there is no need to take the OCI card. If you are there for employment or investment purposes (or related financial transactions) then it might make sense to carry it.

Thanks. For what it's worth, I have sent them a follow up e-mail. Let's see what happens!

One time they did reply to me - after more than 10 days had passed since dispatch from Delhi, I emailed them to ask when they expected to receive our docs, they replied saying they hadn't up to that time, were expecting them in the next 2-3 days - and that's exactly what happened.

Well, to my complete surprise (a pleasant one that is), I got the "standard" response to my email and, a couple of hours later, a direct response to my request and they said that our passports will be mailed back today! And they even included the tracking # of the USPS Express Mail envelope I had enclosed when I originally applied! So, if everything works as they said, I should have the passports tomorrow (I sent them on Monday and they got them on Tuesday).

Well, to my complete surprise (a pleasant one that is), I got the "standard" response to my email and, a couple of hours later, a direct response to my request and they said that our passports will be mailed back today! And they even included the tracking # of the USPS Express Mail envelope I had enclosed when I originally applied! So, if everything works as they said, I should have the passports tomorrow (I sent them on Monday and they got them on Tuesday).

That's another testimonial to the professionalism of the staff in the OCI cell at CGISF. I am glad you received the same high level of service that I received in March, and hope everyone else is receiving as well.

Last edited by a moderator: